New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-09-24 09:06:35

Number04

Re: After the mission? - plans for additional missions

First off, I am brand new here, so take it easy smile

I don't know if this has been discussed here before or not, but here it goes.

After we send a manned mission to mars, what then? what kind of plans do you guys think would be feasible for colonization and populating the red planet?

#2 2002-09-24 19:28:29

Phobos

After we send a manned mission to mars, what then? what kind of plans do you guys think would be feasible for colonization and populating the red planet?

Welcome aboard #4 smile.  At the moment the plan seems to entail sending other habs to various parts of the planet until  significant portions of Mars have been explored and then to start clustering habs together into something of a base.  Personally, I think we should just skip the other steps and start clustering the habs together immediately.  We can just build long range rovers that could circumnavigate the planet, or travel over a good part of it anyway.  Even though the scientific objectives are the most important, I'm more interested in doing things like creating efficient greenhouses, extracting water, making concrete, etc.  In other words, developing the technology and techniques needed to make a Mars colony fairly self-sufficient.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#3 2002-09-24 21:26:34

PaganToris
Banned
Website

welcome aboard #4 i am PaganToris i like to post obnoxious firums posts to if u see me talking bout me or phobos then dont be alarmed smile

ZIGIE ZOKKIE  ZIGIE ZOKKIE OY OY OY
if u know what show thats from than where cool smile

#4 2002-09-25 09:35:33

Number04

gotcha.

any idea what the timeline would be for that? ie, What would we send first? At what point would minning and all that jazz be a good idea?

#5 2002-09-25 17:43:08

Phobos

any idea what the timeline would be for that? ie, What would we send first? At what point would minning and all that jazz be a good idea?

I really have no idea when the best time to start operations like mining would be, but I'm a supporter of the idea that a fairly small colony might be able to manufacture some of the goods its needs with microfactories that process raw materials.  If we can find deposits of useful materials that don't require us to dig down far or crush billions of tons of rock to get a handful of X element, we could probably mine rather efficiently with small-scale but powerful equipment.  I'm thinking of posting pictures of some of the small scale equipment that exists now that could be used on Mars with modifications.   And to all the skeptics out there, I'm not saying we can build huge cities like this, but we might be able to produce the materials we need for small concrete buildings, spare parts, or whatever.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer