New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-05-03 20:31:29

rstones8
Banned

Re: Space Bonds? - to fund the Bush plan

http://www.washingtondispatch.com/artic … ml]article here

Thoughts anyone? Could this idea of selling bonds to pay for the Bush plan actually work?

"here are we, on this starry night staring into space, and I must say, I feel as small as dust, lying down here"-dmb

#2 2004-05-03 22:23:44

Ian Flint

Great idea!

This would work even without a new space treaty.  If the bonds could be converted into ownership of part of the base(s) then no treaty would be violated.  As I understand it, a country owns what it lands or builds on a moon or planet, just not the land itself.

The plan could be started tomorrow!

#3 2004-06-04 13:08:17

DanielCook

I've also been thinking along the lines mentioned in the article. The twist of making the bonds convertible to property titles is interesting though - I was thinking more in the direction of revenues based on licensing access and technology developed during the project to finance the interest and capital on the bonds ...

As for the current UN space treaty ... it's only signed by a limited number of signatories - and it wouldn't be the first time that that UN treaty have been ignored. As the saying goes: Possesion is 9/10ths of the law - if you claim it before anyone else AND you control access ... who's going stop you?

-- memento mori

#4 2004-06-06 14:44:51

ANTIcarrot.

In my mind I can't help but add the tagline, "Collect two million bonds and own your own space shuttle!" ^.^

Seriosuly though the idea has merit. It would however require congress to give up control over NASA. Something that's about as likely as the 6% budget increase this year. Few will invest in anything that congress can destroy in the midst of a childish temper tantrum.

ANTIcarrot.

Board footer