New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#101 2004-07-01 09:26:20

Palomar

Re: Cassini-Huygens - Cassini-Huygens Discussion

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … harp-edged rings and ripples of energy

"The early photos, taken from the unilluminated side of the rings, were full of electronic 'noise' and only in black and white, but were still clear enough to show fine ring structures and edges sharper than might be expected, given all the particles in the rings colliding with each other. "

"The images also showed 'density waves,' disruptions in the particles in the rings caused by the energy of moonlets passing outside them, that scientists said could best be compared to the pattern of bunching and thinning out seen in traffic jams."

*This is very similar to some of the verbal information Bill Nye shared on "Good Morning America" -- glad I was able to locate it on the net. 

--Cindy  cool

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#102 2004-07-01 11:38:30

Julius Caeser

Welcome to Saturn guys..enjoy the ride! cool

#103 2004-07-01 11:54:10

cDelta

I wonder if they took any color photos during orbital insertion. . . these I would love to see!

#104 2004-07-01 12:42:44

Palomar

*Hi cDelta, and welcome.  smile

I haven't yet seen color photos of the OI. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#105 2004-07-01 12:57:25

cDelta

Thanks Cindy. I've been a lurker here for a while and today, while bored at work  :;): , I decided to register and start posting.

Even though there aren't any color photos yet, they've been posting a lot of new B&W ones on the site. This side view of the rings is absolutely stunning...

Saturns]http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gs2.cgi?path=../multimedia/images/rings/images/SOI7.jpg&type=image]Saturn's Sunlit Rings

#106 2004-07-01 15:41:29

cDelta

I've got some information on the color photos! Apparently, there will not be any from the OI.

Because of Cassini's enormous velocity - 60,000 mph or so at engine cutoff - its cameras were programmed with shutter speeds of five thousandths of a second to prevent blurring. In the minute required to snap a picture, record the data and be ready for another shot, Cassini moved hundreds of miles, preventing researchers from taking overlapping photos or the multiple images required for color.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/cassini/0 … Scientists Marvel at Cassini Photos

#107 2004-07-01 20:05:15

Palomar

I've got some information on the color photos! Apparently, there will not be any from the OI.

Because of Cassini's enormous velocity - 60,000 mph or so at engine cutoff - its cameras were programmed with shutter speeds of five thousandths of a second to prevent blurring. In the minute required to snap a picture, record the data and be ready for another shot, Cassini moved hundreds of miles, preventing researchers from taking overlapping photos or the multiple images required for color.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/cassini/0 … Scientists Marvel at Cassini Photos

*Thanks for the info, cDelta.

Five thousandth of a second!  Goodness.  :-\

--Cindy

#108 2004-07-01 20:22:44

cDelta

No problem. It was a very informative article and I'm glad they addressed the color photo issue. I knew that in order to get a color photo it involved taking shots with different filters, but I completely forgot that the craft was traveling at such a high velocity that changing filters would be impractical. Silly me.  tongue

#109 2004-07-01 23:55:52

Rxke

a five thousandth a second exposure on Earth is nothing special, if you have good lighting conditions, that is.

I'm impressed seeing such shutter-speeds that far out in the solar system, though, must be some big lenses...

By the way... Anyone ever considered that the 'real' look of those far-out planets would be *a lot* dimmer for the human eye than we see on the pics? So dim, in fact that we'd probably not be able to see colours.

#110 2004-07-02 04:02:05

Yang Liwei Rocket

a five thousandth a second exposure on Earth is nothing special, if you have good lighting conditions, that is.

I'm impressed seeing such shutter-speeds that far out in the solar system, though, must be some big lenses...

By the way... Anyone ever considered that the 'real' look of those far-out planets would be *a lot* dimmer for the human eye than we see on the pics? So dim, in fact that we'd probably not be able to see colours.

Well you must also remember that the human eye is a marvelous thing. We can see mnay small details and objects near and far we can use our eye to as far as the Andromeda Galaxy
think about it
yikes
I think after a while our eyes might adjust to the light conditions to see the features unless there was no visible light in our solar system or somethings didn't come out under visible light and we had to use other means like Infra Red and Gamma Rays
Our eyes are great wonders of nature, if you look through a big telescope in the darkness of night. Your eyes will adjust to see features on Mars like valles marineris canyon, Isidis Planita, or Sytis Major.
http://web.qx.net/lhaddix/astroimages/m … ars2-3.jpg
http://www.weasner.com/etx/showcase/sac … -ccd19.jpg
With a big powerful telescope on Earth you can observe saturn, find its rings and look at some of its moons such a wonder our human eye is and a little extra help from a telescope.
big_smile
One place we won't be able to see however is through the smoke filled aerosol and hydro carbon clouds of Titan. The Cassini-Huygens mission has been doing great so far with fantastic images.
Let's hope all goes well when Cassini goes on for Titan  smile

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#111 2004-07-02 04:13:31

Rxke

Yes, but our eyes are tiny, compared to the telescopes, so they can catch less light...

