New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-11 19:52:40

Palomar

Re: Smithsonian Exhibit... - Mars Yard & Personal Exploration Rover

Read Me

*While standing in a checkout line this afternoon with my husband, I happened to notice an article on the front page of a stack of USA Today newspapers, concerning an exhibit at the Smithsonian Institute called "Mars Yard" (which was built by a group of high school students in Virginia), and a little rover.  I decided to do some fishing around via Google and post this information.

Apparently another "Mars Yard" is in the works via a different group of students in Virginia as well.  Those Virginians...what verve!

From the web article: 

"Dubbed the Personal Exploration Rover, it's just about the cutest semiautonomous, six-wheeled robotic vehicle you ever did see. About a foot long and a little less than that wide, the 10-pound rover looked like an eager puppy as it snuffled about, swiveling its periscope-like camera from side to side inside a walled playpen called the 'Mars yard.'...Museum visitors don't use a joystick to drive the rover around the faux Mars-scape. Instead, they wait while the rover's digital camera spins around, snapping a 360-degree panoramic image of its surroundings. Then, on a computer screen, they pull up a map of the Martian surface and click on the rover's current location and which of three rocks they want to examine for signs of organo-fluorescence, an indicator of certain types of bacteria."

The article (above...not the newspaper article) also mentions a college student from England at the Smithsonian, viewing the exhibit; she is mourning the loss of Beagle 2 and a cousin of hers worked on Beagle's software.

--Cindy

P.S.:  Beneath the big photo of Mars on the front page of USA Today was an attention-getter for kids:  Marvin the Martian (cartoon figure).  I'm like, what's up with him being on there...didn't he always want to blow up the Earth because it "obstructed his view of Venus"?!   :;):

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

Board footer