New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-04-09 12:40:54

Planet@lien
Banned

Re: Nanomachine Dirt

Could the work of nanomachines help make the humans on Mars life better.

I believe we could use them to make fertile soil and help the food grow much bigger than it would on Earth.

Also The lower Martian gravity would help the food grow.

If we kept greenhouse domes to a certain level of carbon doixide would also help stimulate plant growth

There are old astronauts, and there are bold astronauts, but there are no old bold astronauts
                                        Quote - Ben Bova

#2 2005-07-17 16:28:13

Mace
Banned

Rather than using such devices to manipulate the soil to the needs of the plants, why can we not genetically engineer the plants to our needs. After all, on a closed environment, the plants do not need to waste energy on bark, protective membranes, or even store water for dry seasons. If the plants are already engineered for the environment, then we won't need nano-machines at all.

#3 2005-07-17 16:29:43

clark

why not grow food in vats then?

#4 2005-07-17 16:48:15

Mace
Banned

vats of water? im not sure if the ability to grow food in water is perfected yet. I've always wondered if there are any negative aspects to it.

#5 2005-07-17 16:49:52

Mace
Banned

vats of water? im not sure if the ability to grow food in water is perfected yet. I've always wondered if there are any negative aspects to it.

#6 2005-07-17 17:03:24

clark

Well, gene modding the plants to grow without bark, protective membranes and the ability to store water is way beyond our current ability.

More than likely, plants grown off planet will be grown under low pressure conditions (not to mention lower gravity). Low pressure causes plants to act as if they are in a constant state of dehydration (they can't keep the water).

Right now scientists are working to identify and improve those plants that can thrive in these conditions. I think that is about as far as we can go for the next 10-20 years.

As for vat food, we could always grow some kind of protein rich fungus. Might not taste too good, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.  big_smile

#7 2005-07-17 17:21:33

Mace
Banned

I wonder if this fungus could be adapted to supply all the needs of a person. Who needs plants anyways? While gene research with takes its time, we could use the fungus for all colonies.

Taste is relative. We could always add something for flavor. For example, chicken flavor, beef flavor, orange flavor.

#8 2005-07-17 17:32:20

clark

True, but have you ever had soy ice cream?

Sure, one can grow used to the taste, but it is hardly the "same thing".

Plants are useful for a psychological aspect. A world full of red... you're going to want some green and color to make you sane. No?

#9 2005-07-17 17:41:40

Rxke

True, but have you ever had soy ice cream?

I'm not a vegetarian, but I think good soy ice-cream tastes far better tan regular one. And I know lots of people do. Maybe the 'Alpro' brand is just superior soy stuff, I dunno...

#10 2005-07-17 17:43:05

Mace
Banned

Soy milk is ok. As true taste, perhaps it would be better for us Earth people to hold onto that. It would be a profit making luxury good. As for keeping people sane, we could simply install cable TV and give them a bunch of computer games. In time they will forget the outside world. After all, many people today live in cities of metal and cement. I know people who never even saw a farm! I guess some ornamental plants could be grown, but fungus could still be the main food source.

#11 2005-07-17 19:04:46

clark

So people would go to Mars to forget about Mars? What kind of life is it to just play video games and watch cable TV?

Rxke, what brand of soy ice cream is better than the real thing? I will buy a gallon if you tell me.  big_smile

#12 2005-07-17 19:21:46

Mace
Banned

Reading books, sleeping, eating, repairing stuff. How much time does a person even spend frolicking in nature? Even if we spend millions of dollars on a high-tech greenhouse for our colonists to run about in, we can never simulate the real thing unless it is "simulated" (electronics, 3-d graphics, etc.).

Admit it, more and more people are already losing touch with nature. For those people who just can't bare leaving the homely feeling of nature, they could just stay on Earth. I'm sure we could get many people willing to go especially if we offered material goods.

Is soy ice cream made from soy milk? Just wondering.

#13 2005-07-17 19:25:07

clark

People are losing touch with nature?

So then those who want to go to Mars want to escape nature? Or those who want go don't mind losing out on what nature has to offer?

I think soy icecream is made from soy milk, but I could be wrong.

#14 2005-07-17 19:29:27

Mace
Banned

The second one. I see workers everyday who work in tiny little cubicles. No windows, no plants, just humming lights and a computer to type on all day. How much would they have to change their lifestyle to do that on Mars?

#15 2005-07-17 19:45:35

clark

Most people who do that now are not happy with the situation. Going to a place that precludes any other alternative seems like a recipe for disaster.

"Abandon ye all hope."  big_smile

However, I do understand your point of view.

#16 2005-07-17 20:03:36

Mace
Banned

I wonder if nano-machines could help in growing fungus. I keep thinking of how certain species of ants raise fungus in their nests. Maybe our robot could do the same thing, that is supplying little sprays of nutrients to parts of the fungus.

Board footer