And after a certain treshold, you 'switch to b&w mode' different (dunno the names in English) light sensitive stuff in your eyes take over.

The eye is a marvel of 'biological technology,' of course, but we need powerful optics to see the things we do in astronomy...

#112 2004-07-02 05:58:06

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040702.html]The Encke Gap

*Great image and info.

--Cindy

-*-

#113 2004-07-02 06:48:07

cDelta

Those would be the Rods and the Cones of the eye. The cones are responsible for seeing color and the rods for black and white, and the rods are also more sensitive to light than the cones. This is the reason that less advanced/evolved animals only see black and white. Besides, the more rods that are packed into your eye the higher resolution image you see.

I knew high school biology would serve a purpose.
Thank you Mr. Flynn  :;):

#114 2004-07-02 07:07:04

REB
Banned
Website

Our brains are what do the real seeing, and they have a way to adjust. Out at Saturn, our brains would adjust so the lighting there was the norm.

I saw an experiment where they put goggles on subjects that inverted the light coming in. This gave and upside down view of the world. After a week or so, the subject’s brain flipped the image right side up. When they removed the goggles and viewed the world with their own eyes, it was upside down. It took several days for the brain to flip it back.

I am legally blind in my right eye and thus, I can not view the 3_D image from mars. On the plus side, since I see the world in 2-D, I get a greater depth perception in 2-D pictures then folks with 3-D vision.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#115 2004-07-02 07:15:11

cDelta

That experiment sounds very hard to believe! That's not to say that I don't believe you.  smile  I am just surprised that the brain would actually flip the image over. I'd be very interested in reading about that. Do you have any links?

My friend is also legally blind in his right eye and it amazes me how well he can drive. He's one of the best drivers I know, actually, and this is all without depth perception in the way most non-cycloptic people are used to!  :laugh:

#116 2004-07-02 07:39:01

REB
Banned
Website

I saws it on TV in the early 1990's, before the internet.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/ma … .html]Here is the first experiment ever done on this.

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword/ar … lw795]More

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/graphics/]Speaking of Vision

I am not totally blind in my right eye. I have a large blind spot in the center of my vision, thanks to a kid throwing a rock at my eye when I was 12. That was 25 (Yikes!) years ago. I have long adjusted to it. I have very poor depth preception. Don't throw something at me, because I probably will not catch it.

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#117 2004-07-02 10:13:06

Palomar

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040702.html]The Encke Gap

*Great image and info.

--Cindy

-*-

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/cassini- … ml]Cassini "sails flawlessly" into Saturn's orbit

*Interesting to note what would have happened if all the propellant had been used up prematurely.  :-\  Thank goodness it wasn't, of course.

Also, low-gain antenna used to help keep "dibs" on Cassini during the critical maneuvering. 

--Cindy

#118 2004-07-02 12:29:55

Rxke

Also saw that documentry with the upside-down goggles. Amazing, how after a whil, te person could drive a bike, write etc...
Then the reaction when the apparatus was removed.

Great stuff.

#119 2004-07-02 17:57:03

brthrjon
InActive

oh my god, Titan has acne! 

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/i … =6913]Teen Titan

#120 2004-07-03 02:27:18

remcook
Banned

unfortunately, that is an artifact. You see it also in the rings smile

#121 2004-07-03 05:49:54

cassioli

I wonder if they took any color photos during orbital insertion. . . these I would love to see!

I read they were not able to do it: the damned camera on Cassini is just like MER's one: a b/n camera with multiple filters, and it passed too fast (60,000 mph!) to take more than one shot from the same angle... sad

(I know, multiple filters are better for scientific results... but I just HATE this method, ok?  ??? )

#122 2004-07-03 06:12:01

cassioli

My friend is also legally blind in his right eye and it amazes me how well he can drive. He's one of the best drivers I know, actually, and this is all without depth perception in the way most non-cycloptic people are used to!  :laugh:

Problems arrives when he stops and he has to park! Movement can "replace" one eye to give 3d effect, but when you stop, all is flat!

#123 2004-07-03 07:22:53

Rxke

just bob your head back and forward!

Seriously, a mate of mine was born blind in one eye, he has pretty good depth perception, even when standing still.

And when he's drunk, it only gets better, he claims, the swaggering helps, heehee!

#124 2004-07-03 07:51:49

Palomar

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/c … .html]LOTS of info coming back!

*Article dated 2 July.

Cassini has already flown past Titan -- at a distance of 200,000 miles.  Surface features more distinguishable.  Are "suspicious" of tectonic features on Titan.

Also discovered:  Large amount (puzzling) of oxygen in the E ring and other oxygen-related mysteries.

Dirt found in rings.  Dirt "signature" is similar to Phoebe's material. 

More information coming in today. 

--Cindy

#125 2004-07-03 11:45:41

Julius Caeser

Single cloud over Titans south pole..the size of Arizona..dark areas seem to be pure water ice whereas the brighter areas seem to be mixed with hydrocarbons..quite the contrary to what scientists had previously thought!It turns out Titan is more puzzling then previously thought! ???

Board footer