New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-09 16:29:48

Charbax

Re: Mars DivX - Massive Video-On-Demand - This is how HumansToMars is gonna happen

Hello..

I been Mars Society member for over 3 years or so.. I forgot to pay my yearly student-priced membership the last couple of years though..

HEre is the solution how you're gonna get the a lot and maybe enough people interested in Mars to force the next American president to order NASA send Humans to Mars in 2008.

Eyes on Mars looks very very good:
http://www.starrynight.com/eyesonmars/clips.php

so are the Mp3s on:
http://www.marssociety.org/news/2003/1029.asp

OK, what needs to be done is to get NASA to record all the upcomming Mars Rover coverage, and encode all the old Apollo lunar missions Archive, and I mean every single minute they got in video format and the best documentaries.

Now take all that video, encode it to world-famous DivX codec, then the video is DVD-quality. Then put the whole thing on the internet. Mars Society and somekind of NASA internet-project fund can probably spend the first 10's thousands bucks for the first few terrabytes of bandwidth to spread the videos well around..

Then peer-to-peer technology will enable millions of internet users to experience this fun of Mars-documentary/Rober-coverage/Apollo-archives, that is the best possible entertainment you can provide people.

And so alot of people haven't ever yet experienced video on the internet. This Space-Stuff video will be so popular, it'll be as popular as Napster and Mp3's in the last few years.. It'll be the first video-experience on the internet for millions of internet broadband users.

Now this is how you earn millions $ also distributing stuff like the Eyes on Mars documentarys. You let as many people download it as possible, just make sure you put MarsSociety.org in the credits and release a plug-in for Windows Media Player so viewers are incited to drop by a credit-card payment website to pay up the suggested donation of 1$, which amount people can change to 10$ or 1000$ as they please.. they'd have seen the video and people can understand what it's about..

Important and easy would be for MarsSociety to release all the Mars conventions, speached, interviews, coverage from Mars Research Station and so on..

Put on the internet everything in video-format. This is how you can get peoples attention.

And the next President will be at your feet no matter what.

#2 2003-12-10 10:54:40

Charbax

Re: Mars DivX - Massive Video-On-Demand - This is how HumansToMars is gonna happen

ok this forum doesn't seem to have much activity.. I think we need to change this..

Millions of people should be wanting latest info and discussions about Mars.

check out http://MarsDivX.com and see what happens on that adress..

I think I will try and put alot of Mars Movies and Videos in high quality on my website.. so check back soon or post here what you think would be a good idea to put on such a website.

I dunno if I will be able to talk with MarsSociety but I'd like to put some of their video on the page.. from that Ares3 CD which they had sent everyone of their members once a year or something.. So I got some of that video and will encode to DivX and put forward on my new website tomorrow.

I will start a small kind of forum on the website also so everyone can supply the videos that will be hosted on 100's Gygabyte traffic servers and launch peer-to-peer distribution of 1mbit/s video.

#3 2003-12-10 11:33:38

Rxke

I dunno if I will be able to talk with MarsSociety but I'd like to put some of their video on the page.. from that Ares3 CD which they had sent everyone of their members once a year or something.. So I got some of that video and will encode to DivX and put forward on my new website tomorrow.

Dunno if that would be legal... Copyright stuff and all that?

#4 2003-12-10 13:53:34

Palomar

ok this forum doesn't seem to have much activity.. I think we need to change this..

Millions of people should be wanting latest info and discussions about Mars.

check out http://MarsDivX.com and see what happens on that adress..

I think I will try and put alot of Mars Movies and Videos in high quality on my website..

*Hello.  I clicked on the link.  It takes me to the New Mars page (opened) as an unregistered viewer of your first post in this thread.

Is this your intention?  It seems not...  Just wondering.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2003-12-10 18:28:28

Charbax

RxKe.. I'm sure I can find some Mars video which I would be allowed to put on the internet..

Even though it is maybe just a little difficult doing the checking out of copyrights..

I have some MarsSociety cool documentary.. I'll try put it up and give the link to someone at MarsSociety to check out and hopefully I can get somekind of arrangement that it's totally ok as long as my page is non-profit and just about generating more interest in Mars and MarsSociety, I guess that's the point here with MarsSociety.

Ecrasez l'infame, yeah for now I link to this thread in MarsDivX.com but check back on that adress like tomorrow or soon I'll have my first High Quality Mars Videos up there to download.

I'll try and see if I can put up alot of Apollo videos there without NASA website copyright being angry.

#6 2003-12-11 03:11:56

Rxke

Check this out: MarsSociety Internet Task Force

I suggest you contact Maggie Zubrin, to get the legal issues sorted. Copyright issues tend to be very complicated, and before you know it, you could be getting yourself into a lot of -legal- trouble...

Keep us updated.

BTW: IIRC most Nasa stuff is 'free,' as long as you don't use it commercially... ESA stuff is a lot more 'protected' (idiots, it's *our* tax money that payed for it, isn't it?)

#7 2003-12-12 04:39:40

Charbax

Thanks definately a cool idea!

I'll try to contact Zubrin at the MarsSociety.org website and hopefully I'll get an answer fast..

No matter the speed of the answer, I think there's gonna be some cool Mars DivX on http://MarsDivX.com by tomorrow.. So check back!

#8 2003-12-14 05:53:53

Wim
Website

I put some links on the Mars DivX, that won't hurt the Copyright stuff, will it ?

Dit anibodie sea my englich somwere ?

#9 2003-12-14 06:16:26

Rxke

Hey Charbax!

impressed to see you're actually did this, i have to be honest i was doubting you were serious...

Now let's hope you don't run into trouble...

(There's someone with a law degree on this forum (forget who, i'll look it up)(EDIT: It's Bill White)

maybe PM the person and ask for some legal advice
(make sure you get it for free! tongue )

All the luck!

#10 2003-12-14 17:04:41

Charbax

Thanks for checking out the page and helping allready with links!

http://MarsDivX.com is updated..

I think NAsa might not have any policy concerning people linking directly to some video files on their huge servers..

Though I haven't looked into it at all.. maybe it says somewhere on their Headquarters website..

For now I link to some files directly on Esa and Nasa websites..

But for now there are only 3 people visiting the website anyways.. so for now let's just put all kinds of links.. and assume no one can sue for copyrights when it's Space stuff.

For now I didn't get reply from MarsSociety people.. I just expect they are gonna be cool about putting all their videos and I hope someone at MarsSociety will like the idea and link to the site.. then I hope there will be a system with more than 3 visitors, everything running on peer-to-peer, millions of gygabytes of data transfered.. Several dedicated webmasters with Passwords can automatically update the website with more videos.. everyone working together over somekind of forums.. and so on..

#11 2004-01-15 04:43:19

Charbax

Now I am updating [http://MarsDivX.com]http://MarsDivX.com with NASA press briefings.. still not much very high quality video on the page.. so I hope to find some stuff to encode soon..

Board footer