New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-10-07 01:31:04

Gibbon

Re: Getting there

Does anyone know if any of the Mars missions are planning on travelling to Mars through the paths where the gravity wells of the different planets cancel each other out. I just took a crash course in movement of satellites etc in physics class today (I had to miss THE most important 2 days last term!)
my teacher mentioned that it is now possible to map where these areas of zero gravity are and that they allow space travel with a fraction of the energy.
Anyway, hope someone can make sense of my ramblings.

Only 13 days of classes left before I have to study for my end of SCHOOL exams, oh joy!

#2 2002-10-07 19:21:34

kalizarin
Banned

Does anyone know if any of the Mars missions are planning on travelling to Mars through the paths where the gravity wells of the different planets cancel each other out.

Exactly what planets were you thinking of using, that would lie on a path between the Earth and Mars?  There are no such planets.

There are places where the gravitational forces between two bodies balance (such as the Lagrange points between the Sun and the Earth), but they would not form "paths" that you could travel along.

#3 2002-10-08 08:01:46

HeloTeacher
Banned

There was an article about this on one of the science news pages and a thread on this forum.  A search through the history should locate it.

"only with the freedom to [b]dream[/b], to [b]create[/b], and to [b]risk[/b], man has been able to climb out of the cave and reach for the stars"
  --Igor Sikorsky, aviation pioneer

Board footer