New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-24 11:18:00

Palomar

Re: Cosmic Cosmetics

*Interesting item from space.com's "Astronotes" (in column format; must copy and paste):

September 24

Cool Cosmetics

It’s a space spinoff that you can meet face-to-face.

An advanced simulation tool for super-fast cooling, utilized in Europe’s Ariane launcher program, has been tapped to create a new skincare product: “Ice Source®”.

The advanced simulation code used to simulate the operation of the Ariane rocket engines was adopted by Thermagen, the company behind the innovation.

"The combination of the ultra-fast cooling with a special set of skincare ingredients, including a rare extract of Arctic raspberry, provides an immediate lifting effect when applied on the skin,” explains Fadi Khairallah, founder of Thermagen.

Thermagen and its partners Cosnessens and Eurosphere presented the skin care product in a special launching event earlier this week in Paris.

“Improving the efficiency of cosmetics is definitely not the most obvious use of our technology from spacecraft launchers, but after more than 200 transfers of space technologies, I have learned that space can provide the most astonishing solutions to everyday life on Earth," says Pierre Brisson, Head of the European Space Agency’s Technology Transfer and Promotion Office.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-09-24 12:13:33

C M Edwards

Is that related to those new over the counter "flash freeze" wart removers?   big_smile

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2004-09-24 12:18:12

Palomar

Is that related to those new over the counter "flash freeze" wart removers?   big_smile

:laugh: 

That's a good question!  I don't know.

...teehee... 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-09-24 18:44:02

Shaun Barrett

Any danger of 'flash freezing' your nose right off?!!   yikes   tongue   :laugh:

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

Board footer