New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2005-02-05 13:27:07

Pulaskee
Banned

Re: Tubes, Rails, Planets. - some simple questions i havent seen.

Hi, i have a few questions, many about tubes, rails, and planets. lol these questions i havnt found answered here as far as i know. (too many pages for me to go through, and search didnt come up with anything)

One, with tubes and rails how dose one plan on compisating for the orbit of the planets?
Two, if useing a 'floting' or LEO base how will that efect the earths atmosphere and oceans?
Three, what about them astrods? arnt we bound to hit one some time? or are they moveing at the same rate as earth and mars?
Fore, what are the altitudes of the planets figuring the sun as zero? i would think this would couse many trobles.

Ok im done. thanks.

I am an amateur at best.

#2 2005-02-05 18:39:05

Martian Republic

I'm not sure I know what your asking.

"One, with tubes and rails how dose one plan on compisating for the orbit of the planets?"

I assume your asking about space elevators and levitated trains into orbit.

The space elevator will have to have a counter balance weight in a Geocentric orbit which is about 33 thousand miles up or so or otherwise it would be unstable and would collapse. The levitated trains system which does not go all the way into space, but would use the momentum to finish getting into space would have to be anchored on Earth so it could stand weight for the launch.

"Two, if useing a 'floting' or LEO base how will that efect the earths atmosphere and oceans?"

Our LEO base would not have enough mass to generate gravity to affect either the earth’s atmosphere or oceans. So it would have virtually no effect on the earth’s.

"Three, what about them astrods? arnt we bound to hit one some time? or are they moveing at the same rate as earth and mars? "

Depending on how big those asteroids are, now they could cause a problem. Sooner or later an asteroid of sufficient size could hit the earth and they have hit earth in the past. One of the advantages of building a colony on the Moon and/or Mars would be that we would have the technology to intercept those asteroid and take them out of the way before they might hit the earth. But, currently we do not have that kind of capability today.

Larry,

Our

#3 2005-02-18 23:56:38

Pulaskee
Banned

Forgive my lack in posting, things cought up to me and i had to take time to handel them. You answered the questions right on, exsept the Planitary orbits one, which i might have not asked well. lol lets see if i can do it better.
if we were to set the the Sun as 'sea level' were whould the other planets be? ex: Sun,0 Mirc,+50 Ven,-10 Ear,+1 Ast,+60through-60 Mars,+1. i think you get the idea? Thanks

Also, though it should probly be elswere, What affect would the atmosphere on external Human skin be? i bet this is a dumb question but i realy have forgotten. lol if i had more time i would read up more. thanks.

I am an amateur at best.

Board footer