New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-10-31 17:50:47

ERRORIST

Re: Tidal forces on Titan???

Could Titan be close enough to Saturn so that Tidal forces are constantly changing the surface similar to Jupiter's Moon Io and Europa?

#2 2004-11-02 06:09:19

NorbertGiesinger
Banned

Titan is in a locked orbit, revolution is equal rotation.
HOWEVER, due to the eccentricity of its orbit of 0.029, there will be quite significant tides (far stronger then on earth) with a period of about half the revolution time around saturn.
The tides due to the forced eccentricity of Jo are 1-2 orders of magnitude stronger.
Decades ago, i wrote a short article for the german "Sterne und Weltraum" concerning the tides on Titan. I have the paper not at hand, but if I remember correctly, I think the calculated equilibrium tide hight (deformation hight of an iedal liquid) was about 34 m (on earth it is about 1.3 m)

#3 2004-11-02 08:05:06

C M Edwards

Preliminary data is sparse.  However, Titan appears fairly flat, Norbert.  A tidal rise anywhere close to 34 meters in a global scale ocean - even less than a quarter of that - would show up as apparent changes in topography every time Cassini passes.

Let's see if you're right.  (It should show clearly enough.)

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#4 2015-09-07 20:19:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

removed color post pid id's just decided to fix it any ways

#5 2015-09-21 12:08:10

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

NorbertGiesinger wrote:

Titan is in a locked orbit, revolution is equal rotation.
HOWEVER, due to the eccentricity of its orbit of 0.029, there will be quite significant tides (far stronger then on earth) with a period of about half the revolution time around saturn.
The tides due to the forced eccentricity of Jo are 1-2 orders of magnitude stronger.
Decades ago, i wrote a short article for the german "Sterne und Weltraum" concerning the tides on Titan. I have the paper not at hand, but if I remember correctly, I think the calculated equilibrium tide hight (deformation hight of an iedal liquid) was about 34 m (on earth it is about 1.3 m)

the only thing is Titan's oceans aren't global, they are more like lakes actually, they can't slosh around like they do on Earth. Titan might have some other oceans however under its surface, much as Europa has.

#6 2021-05-21 04:09:18

Mars_B4_Moon

There have been ideas for planes, helicopters, submarines and balloons. Now its a sample return?

Scientists ponder how to get samples from Saturn's weird moon Titan
https://www.space.com/saturn-moon-titan … rn-mission

#7 2021-05-21 20:16:30

SpaceNut
Administrator

If it were not for the billion dollar price tag I am sure Nasa would have done it long ago...

#8 2021-05-30 16:29:36

Mars_B4_Moon

Titan sample return mission being explored by NASA engineers
https://www.spaceflightinsider.com/miss … engineers/

Reports also say China is planning a Voyager-like mission to the outer solar system
https://spacenews.com/china-to-launch-a … ar-system/
China to launch a pair of spacecraft towards the edge of the solar system

Lucas and Babin Urge NASA not to Diminish Planetary Exploration
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=57465
'The letter comes on the heels of the first images sent back by China’s Mars rover, marking another milestone in the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) pursuit of leadership in space.

At the same time, NASA has announced delays in its execution of the Planetary Science New Frontiers Program, which is our primary means of exploring our solar system through missions like New Horizon’s mission to Pluto, Juno’s mission to Jupiter, the OSIRIS-Rex asteroid return, and the future Dragonfly mission to Saturn’s moon Titan. Instead of prioritizing exploration, NASA is increasing its focus on Earth Science and environmental observations.

“China’s accomplishment and the Biden Administration’s retreat from planetary science exploration present a stark contrast today,” Lucas and Babin wrote. “With the significant increase proposed for Earth Science, and the significant decrease from the previously proposed budget request for NASA, we are concerned that a significant reprioritization within NASA will undermine planetary science exploration.'

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2021-05-30 16:31:23)

#9 2022-10-02 16:18:02

Mars_B4_Moon

NASA's Dragonfly Helicopter Will be Exploring This Region of Titan
https://www.universetoday.com/157847/na … -of-titan/

In June 2027, NASA will launch the long-awaited Dragonfly mission toward Saturn’s largest moon, Titan. By 2034, the 450 kg (990-lbs) nuclear-powered quadcopter will touch down at its target landing site (the Selk crater region) and begin searching Titan’s surface and atmosphere to learn more about this curious satellite. In particular, the mission will investigate the moon’s prebiotic chemistry, active methane cycle, and organic environment. These goals underpin Dragonfly’s main objective, which is to search for possible signs of life (aka. “biosignatures”) on Titan.

For years, scientists have speculated if life could exist on Titan since it appears to possess all the necessary ingredients (though not for life as we know it). This curiosity has only deepened since the Cassini–Huygens mission, which spent thirteen years exploring Saturn and its system of moons (from 2004 and 2017). Recently, a team of Cornell researchers combined and analyzed radar images taken by Cassini to determine the properties of the surface. The result is a detailed map of the Dragonfly‘s landing site, revealing a landscape of sand dunes and broken-up icy ground.

Scientists depict Dragonfly landing site on Saturn moon Titan
https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Scie … n_999.html

Board footer