New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-07-27 05:40:55

Palomar

Re: Contest: Build a Better Glove

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish … ml?2672005

*Checked Search; didn't find this as having already been posted.  Since this folder's description includes suits, I thought I'd put it here.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-08-03 10:51:53

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sort of goes along with my other post on spacesuits in the human thread:

[url=http://www.connpost.com/business/ci_2888824]Local Company Suits up for Space Travel
Business designing special suit to aid in Mars mission[/url]

Astronauts exploring space and walking on the moon have all worn gear designed and produced by the workers at Air-Lock Inc.
Now the engineers and machinists inhabiting the little factory that looks like a series of old Army barracks off Milford's Gulf Street are developing a new suit to clothe the first Mars exploration teams.

NASA throws down the gauntlet to glove designers

99997719F1.JPG

NASA is looking for next-generation spacewalk gloves, and announced its new design competition on Friday.

The space agency will award $250,000 to the team that designs and creates the best glove – challengers will go glove-to-glove in a competition in November 2006.

#3 2005-08-04 09:50:37

Palomar

*No doubt it's already been proposed, considered, thought of...

Must gloves be so bulky and cumbersome?  Can't a salve/ointment/cream be created (or has it been and failed, and I'm unaware of this) which works similar to a sunblock (except it blocks radiation)?  It could be applied thickly to the flesh of the hands/wrists, and lighter/more flexible gloves worn over?

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2005-08-05 14:30:29

Commodore

Is it even possible to make SPF 10,000?  tongue

We may find our time is better spent developing mechanical extentions like those found on Robonaut.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

Board footer