New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-09 11:10:26

RobertDyck
Website

Re: Mars Needs You - Call for volunteers

Mars Needs You!

The Mars Society has many projects on-going or planned. We need volunteers to participate. At the last convention, the Steering Committee and Chapters Council decided to create a volunteer coordinator to record all volunteers within the Mars Society willing to participate, and match them with projects. I volunteered for that position, and Jean Legard is helping by creating database software. Everyone who wants to participate is asked to step-up and inform me. For example, when the Mars Society needed a banner for World Space Congress, we emailed our idea to a member/graphic designer in NY who put it in high-resolution format, then emailed it to a member/printer in OH for printing, who mailed it to Patt Czarnik for display. We need members to assist with everything. All skills are welcome and needed, from creative writing for first words, to contacting luminaries spanning the whole 'celebrity' spectrum, to graphic arts for banners and news letters. We also need individuals willing to work on technical projects like mechanics to work on analogue rovers, people who can sew to work on analogue space suits, farmers and agronomists to help plan the greenhouse, anyone who knows construction to help build the next analogue habitat, computer programmers to develop simulation software, geologists to help develop a soil simulant, as well as electronic technicians and engineers of every specialty. Of course we always need people to start new chapters, and lobby politicians to support space.

This is your chance to get involved. There are many, many needs in the Mars Society. If you have a particular skill or access to resources please email me; MARS NEEDS YOU !

Robert Dyck
rbdyck@Chapters.MarsSociety.org

#2 2002-10-09 11:33:54

Nida
Banned

I saw at the mars society page that some members set up a booth at a county fair. Do lots of members do that? Sounds like it'd be fun

happy holidays :0)

#3 2002-10-10 20:02:19

Phobos

I saw at the mars society page that some members set up a booth at a county fair. Do lots of members do that? Sounds like it'd be fun

I like that idea of setting up an exhibit at a county fair.  The last time I went to one they had a high power rocketry exhibit with booths full of cut-away rocket engines, big colorful posters on how rockets work, etc.  Yep, we could unfold a little booth next to the John Deere exhibit and extoll the virtues of going to Mars while wearing straw hats and chewing on strands of hay.  I'd like to put up big colorful posters and maybe print up a bunch of well designed, well illustrated pamphlets that would outline how Mars Direct would work and reasons why space development is important.  Can't leave out the space elevator stuff either. smile  I think I'm going to look into that.  Oh yeah, I think it would good to make models that illustrate some of the features of Mars Direct also.  It'd be fun talking to all of the people who come by and take interest.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer