New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#126 2005-09-01 16:51:33

Grypd

Re: Earth Atmospherics/Weather

The one that has everyone worried

Tropical Depression LEE

Lee is in the right place and is feeding from the warmer tropical waters. It is likely to be turned towards the USA within the next 48-72 hours. Though Lee is small at the moment it has potential to be a Cat 1 Hurricane.

The danger lies in if it was to come into the record breaking gulf of Mexicos water. They are the hottest they have ever been recorded at and that is 30 degrees. If a tropical depression enters that waters then it will be quickly "powered up"

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#127 2005-09-02 04:50:29

Palomar

The one that has everyone worried

Tropical Depression LEE

Lee is in the right place and is feeding from the warmer tropical waters. It is likely to be turned towards the USA within the next 48-72 hours. Though Lee is small at the moment it has potential to be a Cat 1 Hurricane.

The danger lies in if it was to come into the record breaking gulf of Mexicos water. They are the hottest they have ever been recorded at and that is 30 degrees. If a tropical depression enters that waters then it will be quickly "powered up"

*Yep.  sad  Shortly after Katrina hit, I commented to my husband that the hurricane season isn't even over yet.  I suppose it's not necessary to say I hope to god Lee doesn't turn into something more substantial...and if it does, at least that it won't steer into the direction Katrina went.  ::shakes head::

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#128 2005-09-02 16:07:44

Grypd

And now if you check the same site here comes Maria. Great two large tropical storms in the "wrong" place for us.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#129 2005-09-05 15:02:53

Palomar

And now if you check the same site here comes Maria. Great two large tropical storms in the "wrong" place for us.

*Hi Grypd.  Hurricane Maria no threat to land.

We certainly hope so, huh?  She's packing 100 mph winds (mid-day U.S., Sept. 5) but so far the only danger is to ships east of Bermuda; earlier today was 475 miles SE of Bermuda.  Travel speed is 8 mph, NW...expected to turn N.  She's expected to loose steam if indeed she does move northward (cooler waters of course).

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#130 2005-09-06 04:41:49

Grypd

all I can say is great and the only other tropical storm is unlikely to head towards land either.

Still more time for storms to develop but it is likely that the very high water tempatures that exist in the gulf of Mexico will start to cool soon, more good news.

#131 2005-09-07 07:58:14

C M Edwards

And now Ophelia.

Odd to name a storm after a Shakespearean drowning victim...

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#132 2005-09-07 08:33:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

Looks like a glancing blow to the east coast of Florida..

#133 2005-09-07 08:39:49

Palomar

And now Ophelia.

Odd to name a storm after a Shakespearean drowning victim...

*They make a list of names to follow in line well in advance of the Hurricane Season, don't they?  But yeah...some association.  sad

45 mph gusts currently, slow strengthening expected.  SE Georgia mentioned as possibly being affected by heavy rainfalls.  A relief for the Gulf Coast anyway.  Hopefully nothing will drastically and suddenly change...probably won't.

--Cindy

::EDIT::  This quote from Yahoo! news (Hurricane Nate -- no threat to U.S.):

Elsewhere in the Atlantic, Tropical Storm Nate intensified into a hurricane south of Bermuda, and Tropical Storm Maria was upgraded to a hurricane again over the open ocean.

At 11 a.m. EDT, Nate had strengthened into a hurricane with top sustained winds of 80 mph. It was centered about 230 miles south-southwest of Bermuda and was drifting north near 3 mph. It could pass near or just south of Bermuda by Thursday, but was not expected to threaten the United States, forecasters said.

Forecasters said new observations showed that Maria was still a hurricane with 80 mph sustained winds. They had earlier downgraded it to a tropical storm. It was moving northeast near 14 mph toward the colder waters of the north Atlantic.

Nate is the sixth hurricane in a busy Atlantic hurricane season. The season began June 1 and ends Nov. 30. Peak storm activity typically occurs from the end of August through mid-September.

#134 2005-09-07 14:01:25

Grypd

Right Ophelia though still a tropical storm is building in strength though for the most part stationary. For those reading this who do not know the atlantic waters are cold and it is unlikely any Hurricane can get to more than a level 2 in just the Atlantic waters alone. Not enough energy to feed of. Water temp about 5 to 6 degrees

But, If one of these tropical storms can enter the Gulf of Mexico then they will find very very hot water (30 degrees). This is how Katrina a level 1 hurrican became so powerful.

#135 2005-09-07 20:51:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Stationary near the warmer gulf stream waters, which you noted can only supply so much energy to this storm.

