New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-23 20:08:28

Mike_Moody49@hotmail.com
Banned

Re: Quantum Nucleonic Reactor - Hafnium Powered Reactor

Dear Forum Members:  I am a long time reader of these forums, but I have decided to try to post for the first time.  This is a group that has the technical competence I lack. 

I just read an article in Popular Science or possibly Popular Mechanics about a nuclear airplane that is supposed to be powered by the metal Hafnium.  Apparently, hafnium generates a great deal of energy when exposed to X rays.

I would like to hear some conjecture and speculation about whether or not this DARPA financed aircraft engine could be used in space and what the likely ISP would be for it, if anyone is familiar with the same article I read.

Thank you. big_smile

#2 2004-04-23 20:25:47

Euler

Re: Quantum Nucleonic Reactor - Hafnium Powered Reactor

Board footer