New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-06-25 12:15:01

Palomar

Re: Special Observances - Holidays, birthdays...how?

*I guess I'm one of those "it's the little things which count" kind of people.

In regards to the morale of the first astronauts going to Mars, they will spend roughly 3 years away from home, right?  I know I'd miss having a cake and flowers for my birthday.  Though I'm not religious, I do enjoy decorating my home for the winter holiday season (actually, the Pagan festival of Yule, i.e. the Winter Solstice, preceded Christianity).  And I can't imagine not having a turkey with sweet potato casserole and all the trimmings for Thanksgiving.  Sure, I know the astronauts will understand before the leave on the mission that they must, in great part, leave these indulgences behind...but understanding and desire are two different things.

Each astronaut will have his or her special holiday observances they will miss, in accordance with their national, religious, ethnical backgrounds, etc.

I suppose there can be "cyber-observances" via computer, e-mail, downloads, etc.  It would be better than nothing, but still a bummer to think about.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2002-06-25 13:42:08

Byron

I don't see why mission planners couldn't allow for a *few* indulgences for special occasions, such as "rich" food and even alcohol.  Morale will be extremely important for a mission of such long duration, and having a party every now and then should be an important part of the mission profile.

Also, things such as music and games for the crew wouldn't be a bad thing, either...there's no reason why they couldn't blow off a bit of steam by doing karoke twice a week or whatever.

The *little* things do count for a lot, and it'd be foolish to ignore this side of human nature for a mission of this duration.

B

#3 2002-06-28 10:44:43

Palomar

I don't see why mission planners couldn't allow for a *few* indulgences for special occasions, such as "rich" food and even alcohol.  Morale will be extremely important for a mission of such long duration, and having a party every now and then should be an important part of the mission profile.

Also, things such as music and games for the crew wouldn't be a bad thing, either...there's no reason why they couldn't blow off a bit of steam by doing karoke twice a week or whatever.

The *little* things do count for a lot, and it'd be foolish to ignore this side of human nature for a mission of this duration.

B

*Karaoke...I can see the tomatoes flying now...  wink  Just kidding.

Zubrin does mention that games will be provided for the crew.  I hope this includes board games, or something along INTERactive lines.

I'm referring more to *symbolism,* and the human need for it.  A Jewish astronaut, for instance, probably will not be able to light a mennorah (spelling?)...fire hazard.  A Pagan astronaut might be able to stow away a tiny Yule tree (one of those 1-foot-tall deals). 

I've been reading the work of Carl G. Jung.  Symbolism, archetypes, ritual, etc., seem to be rather important to humans.  Now that I've been delving more deeply into his writings, I'm wondering about the lack of symbology the astronauts *might* have, and how that potential stifling might affect their mental and emotional health (and no, I'm not anticipating anyone will go nutso en-route to Mars).

In conjunction with this, it would be very interesting to have the astronauts keep detailed logs of their dreams, especially their first night on Mars.  Psychiatrists and psychologists would have a treasure-trove of stuff to pore over and analyze!  wink

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2002-06-28 15:14:54

Byron

I'm referring more to *symbolism,* and the human need for it.  A Jewish astronaut, for instance, probably will not be able to light a mennorah (spelling?)...fire hazard.  A Pagan astronaut might be able to stow away a tiny Yule tree (one of those 1-foot-tall deals). 

I've been reading the work of Carl G. Jung.  Symbolism, archetypes, ritual, etc., seem to be rather important to humans.  Now that I've been delving more deeply into his writings, I'm wondering about the lack of symbology the astronauts *might* have, and how that potential stifling might affect their mental and emotional health (and no, I'm not anticipating anyone will go nutso en-route to Mars).

In conjunction with this, it would be very interesting to have the astronauts keep detailed logs of their dreams, especially their first night on Mars.  Psychiatrists and psychologists would have a treasure-trove of stuff to pore over and analyze!  wink

--Cindy

I think that the video screen will provide the crew a way to celebrate...they will be in touch with family and friends back on Earth, although it won't be real-time communication.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't be easy; I can relate to my personal experience of being Down Under for an extended period of time and having to celebrate Easter in autumn, instead of spring...definately different than I was used to!

Homesickness notwithstanding, the astronants' need for symbolistic fullfillment will certainly be met by the momentous act of making First Landing on Mars...an event likely to be celebrated by generations of Martian settlers...if the act of bridging the gap to a whole new world is not an example of symbology, I don't know what it is..lol    The feat of journeying to Mars would greatly overshadow the lack of holiday / religious observances...and I have the feeling that the Martain astronants will not be that religious to begin with...their love for their work will most likely be their "religion..", if you catch my drift... wink

Going to Mars won't be for the sentimental or faint-hearted..and that's something that will have to be taken under consideration during the selection process.

B

#5 2002-06-28 18:43:36

Phobos

I think it would be great to get away from having to buy people Xmas gifts.  Since I never buy my parents or sisters gifts at Xmas time I'm always made to feel guilty for my actions.  Going to Mars would be the perfect excuse. smile

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

Board footer