New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-09-22 07:10:09

NovaMarsollia
Banned

Re: Martian Development: - Extremism or Mainstreamism?

I know I'm not a popular figure here, but just before I leave you all in peace to debate exactly how your going to colonise Mars, I've got a serious question for which I welcome both short and long answers (which will no doubt be either serious or  non-serious):

Do Mars Developers consider themselves visionary 'Extremists' (radical technophiles, say) or do you consider yourselves visionary 'Mainstreamists' (mainstream technophiles who merely plan to apply advanced technology to a new geographical site)?

Also, the same question should be asked with regards to your politics. How many of you consider yourselves mainstreamists (postulating a political economy on Mars roughly the same as what goes on today here on Earth) and how many of you consider yourselves radicals/extremists (postulating a radically different society on Mars)?

Also, again, how do you see you technological and political values fitting in with environmentalism? Are you a radical environmentalist or a mainstream environmentalist? Which kind, if any, of environmentalism do you ascribe?

Yeah-- I realise it all depends on your definition of radicalism/extremism/mainstreamism, but answer the question according to how you define these terms.

Thanks in advance.....

#2 2002-09-22 07:21:36

Adrian
Website

Typical false dilemma question: 'either you are x or you are y' without accounting for the possibility that there may be something in between x and y.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#3 2002-09-22 07:59:23

NovaMarsollia
Banned

Your welcome to explain why or how you are 'in between'. ???

#4 2002-09-22 08:11:59

Adrian
Website

I don't consider myself to be a technophile at all, which is what you assume all of us to be. I think technology is something that enables us to do things that were previously not possible - the application of technology is what is important. As for politics, I am neither mainstream nor radical - it's likely that the political system on Mars will initially based upon current models on Earth, but will gradually evolve due to the different economic and environmental pressures, much as America did.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#5 2002-09-23 07:15:28

clark

This question is absurd.

"Radical" or "extremist" implies some type of fringe- it has a negative conotation which only serves to detract from a discussion predicated on theory supported by available facts and historical precedent.

Your view of "mainstreamist" also assumes that current contemporary behavior and norms will continue indefinetily.

Shall we reduce all views to either "it'll be the same as earth" or "it'll be different from earth" to such simplistic terms without acknoledging the information that leads us to believe where upon the spectrum of economical, politcal, philosphical, etc that will ultimely develop on Mars?

Even the application of current technology on a new geographical area can lead to varied "radical" or "extreme" changes in the social structures. Hell, even a new geographical area cna lead to this.

Otherwise, labels are for lazy people who don't like to think for themselves or think in general..

Now why is it that the poster of this thread didn't think it was neccessary to at least answer their own question...

Board footer