New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-06-10 17:06:39

Phobos

Re: Clothing on Mars - Textiles Manufacturing

How much clothing will astronauts need to bring with them on what will be a nearly 3 year round trip to Mars?  Will they be able to wash or dry clean their clothes or what?  I think a textile plant would make an excellent first manufacturing endeavour on Mars for an established colony. The colonists will need clothing and there's no sense in waiting for such supplies to come from Earth if it can be helped.  And also sewing could give the colonists something to do.  It would also make dwelling places more homey if you could make things like quilts, blankets, curtains, pillow covers, etc.  I think there should be experiments on growing fibrous plants like cotton, hemp, etc for this end.  If we can't set up a textiles factory on Mars maybe we could just make Mars a nudist colony.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#2 2002-06-10 17:34:20

Byron

I read something not too long ago about using "algae mats" to produce cellulose material that could be spun into cloth or a whole number of other uses, and this would be far superior than using valuable greenhouse space for non-food crops such as cotton.  If a non-food crop is grown in the greenhouses, it would most likely be hemp, as it's among the most versitile crops known to man, including edible uses (oil, for instance.)

As for the initial astronauts making the first trip to Mars, I'd think they would have a limited set of clothes to wear, only washing them (sonic cleaning, maybe??) perhaps after a week of continuous wear.  I know it sounds yucky, but mass will be at a premium for the first voyage, and having an extensive wardrobe or smelling fresh every day will be at the bottom of the Mars crew's minds.  tongue

I seriously doubt the early settlers will have time for things like making quilts and the like...they'll probably have some sort of machine that can produce most items of clothing mechanically while the settlers concern themselves with building adequate shelters, growing crops, etc.

#3 2002-06-11 14:36:52

Phobos

I read something not too long ago about using "algae mats" to produce cellulose material that could be spun into cloth or a whole number of other uses, and this would be far superior than using valuable greenhouse space for non-food crops such as cotton.  If a non-food crop is grown in the greenhouses, it would most likely be hemp, as it's among the most versitile crops known to man, including edible uses (oil, for instance.)

Algae would be a far superior alternative to fibrous plants.  I had no idea that it might be possible to make fibers from algae products.   We could just harvest the algae from the fish ponds.  smile  I wonder if there might be easily obtained materials in the regolith that could be made into synthetic fibers. 

As for the initial astronauts making the first trip to Mars, I'd think they would have a limited set of clothes to wear, only washing them (sonic cleaning, maybe??) perhaps after a week of continuous wear.  I know it sounds yucky, but mass will be at a premium for the first voyage, and having an extensive wardrobe or smelling fresh every day will be at the bottom of the Mars crew's minds.

True.  Sometimes you have to make sacrifices in comfort and hygiene to make history.   I doubt if very many polar explorers dragged extensive wardrobes along with them.  But I wonder how many suits they should take along with them.  If they launch an unmanned hab module to Mars as a backup, they
could probably put a few extra changes of clothes in it for when the first explorers land.

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#4 2002-06-15 11:13:01

anansi

Given the not-inconsiderable cost of heating and pressurizing hab space, I think colonists will find it easier to crank up the heat just a wee bit more and go nude in the living quarters. It's not like they haven't endlessly thrashed in each other's social space already.

They'll still want clothing, to be sure: Working spaces, corridors, and ag domes are going to be cold! And there will be dress suits for the broadcasts back home, wouldn't want to upset John Q Taxpayer.

The first generation will probably repair and restitch their clothing until the second or theird wave of machinary comes in from earth. At which point all the fibers can be recycled and refabricated into new thread and new cloth. This might be the first application of Stephenson's vision in Diamond age of a 'matter compiler'.

#5 2002-06-15 13:42:57

Palomar

They'll still want clothing, to be sure: Working spaces, corridors, and ag domes are going to be cold! And there will be dress suits for the broadcasts back home, wouldn't want to upset John Q Taxpayer.

*Not to mention that not everyone would feel comfortable being a nudist.  I consider clothing a form of privacy; I'd like to keep mine on!  tongue

I don't see why fabric for clothing worn INSIDE a habitat -- or inside a spacesuit, for that matter -- would have to be much different than the fabrics we now wear on Earth; at least initially.  A cotton-polyester blend, permanent press would be nice.  If "cargo drops" from Earth to Mars can be accomplished every 6 months to a year, I don't see why clothing can't be ordered from Earth.  Barring that, bolts of cloth, patterns, sewing machines, thread, zippers, buttons, dye, etc., could also be dropped.  Old clothing could be recycled for new use.  The real challenge in regard to clothing will be that of children and infants, when the time for their presence on Mars comes; they grow so fast.

Personally, I like to envision Marsian settlers or colonists in those wild-and-funky psychadelic clothing like they wore back in the late 60s:  Paisley prints; blocks of primary colors on neutral backgrounds; swirls of black and white; knee-high boots; hem-weighted, brightly-colored mini-skirts; etc.

Yes, I know -- a radical departure from my usual practicality.  smile

Now, coming back to practicality:  Dresses for women will probably be a luxury item.  I suspect most persons will be, at all times, dressed in slacks and shirts.

I hope the settlers or colonists don't fall into the trap of monotonous-looking clothing, few colors, uniformity, etc.  Of course, given that everything will be at a premium there, I think chances are good they'll go off on a delicious tangent of having some real fashion/trends there!  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#6 2004-04-28 14:06:03

JammerG55
Banned

Why cloths at all?

The sky is the limit...unless you live in a cave big_smile

#7 2004-04-28 14:21:29

Palomar

*Geez, JammerG55 -- you're really working your way through some mighty old threads, huh?

Interesting to read a nearly 2-year-old post of mine.  tongue  And Phobos -- where the heck DID he go!? 

I suppose if the MERs didn't lure him back to the New Mars table, nothing will.  :*(

Clothing...well, I still want to go with 60s mod fashions!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#8 2004-04-29 13:01:14

JammerG55
Banned

big_smile

The sky is the limit...unless you live in a cave big_smile

#9 2004-05-06 01:13:02

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

The question does beg itself if you are living your life in a climate controled dome why you would want to spend resources producing clothing when you could be using that resources to do something more worthwhile (cultivating large mamals /cough/ cows for instance, lol, I know it's a stupid idea but a veagen mars is an idea that hurts)

The inhibitions we have about nudity our derived from our inhibitions and underlying puritanical roots about sex. I think we should be as open mided as possible about such things. Especially since in our hypothetical colony A.) Birth Control will be omniprescent for population control and ethics of micro-g birth reasons at least initially and B.) Everyone will have been screened for pathogens prior to their launch/emigration.

#10 2004-05-06 05:27:40

Palomar

The inhibitions we have about nudity our derived from our inhibitions and underlying puritanical roots about sex. I think we should be as open mided as possible about such things.

*...some of it isn't due to good old-fashioned -vanity-?  I'm sure we're all aware that not everyone looks like a buff surfboard stud with washboard abs, or like a Playboy centerfold.  Hence, the desire to cover flaws.

Besides, clothing can also be seen as an extension of the personality ("accessories").  Or an indicator of mood.  Etc.  It's not just the same old naked human body anymore...now it's decorated, embellished, expressive, changeable. 

--Cindy  smile

#11 2004-05-06 08:05:13

Byron

The inhibitions we have about nudity our derived from our inhibitions and underlying puritanical roots about sex. I think we should be as open mided as possible about such things.

*...some of it isn't due to good old-fashioned -vanity-?  I'm sure we're all aware that not everyone looks like a buff surfboard stud with washboard abs, or like a Playboy centerfold.  Hence, the desire to cover flaws.

Besides, clothing can also be seen as an extension of the personality ("accessories").  Or an indicator of mood.  Etc.  It's not just the same old naked human body anymore...now it's decorated, embellished, expressive, changeable. 

--Cindy  smile

Yeah, I have to agree with that one...lol.  Not to mention plain ol' comfort...I couldn't imagine going about my daily activities without threads...even if there wasn't anyone else around... tongue

One thing that the settlers might could do without is footwear...as that's the most complex article of general-use clothing that people wear for the most part, which would add to "unnecessary" costs of living on Mars.  Going around barefoot wouldn't be too bad of an idea, imo, or perhaps people would wear those disposable paper slippers they give you at the hospital.

On another note, the settlers would have to strike a balance between the interior hab temp and the level of clothing that they would wear...i.e...would it be better to keep the interior temperature at a brisk 15 C, which would mean long pants and sleeves (and shoes, for that matter), or would they want to keep it at a toasty 25 C, and just have everyone wear tanktops and shorts and no shoes?  If it was up to me, I'd keep it at 15-17 C and I'd still go around barefoot..LOL...(cold doesn't bother me that much) big_smile

B

#12 2004-05-06 08:42:56

Palomar

One thing that the settlers might could do without is footwear...as that's the most complex article of general-use clothing that people wear for the most part, which would add to "unnecessary" costs of living on Mars.  Going around barefoot wouldn't be too bad of an idea, imo, or perhaps people would wear those disposable paper slippers they give you at the hospital.

If it was up to me, I'd keep it at 15-17 C and I'd still go around barefoot..LOL...(cold doesn't bother me that much) big_smile

B

*Hmmmm...yes, shoes.  Boots with suits for outdoor excursions, of course.  What about the soft cloth shoes worn by the Apollo astronauts?  [Not sure if Shuttle folks/ISS wear something similar or what they've got on their feet].

I prefer going barefoot (I am right now, in fact -- especially when driving  :ha ha:), but in an enclosed setting wouldn't that contribute to athlete's foot, warts, etc.?  Then there could be calluses, bunions, corns, etc., to deal with [:edit:  which, yes, can develop with/because of shoes, but also there are health issues with lots of barefoot-going as well].

--Cindy

#13 2004-05-06 09:26:44

Byron

I prefer going barefoot (I am right now, in fact -- especially when driving  :ha ha:), but in an enclosed setting wouldn't that contribute to athlete's foot, warts, etc.?  Then there could be calluses, bunions, corns, etc., to deal with [:edit:  which, yes, can develop with/because of shoes, but also there are health issues with lots of barefoot-going as well].

--Cindy

I guess that could be an issue, but I would hope that they would be able to sterilize against any problematic viruses and bacteria before leaving Earth (including that of the common cold...I hope!)  Also, the moisture level inside the hab would likely be at super-dry levels, which should limit the spread of any germs that do make it to Mars.

I do like the idea of those "shoe" socks, though..sounds comfy smile

B

#14 2004-05-06 09:49:51

clark

Lower gravity.... how might that affect the development of breasts?  big_smile

Perhaps women will finaly be free from the cold hand shake of the ill-fitting bra on Mars.   :laugh:

Board footer