New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2005-04-20 09:08:30

srmeaney

Re: An Ethics Exam for Mars Citizenship - If you were rejected, what would you do?

Is there even a future for Ethics in the New humanity?

#2 2005-04-20 09:26:33

Palomar

Re: An Ethics Exam for Mars Citizenship - If you were rejected, what would you do?

*Oh Mr. Meaney, I'm a shoo-in for Mars.   :;):

Okay, in all seriousness:  I'd try and resolve the matter in court -- especially if no reason were given for being turned down.  I wouldn't sue nor go through endless court appeals; I'd simply want to know, and formally challenge the decision at least once.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2005-04-20 09:39:39

srmeaney

ecrasez_l_infame Posted on April 20 2005, 11:26

*Oh Mr. Meaney, I'm a shoo-in for Mars.   

Okay, in all seriousness:  I'd try and resolve the matter in court -- especially if no reason were given for being turned down.  I wouldn't sue nor go through endless court appeals; I'd simply want to know, and formally challenge the decision at least once.

--Cindy

Oh dear God, I'm being refered to as Mr Meaney.

You have obviously got around to looking at the Word doc I sent you on establishing a Mining Colony on Mars as first priority.

#4 2005-04-20 09:44:17

Palomar

ecrasez_l_infame Posted on April 20 2005, 11:26

*Oh Mr. Meaney, I'm a shoo-in for Mars.   

--Cindy

Oh dear god, I'm being refered to as Mr Meaney.

*Sorry, Sean. 

Is that your preference; first-name basis? 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#5 2005-04-20 09:52:58

srmeaney

MarsGov slaps a TOP SECRET sticker on your file and tells you it's processes of review are not open to Negotiation or Discussion.

#6 2005-04-20 09:58:15

Palomar

MarsGov slaps a TOP SECRET sticker on your file and tells you it's processes of review are not open to Negotiation or Discussion.

*I'd have to accept their decision, then.

--Unless-- of course family members had been approved and already arrived on Mars, and it was certain I could go too...and now I've been denied and they (family) aren't coming back.  Hmmmmm.  If that were the case, I'm not sure what I'd do.  :-\

--Cindy

#7 2005-04-20 10:27:36

Cobra Commander

Insufficient information.

What are the stated goals/policies/reasons behind the entity carrying out the mission. I'll assume it's the "Commonwealth", though that essentially kills the entire topic as the scheme is unworkable.

What reasons are given for rejection?

What is required to get into the running in the first place. Submitting an application and training in isolation for two years are very different things.

Is the entity backing the mission upfront and honorable in its practices?

How many other entities are preparing/launching missions and how amenable are they to defectors from the competition?

On and on. Depending on all these factors and more the answer could be anywhere from "accept it" to "terrorism", or rather "assymetrical warfare" as I really haven't the stomach for senselessly killing innocent civilians to make a point.

But evil and willing tools of the oppressor are no problem.  cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#8 2005-04-20 10:37:01

srmeaney

What reasons are given for rejection?

None. For security reasons, MarsGov has declared the results TOP SECRET. You are required to pass an Ethics Test to qualify for Mars Citizenship. You are told the Results are final.

ecrasez_l_infame

--Unless-- of course family members had been approved and already arrived on Mars, and it was certain I could go too...and now I've been denied and they (family) aren't coming back.  Hmmmmm.  If that were the case, I'm not sure what I'd do.  :-\

--Cindy

You overhear your neighbour talking about bribing his way in to Mars Citizenship. Do you turn him in?

#9 2005-04-20 11:00:04

Palomar

ecrasez_l_infame

--Cindy

You overhear your neighbour talking about bribing his way in to Mars Citizenship. Do you turn him in?

*It would depend on that person's character and his/her motives for wanting to go to Mars. 

--Cindy

::edit:: 

CC:  But evil and willing tools of the oppressor are no problem.   cool

:laugh:  Cobra...

#10 2005-04-20 11:15:47

srmeaney

*It would depend on that person's character and his/her motives for wanting to go to Mars.

As Yoda would say: "That is why you fail."

#11 2005-04-20 11:26:42

Cobra Commander

You are not a Jedi yet.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#12 2005-04-20 11:30:27

BWhite

You are not a Jedi yet.

David Brin says Jedi are elitist scum.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#13 2005-04-20 11:33:39

Palomar

You are not a Jedi yet.

:laugh:  Cobra...I needed that. 

Sean, I've answered your questions.  You answer with a quote by a fictional character?  :hm:

You think I've failed somehow.  Que sara sara.  :shrug:

--Cindy

#14 2005-04-20 11:37:02

Cobra Commander

You are not a Jedi yet.

I could take a jab here, but I'll refrain, except to say <waves hand>  You will renounce the Commonwealth.

#15 2005-04-20 11:39:30

srmeaney

Ok Cindy. The News announces that the body of a rejected applicant is found in the apartment next to yours. Do you hold MarsGov responsible?

#16 2005-04-20 11:45:52

Palomar

Ok Cindy. The News announces that the body of a rejected applicant is found in the apartment next to yours. Do you hold MarsGov responsible?

*No.  Innocent before proven guilty.  I wouldn't know until/if I had strong evidence that foul play was at work...and barring any evidence I can't consider MarsGov guilty based on speculation.

Although I'd suspect them (along with other possibilities such as suicide, heart failure/sudden natural death, etc).

--Cindy

#17 2005-04-20 12:03:40

srmeaney

Ok. The news releases a statement that there was a suicide note. The note informs the world that your neighbour has committed Suicide to protest the Unsympathetic and impossibly high standards at work in the MarsGov selection criteria. Do you agree?

#18 2005-04-20 12:12:08

Palomar

Ok. The news releases a statement that there was a suicide note. The note informs the world that your neighbour has committed Suicide to protest the Unsympathetic and impossibly high standards at work in the MarsGov selection criteria. Do you agree?

*I'd wonder if the suicide note were planted there by MarsGov.

And I'd have to be familiar with what exactly are the high standards MarsGov has before I could agree or disagree with what the note allegedly says (if indeed the dead person wrote it).

--Cindy

#19 2005-04-20 13:05:38

srmeaney

BWhite Posted: April 20 2005, 13:30 

Is that because 99% of all Jedi are Non Humans? Or is it because the Sith are Multicultural in their Membership criteria?

#20 2005-04-20 14:17:38

reddragon
Banned

Fight not only the decision to reject me in court, but the entire requirement of passing an ethics test to go to Mars. :angry: If you require people to pass an ethics test to go to Mars, you require them to conform to a certain set of moral values, which they may or may not agree with and may have good reason to disagree with. Who decides what beliefs a Martian should have about right and wrong? This kind of required belief kills the intellectual diversity and dissent that lead to new ideas and ultimately, one hopes, a better civilization. You destroy the philosophy that allows us to decide what is and isn't ethical. You can't force Martians to be good people even if you try to exclude those who don't meet your definition of good.

Will people born on Mars have to take the ethics exam? If they fail will they be deported to Earth?

How do we decide what kind of beliefs you must have to go to Mars? There will be plenty of people in the Martian settlement, both liberal and conservative, who are honestly trying to make their country a better place, just as there are in any country on Earth. But they will disagree. Most will be at least partly misguided in their attempts to help. By any set of standards, not everyone will be perfect no matter how much you try to discriminate. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#21 2005-04-24 11:16:32

clark

An Ethics Exam for Mars Citizenship, If you were rejected, what would you do?

Per usual, I do not see my choice offered.

I think I would get over it.

No where is it said that you need to be a "Mars Citizen" to go to Mars.

Silly nutters.

#22 2005-04-25 09:04:28

Fledi

You're right clark, how would that Commonwealth stop anyone else from building their own spaceships and going to Mars or anywhere else?

#23 2005-04-25 12:08:18

clark

You're right clark, how would that Commonwealth stop anyone else from building their own spaceships and going to Mars or anywhere else?

I would assume they would stop others by using less than ethical means.  :laugh:

Is it ethical to deny others access to areas based on a secret criteria, a secret system of judgement, and a secret review of grievance?

To be judged and punished by a system with no apparent legitimacy, other than its own self-proclaimed authority, is a mockery of individual rights, not to mention the basic ideals of which the CommonWealth supposedly stands for.

Nice inversion. :laugh:

#24 2005-06-25 21:26:30

idiom

How would an exam be set? Well they failed to guess what ethics system we are using so they failed?

Exams generate unethical behaviour in attempts to pass them.

Come on to the Future

#25 2005-06-26 18:40:34

Stormrage

There should be an exam that governs the people who are elliglbe to come. The tests will be

Can they speak english properly?
Are they Fit?
Are they to old?
Are they disabled?
Are they mentally stable? (Less crazy people and murders/rapers)
Do they have any anger problems?
Do they have any uncurable contagious diease? (This question is about dieases that can spread in anyway and form. Other dieases that are allowed is Alzheimer's or Parkinson's cause they can't spread.)

If all of these are added into the test then the people leaving to live in Mars will be assured that the worst bunch have been picked out and that they won't get infected

"...all I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by."

Board footer