New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-21 22:12:20

petey
Banned

Re: Native American Names for Mars? Help!?! - Discussion

Hi all...

My first post here. I've been looking up other cultures' names for the planet Mars. Many are easy to find because they're used in naming the valleys on the planet. But of all the cultures' names I've found, I still haven't found much of Native Amercan name for the planet - just the Incan name "Auqakah," and the Abenaki tribe of Quebec's "Misengwe."

I feel like there must be many more, but I've done numerous searches and have found nothing. I've seen a lot on Native American names for stars, so I figure all the tribes must have SOME name for Mars. Any help out there?

Thanks,

Pete

#2 2004-10-11 19:00:18

The Fed Man
Banned

Try contacting a Native American.

#3 2004-11-12 21:28:01

Maryjane
Banned
Website

Hi well it apears I either can't figure out how to work the bold and italiks and text collor or they don't work.

Anyway I am new and was looking for another cool science forum. I hope I found one I like. Also hope there are live people on here on the weekends :;):

As for Mars not having many native Amarican names I hadn't thought of that untill reading this post. The North Amarican Natives call the strars, grand father stars and we are the star children. as for names to be sure there are many famouse chiefs one could pick from or several legendary places and things mentioned in native traditions. If interested I could find a few.

Well that's it for me for tonight I just more or like wanted to intruduce myself, I didn't see a new comers post anwhere.

Dunes of Mars Warior Princes

#4 2022-08-06 08:52:47

Mars_B4_Moon

A Native Culture scifi movie, different to StarTrek, Blade Runner, the Matrix, Alien, 12 Monkeys, 2001, Back to the Future, Firefly, Farscape, StarWars etc

'Prey': How 'Predator' prequel makes history as Hollywood's 1st franchise movie to star all-Native American cast
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pre … 54578.html

Board footer