New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-10 11:54:59

Bill White

Re: Does "steel making" belong here? - Microwave rust into steel

http://www.admin.mtu.edu/urel/news/medi … /197/]Look at this - - would it work on Mars?

Respects to http://www.hobbyspace.com/]HobbySpace for the link.

http://www.oit.doe.gov/steel/factsheets … Additional link.

= = =

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/microw … r.htm]Link - - but if you have a safe lab, maybe you too can scavenge discarded microwaves and have a go at stuff.

#2 2004-05-10 12:40:33

Rxke

I've read about a Russian lil factory using this proces to make .... frames for glasses! (not kidding you)
seems like their (very closely guarded) system turns out very interesting steel and other metals: very high-grade etc.

(will never find the link, too long ago, to make things worse, it has some 'nano' talk about it, so google is no much use, millions of hits, probably...)

#3 2004-05-10 12:45:37

Rxke

About the last link... For very strong magnets, dissassemble obsolete harddrives... Them rare-earth magnets are *incredibly* strong... i had a blister on my index finger, when rgz side of it became caught between two, they really snap  together very viciously, and you have to execrt quite some force to seperate them again...

#4 2004-05-10 12:49:37

Bill White

Seems like it would be easy enough to do experiments in an appropriate laboratory.

Marsian steel exports to Luna? Or steel trusses sent to low Mars orbit to attach Transhabs to each other for follow on missions into the asteroid belt.

= = =

Pure magnesium again seems like a possibly useful metal for rocket propellant. Could a magnesium based solid fuel rocket achieve low Mars orbit?

#5 2004-05-10 12:50:57

Bill White

About the last link... For very strong magnets, dissassemble obsolete harddrives... Them rare-earth magnets are *incredibly* strong... i had a blister on my index finger, when rgz side of it became caught between two, they really snap  together very viciously, and you have to execrt quite some force to seperate them again...

Hmmmm. . .

Donate old computers to a Mars Society laboratory? Could you make microwaves from those hard drive magnets?

#6 2004-05-10 13:37:14

Rxke

errr... the magnets are for building a wind generator, and they came out off a magnetron, i went off-topic saying those in HDDs are much stronger...

#7 2004-05-10 13:38:43

Bill White

errr... the magnets are for building a wind generator, and they came out off a magnetron, i went off-topic saying those in HDDs are much stronger...

Sorry, My link was off topic too. Any other suggestions for rare-Earth magnets?

#8 2004-05-10 13:46:08

Rxke

Hmmm... A way to semi-permanently 'couple' things together... like refrigerator magnets on a lot of steroids... these magnets can easily lift several kg's apiece

But what things?

#9 2004-05-27 17:08:25

MarsDog

Interesting that steel making can be lightweight and energy efficient. The  first step to self sufficient colonies is the start of heavy industry. Maybe there is a lightweight way to produce glass for the greenhouses.

Board footer