New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-09-09 12:38:42

Kenshin
Banned

Re: When science looses out to publicity - Or, why beaurocracy sucks

Someone recently donated a 25" "Obsession" telescope to the physics department here at Michigan Technological University.  It's beautiful... hand-crafted wood box, a huge 25" mirror--I'm in love with the thing.

The problem is where to put it.

Most people seem to think it should be perminantly indoors, so students can see it.  They want to just point it out one of the windows (about a 15° wide by 45° high viewing angle) in one of the main halls, and are talking about putting a mirror outside (a sideroscope or something like that).

I think it's a terrible idea.  We have to deal with looking out through double panes of glass, possible vandalism, a terribly small viewing area, streetlights, and a host of other problems.  All so that a bunch of random people can see our pretty telescope during the day (apparently most people don't even realize it's a telescope at all).

I want to put it up the hill at the "Student Development Center" (big building with a gym, pool, hockey rink, all kinds of stuff) where it can be stored in a large loading bay and wheeled outside at night to be used, a place where we can easly have the parking lot lights turned off, and we're on top of a hill.

Some of the others say things like "we don't want to walk up the hill!"  How pathetic!  They seem to care more about convenience than actually being able to use the thing.

Right now, well, it doesn't look good.  It looks like it's just going to be another pretty thing out in the hall.  Instead of this $10,000 telescope being used for what it's supposed to be used for, it'll just be another barely useful trophy for the physics department.
:bars2:

arrrrg!

Anyone have horror stories like this?

[url=http://nightskylive.com]Night Sky Live Project[/url]
[url=http://apod.nasa.gov]Astronomy Picture of the Day[/url]

#2 2004-09-09 12:58:37

Palomar

Right now, well, it doesn't look good.  It looks like it's just going to be another pretty thing out in the hall.  Instead of this $10,000 telescope being used for what it's supposed to be used for, it'll just be another barely useful trophy for the physics department.
:bars2:

arrrrg!

Anyone have horror stories like this?

*No, I'm glad I don't have a horror story like that.  :-\  Sounds like the usual gang of nitwits and nincompoops in charge. 

It should be put into use, as you suggest.  A 25" mirror?   I can only dream.  Hand-crafted wooden box?  I'm drooling. 

And yes -- completely pathetic about the "we don't want to walk up the hill" whine.  sad 

Such lack of appreciation.  I feel your angst.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2004-09-09 13:09:17

Cobra Commander

I want to put it up the hill at the "Student Development Center"

My memory of the Michigan Tech campus is a bit dim, but as I recall that seems like a good spot for it. That hill isn't really that big anyway, if I recall correctly.

It certainly shouldn't be stashed uselessly in a hall, on display for an indifferent public like Lenin's corpse or something.  ???

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2004-09-09 13:20:24

Kenshin
Banned

It should be put into use, as you suggest.  A 25" mirror?   I can only dream.  Hand-crafted wooden box?  I'm drooling.

http://www.globaldialog.com/~obsessiont … 5page.html

Ours is #772, a 25" f/5   :bars:

#5 2004-09-09 13:34:28

C M Edwards

We had a similar problem, also involving a donated telescope, at my old university.  There may still be hope if you approach this from the right angle. 

Your first change in vector should be to disregard the current opinion of "most people", because it's worthless.  "Most people" are not going to come after hours to use a telescope, and "Most people" aren't going to make the actual decision of what to do with this thing.  Find out who will, and talk to them.  If you do, I'll bet you'll find that this dilema is at its heart either A) a money problem or B) a space-related political problem.  It's cheaper to leave the scope lying in a storeroom somewhere than it is to install a mount for it, or the university maintenance staff don't want to mess with it, or Professor X refuses to give up his Danger Room, or something.

The problem is probably something much more specific than "everybody here is a lazy idiot."  Solve the specific problem, and "most people" will fall into line.  (They're lazy idiots - it's what they do.)  You appear to have a fantastic advantage in that your scope is mobile and can be stowed in any converted storeroom of the proper size - including a hallway alcove - provided you can get the power supply set up.  This allows a very wide margin for any necessary compromises in the space-related political department.

PS - If attempts to break the problem down into soluble elements don't work, you can always try something sneaky and underhanded.  For example, you could raise a stink over the nearest co-ed dormitory being clearly visible through the same window intended for the telescope.   :;):

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

#6 2004-09-09 13:40:38

Palomar

http://www.globaldialog.com/~obsessiont … 5page.html

Ours is #772, a 25" f/5   :bars:

*Wow. 

And the M13 comparison (between 8" mirror and 25")...stunning.  ::shakes head::

Best of luck in getting the dunderheads to use it.  It'd be a travesty not to!

Cobra: 
It certainly shouldn't be stashed uselessly in a hall, on display for an indifferent public like Lenin's corpse or something

:laugh:  True...so true.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#7 2004-09-09 13:46:58

Kenshin
Banned

For example, you could raise a stink over the nearest co-ed dormitory being clearly visible through the same window intended for the telescope.   :;):

Actually...  it sorta is.   big_smile
But the telescope can't aim down at a far enough angle.

#8 2004-09-09 13:50:42

SpaceNut
Administrator

If you have a camera and recording equipment to interface to the telescope, then it can be used for classes as well for real science instruction.

#9 2004-09-09 13:53:13

Rxke

From your description i initially thought it was a vintage scope, but this is a modern one!

They'd be *crazy* not to use it!

... It's like... I dunno, getting some kind of SEM or a really big computer, or something like that...and putting it up the hall because it looks cool, while the thing is *useful* Heck, at the uni in Ghent (my hometown) they have starparties, organized by the physics and mathematics departments, extracurriculum activity, to be sure, but quite popular... Despite the fact they're too close to a heavily light-polluted site. You should drum up a bunch of fellow students, a professor or two, maybe... and look into this. It doesn't have to be all sports does it?

#10 2004-09-09 14:05:02

C M Edwards

For example, you could raise a stink over the nearest co-ed dormitory being clearly visible through the same window intended for the telescope.   :;):

Actually...  it sorta is.   big_smile
But the telescope can't aim down at a far enough angle.

Well there you go!  I'll bet that sideroscope gives it just enough english for all sorts of voyeurism.  This kind of lude behavior must never be sanctioned by the university!   
:laugh:

Just don't go too far.  You don't want to end up with a curtain thrown over it like the semi-nude statue of Blind Lady Justice in the US Justice Department.    :;):

"We go big, or we don't go."  - GCNRevenger

Board footer