New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-07-28 18:44:52

clark

Re: Martian Myths

Post your thoughts on Martian Myths here, be it stories, lyrics, poetry, or what you think they might be.

Myths generally try to explain a natural environment, or a phenomenon, or recount some type of shared history.

#2 2005-07-28 18:46:11

clark

deleted

#3 2005-07-28 21:37:56

srmeaney

Why Mars is Red

look where the boar and the child race
alone and afraid is the fleeing child.
angered is the boar, bloodied and mad
red crimson life dripping to the land.

-Phobos and Diemos causing Mars to be Red

#4 2005-07-28 21:44:29

srmeaney

The Hammer of Thebadin

Mighty is the hammer of Thebadin

Saw did I the Hammerfall
and feel the shake of anvil.

Jewel of empire ever-shattered
For shatter and break did it all.

Mighty is the hand of Thebadin.

-456 my
The Wordsmith describing the asteroid that killed Earth leaving Martians all alone in the Universe.

#5 2005-07-31 20:27:09

Palomar

Why Olympus Mons is So Big & The Atmosphere So Thin

-or-

Genie in a Bottle...Sort Of

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aeons ago, when the Solar System was young, all the planets except Ouranos, Neptune and Pluto were close to each other and Sol. 

Sol's warmth nourished her children.  Mars' atmosphere flourished and  waters freely flowed.

Mars looked about at his cherished family: 

Sister Saturn with her flashy, sporty rings.

Brother Jupiter, full of might and adored by his myriad satellites.

Cousin Earth with his vast abundance of water, lush atmosphere and myriad forms of life sprouting forth upon him:  Would Earth prove to be the pride of the Solar System?

Sister Venus was far to vain to allow scrutiny beneath her thick, chaotic clouds. 

Cousin Mercury's progress was overwhelmed and unknowable in the brilliance of Mother Sol. 

The Spirit of Mars ignored Venus' snooty spurning and Mercury's blind devotion to Sol.  Mars determined to give Cousin Earth some competition in flora and fauna.

And then tragedy struck.

The rebels Ouranos and Neptune began pulling with their gravity on the rest of the family.  The Spirit of Mars was astonished and saddened to discover he was moving away from his kin!  And they from him.

Brother Jupiter ... so far away.  And, to make matters worse, an Asteroid Belt had come between them; now forever separating the brothers.

Oh Cousin Earth, must I lose you into the distance as well??

Mother Sol grew fainter and her warmth shone less upon the forlorn face of her 4th child.

The Spirit of Mars saw that it possessed but two puny, indifferent moons.  Neither of its moons were round nor colorful nor glorious like Brother Jupiter's nor Cousin Earth's. 

Where there'd once been familial communion and light there was now cold, dark space.  Mars' atmosphere lagged.  Its cascading waters froze and became immobile.  Mother Sol flung out solar flares and coronal mass ejections; her temperament was now unpredictable and the result was further loss of atmosphere.

Dejected and depressed, the Spirit of Mars resolved to gather up most of what atmosphere remained, leaving only a shell behind, and reside until The Time of the Rejuvenation in a small volcano named Mons. 

The Spirit of Mars and its precious possession, the atmosphere, stole into Mons.  Alas, so great was their presence that Mons stretched and swelled until about to burst apart at the seams.  Content and cozy, the Spirit of Mars hybernates to this day in Olympus Mons, dreaming.

And when The Time of the Rejuvenation comes with its human hosts, the Spirit of Mars will rejoice and release the atmosphere once more.

Then shall come soft rains and the hope for life.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2005-08-01 19:27:55

clark

deleted

#7 2005-08-03 14:22:09

Palomar

Why Mars has Dust Devils

The Spirit of Mars, hybernating for aeons within Olympus Mons,
daily sends out bits of Itself.

Sentinels.

In the late afternoon, as brassy Solshine washes over crimson
canyons and rugged brown yardangs, the Sentinels zip along
checking Martian integrity and well-being.

New probes?  New orbiters?  And what of the old ones?

Rockslides?  Volcanic activity?

Toasty CME energies spilling over the planet?

The Sentinels then re-emerge with the Spirit of Mars, and
knowledge is satisfied.

Until tomorrow.

-*-

[Feedback on any of my stuff is welcomed, always.  Trash it, compliment it, whatever...  smile  Of course I'm writing these in the context of "fairytales for children" and along those lines]

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#8 2005-08-03 16:57:25

clark

deleted

#9 2008-03-02 13:24:01

JoshNH4H
Website

Valles Mareneris

Earth had so much life, and mars none at all.  So mars made life.  she allowed life to evolve, in the then thick atmosphere.  But then she became old.  In its age, the atmosphere escaped, and the life, in its youth, could not survive without her.  She opened her mouth one last time to say goodbye, and to apologize, but it became frozen in place for her death

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
what do you think?

-Josh

#10 2008-05-02 11:55:24

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Those don't look like any of the myths about Mars, I heard about. The one about Mars being a dying civilization of canal builders.

#11 2008-05-03 06:15:00

JoshNH4H
Website

they're more like native American stories to explain the world.

-Josh

Board footer