New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2002-06-20 07:04:59

Adrian
Website

Re: World Cup Fun

While browsing for information about the world cup, I found a whole shedload of articles making fun about two things: the USA's famous indifference about football (or soccer, as you colonials like to call it  big_smile ) and their idiosyncratic way of describing sports matches and player stats:

A US website headline: "GOAL Mexico 0 - 2 USA. Two soccer points to no score! Landon Donovan top-bodies the sphere into the score bag, and Mexico have a double-negative stat!"

A BBC News article writing a football match report in US sportswriter style: "...The soccer World Cup, a regional show based on Major League Soccer, concludes June 30 at the Grand Series finale in Japorea."

England roster rundown, US style: "Dave Seaman - Goaltender with a .675 save average in last four, the Arsenal Gooners veteran dresses ahead of other netminders James and Martyn and looks for a fourth consecutive shutout. Stats breakdown of just two handling errors with no turnover. In the frame to make all-star team of the World Cup series."

Okay, okay, it's over the top, I know, but we're just getting back at you Yanks for making fun of football all the time!  smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2002-06-20 11:46:45

Palomar

While browsing for information about the world cup, I found a whole shedload of articles making fun about two things: the USA's famous indifference about football (or soccer, as you colonials like to call it  big_smile ) and their idiosyncratic way of describing sports matches and player stats:

Okay, okay, it's over the top, I know, but we're just getting back at you Yanks for making fun of football all the time!  smile

This Yankee isn't much of a sports fan, but I do see your point about calling it "soccer."  Where did that term come from?  It should be called football, since 99.9% of it is played with the feet (and the rest with occasional head hits).  Why American football is called "football" is strange even to me; the only time the ball connects with the players' feet in that game is when they're punting or kicking; otherwise, it's mostly cradled in the players' arms as they're dashing for the goal or is being tossed through the air by hand.

I live in the desert southwest of the USA [New Mexico], a scant 55 miles from the US-Mexican border; El Paso, Texas is a neighboring city.  The recent US vs Mexican soccer game was a big thing around here.  Mexicans almost began rioting on one of the Bridges of the Americas [an official border crossing] when they'd lost. 

It doesn't matter to me.  The only sports I care about are swimming on Mars, ice-skating on Mars, and rocket-belt races on Mars!  wink

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2002-06-20 12:09:12

Adrian
Website

Well, American Football is more like rugby, if you ask me. And I believe that it's called 'soccer' because it's a shortened version of 'Association' (as in Association Football rules). No, I don't think it's a good reason either  smile

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#4 2002-06-20 14:22:35

Palomar

On a sort-of-related note (UK/rugby/football, not soccer):

Tony Blair is a babe!  big_smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2002-06-21 10:08:49

Bill White

Germany won fair and square - no ref bashing from this Yank

It was cool though - if the German player's hand had not stopped the shot - the USA would have tied the match early in the 2nd half, and then who knows?

The ESPN commentators were were quick to point out - righfully so - that the "hand ball" was inadvertant, the ball "played" the hand, so no foul.

But, if no hand is located at that particular point in space, then the US gets a GOAL!

Oh well, we still have the LA Lakers. . .

Board footer