New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-11-21 16:09:28

Mars
Banned

Re: School project - Life on Mars

smile  Doing a project on living on mars somethime in the future, I need to describe two potental sources of water and three soureces of energy and any information would be helpful.
Thanks

#2 2002-11-21 16:47:00

Byron

Re: School project - Life on Mars

Hi!

Well, I think you could kill two birds with one stone by locating a geothermal source of water, which is possible if you drilled deep enough into the regolith.  The water would come up under its own pressure, and it could be harnessed for energy as well.

The obvious source of water on Mars, however is the polar ice caps...just chip a bit off and melt it, although this would require a good deal of energy.  As for energy, I think the two best bets besides geothermal, would be solar and nuclear.  Hyper-efficient solar panels (I'll let Josh explain the details of that  wink  do have the potential to provide a majority, if not all of a settlement's energy needs, although I think a nuclear power plant of some sort would be needed as a backup system.

Anything else you need, just let us know  smile

B

Board footer