New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-22 10:55:39

Palomar

Re: Marsian Status Symbols?

*Occurred to me while reading an article about a certain luxury vehicle as status symbol.  I've been debating posting this the past hour or so.  I'm -not- one of those types who gets all wrapped up in keeping up with the Joneses, by the way.  The best things in life -aren't- things.  However, envy can be a spur to create, invent, etc.  Some people go overboard, though, IMO; always seeking society's stamp of approval.  :-\ 

I could say I hope no one there gets wrapped up in status symbol seeking, but that'd fly in the face of human nature. 

But anyway, what do you think might constitute as status symbols in a Marsian colony?  I know this might be "a stretch" of speculation. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-04-22 11:03:02

clark

Anything wood.

#3 2004-04-22 11:17:47

Stu
Website

Maybe meteorites from Earth... meteorite collectors here on Earth (myself included) prize Mars meteorites above most others, and as there are almost certainly pieces of terrestrial rock waiting to be found on Mars, makes sense that they'll become collectors items too, and - as is the case with meteorites here - the bigger the specimen, the more it's worth. So I can see martians wearing brooches, pendants and rings inlaid with pieces of terran meteorite, or maybe displaying large specimens in their modules. The ultimate prize would be a piece of Earth, found on Mars, which was blasted off Earth by the impact(s) which helped speed the demise of the dinosaurs, tho quite how they'd be able to determine their origin that accurately I can't say.

Stuart Atkinson

Skywatching Blog: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/Cumbrian-Sky[/url]

Astronomical poetry, including mars rover poems: [url]http://journals.aol.com/stuartatk/TheVerse[/url]

#4 2004-04-22 11:18:15

Byron

Windows facing the "real" outside, due to their high cost and limited above-ground space (at least until people start living in city-sized domes.)

B

#5 2004-04-22 11:23:21

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Imported steaks and tenderloins(at least until large scale agriculter gets ramped up or some sort of meat cloning/vat growing system comes online), terran wines and liquours, anything made from wood, leather, fur.

#6 2004-04-22 13:46:18

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#7 2004-04-22 14:10:07

Hazer

Houseplants.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#8 2004-04-26 00:52:44

A.J.Armitage

Printed books.

Human: the other red meat.

#9 2004-04-26 03:51:09

Trebuchet
Banned

The last word in Martian luxury: your own swimming pool.

#10 2004-05-04 14:32:25

clark

How about a classic ivory key grand piano. Ah, the decadence...

#11 2004-05-04 14:38:11

Rxke

I'll settle for the live elephant instead (my piano-playing is not good enough...)

#12 2004-05-04 14:46:45

clark

Shhh. No one talk about the elephant in the room.  big_smile

Well, if killing gods creatures isn't your cup of tea, how about for something for those religious folks who like to keep up with the Jones's (American expresion related to owning material postions in greater quantity or quality than your friends and neighbors)

Rosary beads blessed by the Holy Father himself.
Sand from Mecca.
A piece of the Great Wall? (more secular, but with an oriental flavor)  smile
a lucky rabbits foot from a not so lucky terran rabbit?
An old religious text from earth, such as a Bible, the Koran, etc.
Stained glass window from a terran cathedral or crurch or temple.

#13 2004-05-04 14:54:17

Palomar

*Gee, I guess I'm more unmaterialistic than I know...I started the thread and haven't come up with an answer yet.  :-\  Always got my head in IDEAS...

Anywho, I suppose my answer would be textiles.  Who has a silk shirt?

Or, art:  Who has a signed oil or water color from an Earthly art master on their wall?

Oh well...I prefer ideas to possessions.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#14 2004-05-04 14:59:55

clark

Something tells me you would fight tooth and nail over the very, very small amount of chocolate available on Mars.

Growing the cocoa beans and the sugar and everything else that goes into it would be a very astronomical feat. Artificial ain't the same.

Real honest to goodness chocolate.

Looks like Valentines just got that much harder on Mars, boys.
big_smile

#15 2004-05-04 15:08:22

A.J.Armitage

Sand? The real status item will be water from Mecca, from the well of Zamzam.

But maybe Earth-dirt will be a keepsake in the form of "native soil". That is, people might bring dirt from their back yards and pass it on to their children. After a few generations it might be highly valued.

Human: the other red meat.

#16 2004-05-05 07:22:29

REB
Banned
Website

Pets?

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#17 2004-05-05 08:53:25

clark

First copy editions of any book written about Mars.

#18 2004-05-05 10:29:01

REB
Banned
Website

How about a genetically altered horse able to survive on the surface of Mars?

Mars looks like a great place to roam the range and to ride off into the sunset. smile

"Run for it? Running's not a plan! Running's what you do, once a plan fails!"  -Earl Bassett

#19 2004-05-05 10:35:54

clark

"Join us next week for the continuing adventures of The Mars Ranger!"  big_smile

Give me land, lots of land, under starry sky above,
Don't fence me in...

#20 2004-05-05 11:40:23

REB
Banned
Website

Sounds good to me, Clark. smile

#21 2004-05-05 13:44:21

clark

Cigar's and specialty cigarette's.

Too bad you can't smoke them. But I would imagine a Cigar Bar would be a big draw on Mars. Afterall, it's not like you can go outside for a 'smoke'.  big_smile

Sorry REB, but the Marlbro man may have to stick to Terran sunsets.

#22 2004-05-06 00:23:57

Trebuchet
Banned

There would be no reason they couldn't grow tobacco on Mars... no reason other than common sense, higher priorities for agricultural space, and health nazis.

But there's no *technical* reason you couldn't make some "Marsboro" cigarettes.

#23 2004-05-06 10:04:40

clark

Cuban is Cuban, even on Mars.  big_smile

And to give a shout out to Cobra, antique guns and rifles.  yikes

#24 2004-05-07 22:12:30

Josh Cryer

Self-sustainablity. smile

Machines, etc. According to many here, many early martians wouldn't want to share such things (or such things won't exist), so either way, I figure they'd be valuable.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#25 2004-05-08 08:47:07

RobS
Banned
Website

Here are a few things that have occurred to me in my novels (and the great thing about novels is that they create a scenario that plays out, which focuses creativity):

1. A big inflatable "Statue of Liberty" in Mars orbit near Mars's interplanetary transit station ("Ellis Island"). In my novel I called it "the Spirit of Mars," androgynous looking, with a rocket-like flame coming from its two feet (which are together), its two arms reaching upward toward space.

2. "Nature Park": This is outside the Outpost and consists of a landscaped park. The park contains Zen rock gardens (Mars has lots of rocks!), mazes made of different colored martian surface materials (no walls, just paths), large mosaics and designs of colored Martian surface materials, and naturally wind-sculpted rocks (they should be as beautiful as driftwood on the beach).

3. The Explorer's Memorial. Mars is guaranteed to have this, unfortunately. In my novels I set it in the park, or I should say set the park around the memorial. This is a memorial to those who died on Mars in the line of duty.

Then there's also the cemetary nearby and the golf course! The latter is made slowly by a private club on weekends. I suppose with the low gravity, the fairways would have to be very long and no one would want to play more than nine holes in one day!

-- RobS

Board footer