New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2004-03-17 20:00:43

Palomar

Re: NASA & Voice-Recognition Software

[http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 0317232804]Wow...

*This is astounding.  It'll be VERY interesting to watch this develop.

Browse the web without touching the keyboard...next stop, commanding a robot similar to our Mars rovers!

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-03-18 14:34:13

SBird
Banned

Re: NASA & Voice-Recognition Software

I dunno, I've seen how well regular voice recognition works and I'd be terrified if my life depended upon it.  I remember an old roomate got some free voice recognition softwre with a sound card.  It was one of the better commercial packages at the time (Somthing-or-other-Dragon or something was the name).  I just remember hearing him in his room saying:
"Emergency."
"Undo...Undo"
"Emmmmergency"
"Undo...Undo...UNDO"
"EmergEEEncy"
"Undo...undo"
"EEEmergencYYY"
"Undo...Undo...Undo...UNDO!!"
And so on for about 10 minutes.

Later, after he'd finally programmed the dumb thing, my other roomate anda friend were testing it out.  I can't remeber what someone said but the program interpreted it as "Robber the condom."  The resulting laughter caused the program to write a long paragraph of "Whom"s....

Board footer