#136 2005-09-08 06:19:21

Palomar

*You've heard of the mirage called "green flash from the Sun"?  How about this:

Green flash from the Moon

That's the first and only time I recall seeing such a photo. 

An added "bonus":

Careful inspection of the full image reveals a corresponding red rim along the lower edge, another intriguing signature of atmospheric refraction.

--Cindy

#137 2005-09-08 08:14:42

DonPanic
Website

#138 2005-09-08 14:18:36

publiusr
Banned

#139 2005-09-09 11:08:42

Palomar

Ophelia the fickle...

*She's been a TS, then a Hurricane (briefly -- yesterday), now a TS again...and may become a Hurricane yet again early next week.  Her winds have dropped to an average of 65 mph but may increase to 74 mph.  Ophelia also might strike land.  Local residents are being warned.

--Cindy

#140 2005-09-09 12:08:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

The five day forecast for direction suggests a south carolina land fall.

#141 2005-09-12 06:59:55

Palomar

Ophelia "idling" -- lingering

*Geez, what's up with this storm?  Is still classed as a Hurricane, as it has sustained winds of 75 mph (74 mph is the mark of a Cat 1).  It's situated aprox 215 miles SE of Charleston as of this morning.  So far its outer bands of rain haven't yet reached land, though there is concern of possible coastal flooding.  Is moving very slowly.  I wonder if it'll move further out into the Atlantic (turn NE) and merely fizzle out. 

--Cindy

#142 2005-09-12 10:51:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Weebles wobble but when will ? ????????
[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9201397/]Ophelia sits off Carolinas, loses hurricane label
Indecisive storm causes heavy surf and some evacuations[/url]

The governor also ordered a mandatory evacuation of nonresidents from fragile Ocracoke Island on the Outer Banks, reachable only by ferry.

#143 2005-09-12 16:58:38

Grypd

Ophelia is moving now 3mph going NE and it is losing a lot of its power. I hope by the time it hits land its only a squall.

#144 2005-09-13 10:09:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

#145 2005-09-14 18:11:19

Grypd

Ophelia is a hurricane again, They sure named this one right what a fickle monster

#146 2005-09-15 05:56:10

Palomar

Ophelia is a hurricane again, They sure named this one right what a fickle monster

*That's for sure.  Update

"Tortuously slow crawl" -- that's apt.  roll  Sustained winds yesterday of 85 mph.  Is soaking North Carolina, though the anticipated storm surge wasn't what they'd expected (11 feet).  Also, flooding fears for some might prove unfounded (thankfully).  Oak Island got pounded with a foot of rain. 

They're expecting Ophelia will turn back into the Atlantic later today or Friday.

This is definitely one of those "gee whiz, would you DO SOMETHING ALREADY or just go away?!" types of storms.  ::shakes head::  You almost wish it had a butt to kick.  LOL!  tongue

If I lived there, I'd be beyond exasperation with the situation.

--Cindy

#147 2005-09-16 10:17:40

DonPanic
Website

LO

More powerfull hurricanes to come

http://www.ucar.edu/news/releases/2005/ … tudy.shtml

#148 2005-09-16 11:19:45

Palomar

CloudSat & Calipso

*Two new Earth Observation (weather...of course) satellites to be launched possibly as soon as October 26.  They're slated to be launched from Vandenberg AFB in California.  Will blast off via Boeing Delta II rockets.

They will be launched into a polar orbit, and maintain a close formation. CloudSat has an extremely powerful cloud-profiling radar, which can distinguish between cloud particles and precipitation. Calipso will be able to detect aerosol particles in the air, and can tell the difference between these particles and clouds to measure the amount of air pollution.

--Cindy

#149 2005-09-19 11:29:59

Palomar

*Oh lord...here comes Rita:

Hurricane Warnings Posted for Florida Keys
AP - 56 minutes ago
KEY WEST, Fla. - Officials ordered residents evacuated from the lower Florida Keys on Monday as strengthening Tropical Storm Rita headed toward the island chain, threatening to grow into a hurricane with a potential 8-foot storm surge. Although Rita's immediate threat was to Florida, rough projections of its track raised the possibility that the Louisiana coast could be targeted less than a month after Hurricane Katrina devastated the area.

We sure hope not, huh? 

Yahoo! article

--Cindy

#150 2005-09-19 19:18:23

DonPanic
Website

LO
What's really worrying when chatting with people opposed to human impact on climate change is that they mostly do criticize scientific results with ideological arguments instead of arguing on things like that
roll

Board footer