New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-03-02 21:22:57

Ian
Banned

Re: Water on Mars? - Water on Mars?

I don't know if there could have been water on Mars becuase the planet mostly has carbon dioxide on it and so I remain skeptical about it. Remember what happened with Percivel Lowell. (I may have spelled his first name incorrectly.)

#2 2004-03-03 09:19:32

dicktice

You couldn't have timed your post worse. While you have my sympathy, I'm happy to say you are wrong, wrong, wrong.

#3 2004-03-03 12:37:08

Ian
Banned

I'd like to see the data that they have on these rock formations that tell them that it was water that carved out those rock formations. Why am I wrong?

#4 2004-03-03 12:55:34

Ian
Banned

Why did they name the combination of those chemical elements that they found there Jarosite? Also I think they said on their website that there were traces of sulfer on there from the graph on their rover website.

#5 2004-03-04 09:30:07

dicktice

Aw, this is too easy: Poor old Lowell only saw Mars through his refractor, and through the atmosphere at that, FROM EARTH. We're actually ON MARS ITSELF, now, by means of remote presence. The poles are covered by alternating layers of permanent water ice under semipermanent coatings of CO2. The soil where that rover is, appears to be saturated with salt-water ice (brine) as deduced by--yes--sulfer deposits. (Hot springs are frequently sulferous, I recall from the stink.) You're wrong . . . not to take into consideration the daily bulletins about what's taking place on Mars right now.

#6 2004-03-04 10:59:04

Ian
Banned

If there was water there, how did it get there and how did it alter the rocks so that they look the way that they look now? Why are the rocks shaped in the way that they are? Any theories?

#7 2004-03-04 10:59:36

Ian
Banned

If there was water there, how did it get there and how did it alter the rocks so that they look the way that they look now? Why are the rocks shaped in the way that they are? Any theories?

Board footer