New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-13 10:18:25

Palomar

Re: Britain's First Space Pioneers

[=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3388535.stm]BBC Article

*I learned a lot from this very informative article (haven't been well acquainted with British space exploration history).  It discusses the launch of the Black Arrow rocket in 1971 (from Australia); the Prospero satellite (whose tape recorders quit working in 1973 and which was "switched off" 10 years ago, but yet it continues to emit a signal...apparently amateur satellite trackers are staying on Prospero and a signal was heard as late as 2000 -- it is speculated Prospero may have switched back on due to its being solar powered); the development of the Concorde eating up space program funds (<frown>).

There's a cautionary note in the article as well.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer