New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-08-16 05:50:37

Palomar

Re: Biowaste-Powered Batteries

Read me

*Was going to put this in the  Medical Science Potpourri thread in the Science & Technology folder, but decided to place it here instead. 

Applications for Mars use (and other manned missions)?  Seems quite promising.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-08-16 07:15:52

SpaceNut
Administrator

I guess a temporary waste water useage but if you get into an environment where it is cold not only would it freeze but the power output would also decrease with the colder that the battery gets to freezing.

Then how do you dispose of a spent battery, as bio hazard or is it something else?

#3 2005-08-16 12:34:31

Rxke

IMO, this is kind of a non-invention.

Instead of using water, they use urine, so good for throwaway urine samplingsets that needs some electrical use, but nothing groundbreaking at all. 18th C technology, in essence.

I could see it *maybe* having uses in disaster areas, war theatres etc. where electrical infrastructure is non-existant or dstroyed... A quick, but potentiallly high-tech test for ... stuff, but not much use in the developed world, or in space, for that matter.

#4 2005-08-16 19:39:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Just had a memory flashback; of a wrist watch that worked by adding drops of water.

#5 2005-08-16 20:28:02

Commodore

If you have to use up all your pee to power electronics, what are you going to drink? lol

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#6 2005-08-31 14:29:02

Mace
Banned

six billion people on Earth...countless animals...i wonder how much energy could be made from that...?
a few people on mars....probably no animals....lots of energy needed for life support....I don't think this will replace solar cells any time soon  smile

Board footer