New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#26 2004-01-29 19:41:48

Palomar

Re: Another Corrupt Thread? - "Commercial Viability of Space"

That's very strange, I haven't seen it before. Maybe your mailboxes were full up?

*No.  Last I saw there was still plenty of capacity.  I deleted half the messages I had in both boxes just last week.

"Your messenger (1 new)" was flashing when I signed on about 10 minutes ago.  I went to check and now the In box is completely empty; it looks "collapsed" on itself, actually...if that makes sense.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#27 2004-01-30 10:29:49

Palomar

"Your messenger (1 new)" was flashing when I signed on about 10 minutes ago.  I went to check and now the In box is completely empty; it looks "collapsed" on itself, actually...if that makes sense.

--Cindy

I sent you a message, in response to the one you sent me. Did you get it ?

*Yes I did, BGD.  smile

Of course, all incoming PM's also automatically go to one's e-mail account (but messages sent aren't duplicated to e-mail).

I'm basically wondering if there isn't a larger issue afoot, which is why I posted about this circumstance.  At first it was half my messages gone, then 3/4, then all of them gone and the web page to access either box is a bit distorted.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#28 2004-01-30 16:11:10

dicktice

Dicktice, I have met the same problem.

Solution:
Go to 'your control panel' (upper left)
then choose 'account options', there you can choose a skin: now it's 'standard ikonboard skin' change it to aurora, fixes the problem... but the board looks a bit different. (that's the skin)

OH BTW, the S&O not showing in 'new posts' has occured again.... Weird.

I did what you said, but no joy: still the same "error" message as I posted before. Are we suffering from MyDoom . . . or?

#29 2004-02-03 11:51:18

Palomar

*My messenger isn't working at all now, except for the prompt notifying me I have a message.  Of course, I am able to retrieve and read the message via *e-mail*.  It's a minor inconvenience, especially if I'm not logged into my e-mail account.

It would be nice, though, to have the messenger problem fixed...that way I can simply read messages sent to me here, at New Mars.

--Cindy

#30 2004-02-03 18:54:35

Adrian
Website

I really have no idea why this has happened and it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else. I'm not aware that it's a known issue with Ikonboard (although I could be wrong). Exactly what happens when you click on the 'Your messenger' link?

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#31 2004-02-03 19:28:13

Palomar

I really have no idea why this has happened and it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone else. I'm not aware that it's a known issue with Ikonboard (although I could be wrong). Exactly what happens when you click on the 'Your messenger' link?

*When I click on "Your messenger" (with 1 or 2 new messages), I am taken to the "Current Messenger Folder:  Inbox" which has the Summary, Inbox, Address Book, Preferences and Send New Message options.

I will click on "You have ____ messages [go to your inbox]" and nothing happens.

I will click on the tab to Go to folder:  Inbox  Go!

And nothing happens. 

I can now access Sent messages, but there are only 5 remaining messages and none that I have sent (and checked to save) are there.

All of my former Inbox messages are completely wiped out (there were approximately 25 there prior).

I am able to send messages and receive "Read Receipt" prompts and prompts for incoming messages but nothing can be read; I must go to e-mail for that.

--Cindy

#32 2004-02-04 06:19:55

Byron

While my messenger mailbox seems to be working fine, I have recently noticed that only the last 15 messages are in my "Inbox" and "Sent" folders...although it says I have a total of 51 saved messages. 

Has anyone else noticed not being able to access their old messages, etc?  I'm wondering if the database is somehow corrupted, etc.   ???

B

#33 2004-02-04 15:11:37

Gennaro

Okay, restored the thread according to my abilities. Only I managed to mispell the heading, so now it says "Vaibality"!
:angry:

Yeah, I know, I'm anal-rententive. Just hate un-aesthetic errors like that.

#34 2004-02-04 15:57:01

Adrian
Website

Thanks Gennaro! I fixed the spelling for you smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#35 2004-02-04 16:36:57

Gennaro

Thanks, Adrian. Great to hear from you! Hope everything's running smoothly with your PhD!
smile

Board footer