New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-05-28 09:45:58

Palomar

Re: Russian Lake *Disappears* - !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050 … ussia]Whoa Nellie  yikes

*Good grief.  :-\  I'm definitely in the "never heard of something like THIS before" ranks. 

As dramatic as it sounds, I can't imagine actually witnessing it.  Wow.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2005-05-29 00:55:57

Weave
Banned

Oh            Well! big_smile

[size=18:sig_uid]WEAVE[/size:sig_uid]

#3 2005-05-31 05:52:45

SpaceNut
Administrator

Sounds like someone pulled the plug from the bottom of the lake just like in a tub of water.

Any other word on where the water went or of its cause?

#4 2005-05-31 13:08:27

Palomar

Sounds like someone pulled the plug from the bottom of the lake just like in a tub of water.

Any other word on where the water went or of its cause?

*Hi SpaceNut:  I've not seen an update on this story.  The only explanation offered so far is from the original article:

Government officials theorize that a shift in soils underneath the lake opened access to an underground channel that drained the water, estimated from several thousand to more than a million cubic yards, into a subterranean cavern. From there, it may have flowed into the Oka River a few miles away.

The channel-to-the-river theory has gained credence during the last week, as several fishermen along the Oka reported catching 35-pound carp. The species has been found in the lake but not the river.

Interesting that over the years various "things" disappeared (laundry, a church, caves, bats)...then all of a sudden, >>wham-o!<< the whole frickin' lake is gone.  ::shakes head::

If anyone sees an update, please post it.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer