New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-01-21 19:23:38

asdfghjkl
InActive

Re: How do "we" get back from mars? - for my essay

I mean like what routes and such.

THIS IS URGENT! HELP! :bars: due tomorrow

and, no, I wasn't putting it off...

[url=http://forumofstuff.proboards34.com/index.cgi]http://forumofstuff.proboards34.com/index.cgi[/url] MY FORUM ^_^

#2 2005-01-21 20:57:04

Euler

The easiest way(in terms of the amount of energy it takes) is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohmann_tr … it]Hohmann transfer orbit.  It takes about 260 days and the launch window only occurs once every 26 months.  Using only slightly more energy can shrink the time significantly; a typical mission using conventional rockets will assume a 180 day transit time.  There is also an option that uses a Venus flyby.  This both takes longer and requires more energy than the direct rout, but the launch window occurs at a different time that might be more convenient for some missions.

#3 2005-01-21 21:11:21

SpaceNut
Administrator

If I recall the flight from Earth to Mars has a few months worth of windows to try within. Why only one window coming back? ???

#4 2005-01-21 21:21:00

Euler

There is really only one optimal window for going each way.  The window lasts for several months if you have a bit more energy than is necessary for the Hohmann, but you still have to wait until Earth and Mars are lined up in the same way before the next good window.

#5 2005-03-18 09:34:54

srmeaney

We dont come back. We go to stay. Comming back is a waste of resources. Plant the flag of the Stellar Commonwealth and enjoy your 'job for life' employment plan.

#6 2005-03-31 14:27:56

Fledi

yup, no need to come back

just don't forget to send supplies every 2 years smile

#7 2005-04-02 12:38:57

Dook
Banned

Why would we go to mars to stay?  First of all it's probably not even possible with our current level of technology.  How are you going to provide food, water, oxygen, CO2 removal, and electricity to those people stranded there?

We know nothing about using hydroponics on mars.  We don't really know what way is the best to get water from mars regolith.  Microwave emitters?  Drill down and pump in hot CO2?  CO2 to oxygen conversion systems produce miniscule amounts, hundreds of them wouldn't be enough to keep even one person alive.  Electricity could be nuclear with supplemental solar, just hope it never fails.  The settlers would need to be able to completely repair or replace every device. 

We need to conduct more experiments before we make an attempt at colonization and I personnally don't think there will ever be anything more than a small crew on mars until it is terraformed enough to at least provide atmospheric pressure.

#8 2005-04-07 04:13:18

Fledi

One man requires about 2 tons of food+water+oxygen to survive for a year, given that nothing is recycled. Energy can be produced with a small fission plant. Add maybe another 2 tons of other supplies/year and you can support 10 people on mars for two years with 80 tons of supplies.
Of course it would be very important to get that number down as soon as possible through in situ production, but it doesn't seem to be impossible to support some people, if there is a basic infrastructure in LEO from which these supplies can be launched.

#9 2005-04-08 05:40:01

srmeaney

That is why it is not just 80 tonne of food for ten people for two years. It is one hundred tonne of food for ten people for two years and the pre-established ability to produce that mass in locally manufactured water as well as the triple redundancy of every single piece of equipment.

This won't be like the hubble. You can't afford even one mistake.

As to getting home from Mars, It will need to be roomier than a capsule. It will probably need to be a Space hotel with engines. You know, A 'Spaceship', landed on the underside of Phobos for the mission period, and then flown home at the end of the mission. The method of propulsion determines the path. If you are going for the Capsule with pusherplate and continuous nuclear detonations version, 3(+/-1) months in a straight line from earth orbit to where Mars will be.

And Dook,

You can go to Mars on current Technology. It just means that the first ten people who get there will need to assemble housing for a hundred and be constantly supplied with an overwhelming volume of resources. Beyond that ten, you must have the ability to mine and process resources. You must dig big cave network drag an airlock into the tunnel behind you and live undergound for the rest of your short martian life.

#10 2005-04-08 06:07:12

Dook
Banned

What would be the purpose of leaving people on mars permanently?  It's not necessary.

#11 2005-04-08 06:20:03

srmeaney

Colonization. Otherwise what's the point of going to Space?

Mining will be different though. It wont be dump the unusable element in that pile over there. It will be what can we make with this? Lead might be the popular choice for radiation shielding tiles for domes on the surface.

Board footer