New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-12-17 14:03:57

Leifur
Banned
Website

Re: Borked Topic - Nine replies to my thread, unable to see

To my thread in the martian politics section have been posted 9 comments of wich I posted 2 or 3. But suddenly the comments are not able to be seen. Can someone fix this, or explain how this happened? The thread can be seen http://www.newmars.com/cgi-bin/ikonboar … t=113]here
One of the newest member of this great and interesting forum,
Leifur

Leifur

Es. [url=http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2776]Private creation and enforcement of law on Mars
Old-Icelandic/ Anarco-Capitalistic system on Mars[/url]

#2 2004-12-17 15:16:46

Palomar

*Hi Leifur:

I checked it myself.  Odd; I've never seen Ikonboard behave like this.  Your original post is there, and I'm able to "+Add Reply."

In column format it still "registers" that there have been 9 replies to your thread (I have previously read those posts)...yet they're gone, even though your original post remains (as you indicate in the title of this thread).

Usually when a thread borks (or whatever it's called) here, the entire thread collapses.  We've had a handful (thankfully it's a rare thing) of new threads collapse -- including one I started.  :-\

I'm sure one of the moderators will reply swiftly.  Welcome to New Mars! 

Sorry this happened to your thread.  sad

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-12-17 17:45:19

Leifur
Banned
Website

Thank you very much, and I hope so to. I have actually been looking for a good forum about science and specially about Mars, I newer thought there was anything close to how professional and dedicated this web is. I was just trying to take part in that tradition, and had had interesting discussions about possible (howewer unlikely) future development of martian politics, but sadly it has mostly disapeared.

Hopefully will it be salvagable, and or that new people will participate in this discussion with me and others. I am though rather afraid that what I am trying to say has not come correctly out, as my english is not good enough, and I have not had enough time for it, that will change soon. Best wishes,

Leifur

Leifur

Es. [url=http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2776]Private creation and enforcement of law on Mars

#4 2004-12-18 03:43:45

Leifur
Banned
Website

Ups, now I intended to try to fix my thread by taking a recent picture of the flag of Mars (red-green-blue tricolor) out of it, but then my post disapeared all together. Is there nothing that can be done?

Leifur

#5 2004-12-18 06:55:54

Palomar

Ups, now I intended to try to fix my thread by taking a recent picture of the flag of Mars (red-green-blue tricolor) out of it, but then my post disapeared all together. Is there nothing that can be done?

*Unfortunately it seems your thread has entirely collapsed now.  sad  The flag being in the post wouldn't have made a difference. 

I don't know if it is fixable.

I'm not sure my memory is correct, but months ago when someone's thread collapsed, I thought a moderator made a comment about "trying to build the topic back up" -- which seems to be something they can do with moderator controls.  But I am not sure if my memory is good or correct about this.

Good luck.  I'm really sorry your thread borked, especially as you are new here.  sad  Bummer!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2004-12-18 12:31:09

Cobra Commander

Yep, completely collapsed, everything seems to have been whisked off to the netherworld by the New Mars gremlins.  :angry:

Having nothing else to try I've deleted the topic (or what was left of it) and sent Leifur a PM about the issue. Hopefully he'll decide to repost it, if for no other reason than the "Martian Politics" forum has been a bit thin of late and could use some meaty discussion.  big_smile

It just occurs to me as well that I may have saved a copy of the page Thursday, though it would be on the office "work"station. No promises, but if I have a copy I'll repost it Monday unless the thread is restarted and picks up.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#7 2004-12-19 02:41:36

Leifur
Banned
Website

I am going to repost this soon, maybe though try to have it clearer what I am trying to say and say it in fewer words. But can anyone tell me how put a picture by my name? Is it maybe not possible for anyone that is as new as me?

Leifur

#8 2004-12-19 05:14:52

GraemeSkinner
Website

I am going to repost this soon, maybe though try to have it clearer what I am trying to say and say it in fewer words. But can anyone tell me how put a picture by my name? Is it maybe not possible for anyone that is as new as me?

I presume by picture by your name you mean an avatar, if you go into "your control panel" then click on "personal info" you can then select "avatar options" from the list. You can either add an image from the preset list or add your own (instructions are on the screen on how to do it).

Graeme

There was a young lady named Bright.
Whose speed was far faster than light;
She set out one day
in a relative way
And returned on the previous night.
--Arthur Buller--

#9 2004-12-20 09:35:16

Josh Cryer

Sometimes if you make a really long post it's a good idea to save it in your notepad (when you make a post there's a little "save to notepad" button there), or just save it on your computer. I dunno why, but New Mars seems to dislike really large posts, and threads totally and completely go kaput if it has a lot of them on one page. sad

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#10 2004-12-20 15:05:40

Rxke

Yes, i think Josh is right, your initial post was rather long (nothing against that, it was well worded etc, interesting reading...) and the New Mars 'engine' see;ms to have problems with long posts... Maybe set the restriction to a lower number of characters (is that possible?)
My guess is, when posts are close to the max of characters, and then you edit them, some 'hidden' or maybe 'meta'data gets added, leading to the collapse??

So, better to post consecutive smaller posts than one big post, I guess... just to be on the safe side.

The observed tendency that topics get borked when there are a lot of posts, is probably wrong, it's just a matter of probability: if you have a topic with say 200 posts, chances that one of those posts are 'too big' increase... esp when discussions get heated, and quotes get longer etc...

Leifur, I hope the 'borking' of your topic does not discourage you to contribute again!

Board footer