New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-03 19:36:46

Bill White

Re: Single Stage to Tether - Another idea to LEO

These people advocate [http://spacetethers.com/]SSTT - - Single Stage to Tether.

They also assume Earth to LEO costs $2000 per pound via Falcon V. Today, Zenit-2 make drive this to $1000 per pound.

Comments?

#2 2004-04-03 19:54:15

GCNRevenger

And these people are crazy. I don't think they have a clue how hard it would be to rendevous with the cable end.

And only a measly 4,000Kg to orbit? Frankly, thats not enough for even small satelites, not to mention the GEO boost motor. You can't do anything with payloads that small.

[i]"The power of accurate observation is often called cynicism by those that do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw[/i]

[i]The glass is at 50% of capacity[/i]

#3 2004-04-03 20:02:35

Bill White

Hee! Hee! I havent read past the first 1/2 page yet. . .

#4 2004-04-04 04:17:42

SBird
Banned

I agree that the satellite capture is a show stopper as far as I'm concerned.  However, I've looked at thei website quitea bit and these folks aren't crazy.  They've actually done some nice engineering studies about what is required for the building of high strength space tethers.  They're the ones who came up with the Hoytether that is capable of withstanding multiple debris impacts without significant loss of strength.  They're also under contract with NASA and DARPA to develop space tether technology.  They've also done some very nice work with figuring out how to keep electro-propulsion tethers from getting dangerous levels of oscillation. 

Personally, I think that they're too enamoured with the whole Rotovator idea - I've mentioned my concerns about the design on the forums before.  However, They do appear to be leaders in the field and have done some nice design and prototype work.

Board footer