New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-22 19:49:24

Hazer

Re: Danger Will Robinson! - Spirit has gone quiet...

I read recently in the news that Spirit has gone silent.  NASA is baffled.  This does not look good.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#2 2004-01-24 12:25:22

Marineris Sauce
Banned

Is it possible for someone to 'hack' Spirit or Opportunity? This may sound ridiculous, I know, but I'm curious to know if some savvy techy guy somewhere might be able to affect the rovers given the right hardware and ability, etc, at his disposal? Could Spirit have been sabotaged? From what I've gathered on the reports, there is a very strong possibility of software corruption which explains the weird behaviour, etc, but have JPL programmers plugged some form of defense mechanism against 'outside' intrusion? Would it be that difficult to do? Also, there is still a possibility of hardware malfunction - which would obviously render human interference improbable. But, is it POSSIBLE?

#3 2004-01-24 12:38:47

Palomar

Is it possible for someone to 'hack' Spirit or Opportunity? This may sound ridiculous, I know, but I'm curious to know if some savvy techy guy somewhere might be able to affect the rovers given the right hardware and ability, etc, at his disposal? Could Spirit have been sabotaged? From what I've gathered on the reports, there is a very strong possibility of software corruption which explains the weird behaviour, etc, but have JPL programmers plugged some form of defense mechanism against 'outside' intrusion? Would it be that difficult to do? Also, there is still a possibility of hardware malfunction - which would obviously render human interference improbable. But, is it POSSIBLE?

*Hello.  I was wondering that myself, and about an hour ago raised that question with a friend of mine here at New Mars.  His answer seemed to indicate possibly; perhaps he'll read this and chime in.

--Cindy

P.S.:  I like your ID name; gave me a chuckle.  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-01-24 12:51:52

Byron

In a word, yes.  Hackers have been known to penetrate the world's most fortified computer systems, like the Pentagon and the Department of Defense.  As to whether it's likely, I would think not, as it would pose quite a challenge to any potential hackers, unless it's someone on the inside, etc.

My opinon of the breakdown is simply the rover's sheer complexity in an extremely harsh environment.  The odds of something NOT breaking down is unfortunately pretty low  ???

Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of this before it's time for Opportunity to be doing its thing after it lands...

B

#5 2004-01-24 13:42:15

Marineris Sauce
Banned

Interesting. What kind of equipment are we talking here? What are the simplest, cheapest equipment requirements needed to control a Mars rover 100 million miles away? Or, what kind of access would you need if you couldn't do it with 'homemade' items?

#6 2004-01-24 16:39:52

Marineris Sauce
Banned

P.S.:  I like your ID name; gave me a chuckle.

Thanks ecrasez. I like it's many layers of meaning... 'Just add water', 'Martian Soup', 'Saucy poster', 'Obvious Mariner reference', 'My favourite Canyon - Valles Marineris', ' My favourite dipping sauce - Maranara(sp.)'.
:;):

#7 2004-01-24 18:00:50

Shaun Barrett

It occurred to me, too, that we might be witnessing the first case of interplanetary hacking.
    But, knowing what I know about computers (which you could write a hundred times on the back of a postage stamp ... and still have room for The Lord's Prayer! ), I just assumed it couldn't be possible and that I must be getting more paranoid in my old age or something.
                                        yikes

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#8 2004-01-26 21:19:52

GOM

I see you guys haven't had the opportunity to meet Leo, who easily explains mysterious things like this:

Leo

Member # 81

posted 01-03-2004 12:10 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We interrupt this program for breaking news... The Martian Defense Force Supreme Commander, Froge Rongelfrazzen, has just raised the Martian Defense Advisory Level to code RED. We break to Froge now in a live news conference, just underway...

"Good evening my fellow Martians. Increased chatter on the Earthling communications networks along with human intelligence sources indicate a new spy-craft landing will be attempted in the next 24 hours. DO NOT PANIC. Go about your lives as usual, but be alert. We ask cooperation from the public on sighting of anything strange. Earthlings may have deployed small, six wheeled spy vehicles. If you see one, DO NOT APPROACH IT! Report it immediately to MDF command so that it can be properly destroyed. We thank you for your help."

"This is a picture of one of the Earthling spy vehicles. It may look harmless. I personally don't see how such tiny wheels could be expected to get past the first chuck hole. Despite appearances, keep your distance! We believe cameras are mounted at the top of the pole. Stay opposite the lenses so the Earthlings will not see you!"

(As Spirit takes it's first tenative roll, a crowd of curious Martians follows behind, being careful to keep behind the lenses. "Ooh, look at that". "Mommy, why is it looking at that rock?". "I don't know, Kermie, let's just watch". "I have a better rock, should I put it in front of it?". "Shhh....". Meanwhile, back at the JPL... "Any sign of life yet?". "Nah, nothin". "Maybe we should try that big rock, over there...")

[http://www.arn.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?u … 6;t=000807]http://www.arn.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?u … 6;t=000807

#9 2004-01-26 23:38:27

Rxke

but hacking in this case would mean you have to use the *big* antennae to send a 'virus'  ...sounds rather implausible.

and it ain't windowsXP we're talking about, either...

so i say 'no'

#10 2004-01-27 16:02:23

GOM

but hacking in this case would mean you have to use the *big* antennae to send a 'virus'  ...sounds rather implausible.

and it ain't windowsXP we're talking about, either...

so i say 'no'

Not necessarily....

The hacking could have been done before the launch.

Board footer