New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-21 05:43:36

Palomar

Re: An Issue

*I don't like seeing advertising here at New Mars.  For the 2nd time in a week we've had folks advertising stopping smoking techniques.  On top of it, two separate threads have been created in Free Chat for the same issue (stopping smoking).

Can the moderators address this issue?  Or are we now going to tolerate trolling?

C'mon! 

I get enough of advertisements on TV, radio, billboards, the internet.  I don't want to come to New Mars and see MORE advertisements!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-12-21 05:50:31

Palomar

http://www.newmars.com/cgi-bin/ikonboar … ;t=720;]Oh -- now it's *3* advertisements to Free Chat

regarding stopping smoking in a week!  And thank you Graeme for echoing my sentiments.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#3 2004-12-21 06:24:07

Cobra Commander

Okay, for the record:

No advertising on New Mars. Doesn't mean you'll get banned for mentioning a product or service in conversation if it's relevant, but use some sense. Spam posts will be unceremoniously deleted. Repeated offenses may result in banning the user, at least in cases where all their posts are spam, as in the case mentioned above.

Josh or Adrian may change this at any time and at their discretion, but until such time I'll proceed on these guides.

Carry on.

:::EDIT:::
Just caught another one. I'm deleting them as I find them and warning the users, bans to follow shortly I suspect.

Edited By Cobra Commander on 1103632283

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2004-12-21 12:16:27

Josh Cryer

Cindy, relax, it takes time to address these minor issues, you're not required to read obvious spams. Most people are so desensitized to spam they actually ignore it.

You're doing great Cobra, very well actually, my email has apparently been out for some time now, so I wasn't getting PMs forwarded properly.

twinkchua is the offending poster, no (since the posts were deleted it was a bit troublesome to get their name)? They're banned now.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#5 2004-12-21 12:29:35

Palomar

Cindy, relax, it takes time to address these minor issues,

*It first occurred a week ago.

Yes, I realize no one is required to read spam messages.

I just don't like seeing them here.  These weren't tucked away into existing threads, they were created as threads -- Subject Lines.

As New Mars seldom has issues at all, I don't consider this as "minor" -- especially not when a 2nd person then began posting anti-smoking ads and the 1st person created yet a new thread for it.

Trolls can multiply quickly.

Just my opinion.

--Cindy

P.S.:  The 1st person posting the ads was "Lyra" or "Lyra1" -- can't recall which.

P.P.S.:  And nothing was said publically or privately about the ads until the 2nd thread for them was created over a week's time span.  I don't think anyone here is being impatient.

#6 2004-12-21 12:55:26

Palomar

*Um...I just re-read my first post and yeah, I guess I reacted a bit too strongly.  Check the time:  I was posting at 5:45 a.m. and got a bit more riled up than I normally do. 

Just forget I said anything.  Thanks.

Maybe it's time I took a vacation.

--Cindy

#7 2004-12-21 12:59:00

Cobra Commander

twinkchua is the offending poster, no (since the posts were deleted it was a bit troublesome to get their name)? They're banned now.

Yep, I should've sent you that info. Sorry.

As Cindy pointed out there was also a post by "lyra", though I was unable to find that name in the member list this morning after nixing the post.  ???

As I recall there was yet another username attached to one of them as well, though I don't recall what it was.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Board footer