New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-08-10 14:25:12

Palomar

Re: Mars close to the Earth...Is this true??

*Hi Maria. 

http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … 81]Answers to your questions here (my post dated July 22).

Is not a once in a lifetime event (Mars has been and will be "close" to Earth again).

Also, Mars won't appear as large as a full moon.

Hope that helps.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-08-13 11:38:50

Stormrage

If Mars did appear has large has the moon may god save us all. The gravitational pull from it will cause more then high and low tides.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#3 2005-08-13 14:05:25

Rxke

Too lazy to check with Cindy, but: http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic … ght=#76006 is some info

I'm getting slightly suspiious here...
Looks like trolling, this. WTF: nothing on internet? Several people posting this in semi-exactly same wording...

Hmmm...

#4 2005-08-15 21:11:24

Ayesha Abreu

It seems that an e-mail was released recently informing about the next encounter of Mars with the Earth; apparently a once in a lifetime experience not to be missed by any living human.

Supposedly on August 28th., Mars will appear in the sky as bright as the moon and it will be possible to observe it without using a telescope.  I read that his already happened in 2003 so I will appreciate to receive any useful information about the veracity or not of this spectacular event.

Thanks

#5 2005-08-16 04:20:38

Rxke

A once in a lifetime experience... Every 2 years, yeah...  roll

Look people, this is getting silly, several people have already posted about this  in several places. Several people have already answered it's NOT TRUE (cluehammer)

Is it too much to ask to at least read before you post? The answer is in this very topic, see Aug 1à post by Palomar.

Grumble.

#6 2007-05-22 03:18:57

wtwt5237

I seriously ask the forum to delete this topic, which tells things of too long ago! Totally rubbish and is no news to us.

#7 2007-05-22 08:59:09

cIclops

wtwt5237 if you hadn't updated the thread it would have faded away.

This story actually made quite big news at the time, so it's of historical interest. It's also a good reminder of how chain emails can cause so much confusion and spread disinformation. If we delete this then a lot more of the forum would have to go too smile

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#8 2007-05-22 22:30:36

wtwt5237

Why doesn't this forum set aside a special place for 'Great threads in history'!

#9 2007-05-22 22:41:03

noosfractal
Website

Each post is dated.  The threads of each forum are sorted by last post.  Simply ignore those that don't meet your personal criteria for age limit.

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

Board footer