New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-06-25 16:41:21

Stormrage

Re: How far have you come?

I'm sorry if there is a similar thread. I couldn't find it. I want to know how far you guys have come to realise the Mars Direct idea. Did you guys get the money you needed to implement your ideas or was the whole thing about getting NASA and ESA do it instead?

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

#2 2005-06-26 12:49:14

Rxke

Basically Mars Direct was/is Zubrin's way of explaining to  the world (and NASA of course)  that going to Mars can be done 'today' with existing tech, that you don't have to build huuuge spaceships for that.

There's no money for that in the Society. We're talking about a couple of billions here. Ad a lot of people say he's too optimistic with weight-requirements etc...

#3 2005-06-26 19:07:01

Stormrage

Oh i get it. So in other words he is trying to convice NASA to see that going to Mars is possible NOW and better then going to orbit all the time.

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

Board footer