New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-21 07:03:45

Gennaro

Re: Searching for This Book - Hasn't anyone written it?

I'm after some sort of 'popular' representation of possible rocky planets that might circle other stars, a sort of listing of types of planets that might be out there. It should answer questions like "is a swamp planet like Degobah possible?", "would a rocky planet significantly larger than earth have to be an ocean world (of considerable depth)?", "what about an ultra-tropical world with lots of water and cloud formation to reach equilibrium for a kin to Venus. Would the temperatures be agreeable with human colonization?", "what about planets with methane atmospheres, ammonia, desert planets" etc?

I've read a book called "World Building" by Stephen L. Gillett, which approximately fits the category, but trouble is it was rather cursory, dealing mostly with Earth, badly dispositioned and somewhat confused.

Web sites that cater to the subject of world building scenarios seem to centre entirely on the Earth.
Anyone got a suggestion? Are there any books about possible aliens that throughly brings up the planetary basis of their existence as well?

Anyone around here who enjoyed playing a PC-game called "Master of Orion II" or similar? If so, then think about it like this: if done in a scientifically valid way, what planets would be likely to encounter in the game?

#2 2004-09-21 15:42:05

C M Edwards

If you find Gillett's book cursory and confused, you may have needs beyond what popular works can fulfill.  You may need to look for a suitable textbook.

Amazon recommends a few.  Any that strike your interest can be ordered using interlibrary loans at a university or participating library, without having to purchase them.  My local university library charges a fee for ILL orders, so what I like to do is find a book I want at another university library, then order it (free of charge) through my public library.  (Be sure to include the ISBN in your request.  It makes ordering easier.)

A quick search suggests the following textbook titles:

Planetary Science: the Science of Planets Around Stars, by G.H.A. Cole and M. Woolfson, ISBN: 075030815X

Introduction to Planetary Physics, by W. M. Kaula, ISBN: 0471460702

Planetary Sciences, by I. de Pater and J. J. Lissauer, ISBN: 0521482194

and

Comparative Planetology: Procedings of 1st International Conference, Pasadena CA, June 1994, ISBN 0792337905

Again, these are all textbooks and conference procedings.  Popular works with the same scope may not exist.   sad

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#3 2004-09-21 15:46:11

C M Edwards

Gillett's book must have references.  What texts did he use?

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#4 2004-09-23 20:16:13

Gennaro

Thanks for your assistance! Okay, maybe I'll up the ante and search out some scientific works of the variety you recommend, although my understanding is constrained when it comes to the math that use to accompany these sorts of publications.
Gillett has these types of works in his references but I disregarded that in my post since I was specifically asking for a more popular presentation initially.
Something on the level of Zubrin's works would have been optimal for a layperson like myself, but there it is.

Board footer