New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-01-07 03:26:22

han solo
Banned

Re: Strange dream I had.... is it possible

Keep having these recurring dreams that myself and others have been placed on mars to help create some sort of life support there. Very vivid almost like its a message.....

Anyways I want to know if anyone has proof that the polar caps actually contain large amounts of water, because in my dreams I am sent there to set up large nuclear devices to exlpode and melt the ice caps... Is that possible???

Please respond these mars dreams are starting to eat away at me.

Regards,

John

#2 2004-01-07 08:36:05

lmvdr
Banned

hey john,

as far as i know, the polar caps on mars contain mostly dry ice (frozen co2!?). smelting it could initate a greenhouse effect which would warm up the whole martian atmosphere.

i don't think that we can calculate or even imagine the results of such a operation. why not trying it out on earth?!  :angry:

what happens in your dream after blasting the ice? does the alarm clock ring?

greetings
lmvdr, just trying not to post questions all the time

#3 2004-01-07 13:35:35

han solo
Banned

Carbon huh?? No h20 at all in the frozen caps? Curious...

Most certaintly the green house effect would warm up the planet, (excuse my ignorance) would this allow for some form of persipitation i.e clouds, rain ect..? Also people are planting exotic looking trees in my dream, genetically altered perhaps. Could trees be planted on Mars to release oxygen?? And if so why not have a rover plant some seeds on mars?

As far as my dream goes its seems to progressing further every night. I started taking ambien last week for my horrible sleep patterns. Ever since then these vivid dreams started about mars. Last night we where still installing these tall narrow nuclear structures that dug deep into the polar caps. My supervisor told us that all humans on mars would have to stay in hibernation for 5-6months after detotanation occurs. I usually wake up after 5-7 minutes of these dreams. Any one else report dream disturbances on ambien?

regards,

John

#4 2004-01-07 14:08:27

lmvdr
Banned

dear john,

there is water packed in the polar caps, though i don't know the ratio.

i am wondering wether it would be possible to design a kind of bacterium which eats/smelts the ice and starts the greenhouse effect. just throwing a handy box with them on mars and the show begins! (without nuclear contamination.)

any biologist here?

planting some trees or whatever on the poles should be possible after modifying them on earth. we can simulate a martian atmosphere here - "air", temerature, air pressure, ground are no problem, only the gravity is 3 times higher on earth. (this is probably one of the smaller problems.)

sure, we won't be able to grow oaks or orchids on mars, but moss or fern are simple and minimalistic enough to get genetic manupulated.

anyway i prefer the bacteries. stopping them from population and stopping them from mutating could cause problems.

greetings from southern germany, where it is not less cold than on mars
lmvdr

#5 2004-01-07 14:14:22

Rxke

I suggest to you to look into the threads about 'terraformation', where a lot of scenarios and ideas are explained and discussed...

There is a lot of water at the poles, it's only in 'winter' there is an even bigger layer of dry ice (frozen CO2 from the atmosphere) above it...

#6 2004-01-07 15:44:19

han solo
Banned

So if there is water(frozen) than possible life forms had to of excisted at some point....

Is it possible that underwater oceans may excist under the frozen layer of ice?

#7 2004-01-07 15:58:38

Rxke

There is *a lot* of discussion about the H2O underground: how much, how deep, in what form... Answer: nobody really knows, today...
*BUT*
Europe's Mars Express orbiter has an impressive radar, that will take a *deep* look underground... (see thread: unnmanned missions: "Mars express:success" for more info on the orbiter...) possibly (probably) shedding a new light on these questions.

A lot of questions will be answered this year, thanks to the Rvers, Mars Express, and of course the older, but still functioning American orbiters, Odyssey and Global Surveyor.

Of course, there will be a lot of *new* questions popping up, too...

#8 2004-01-07 16:09:42

Josh Cryer

Six words; Mars has a lot of water.

We knew years ago that the residual (meaing 'summer') polar caps were composed of water ice, moreso than carbon dioxide. But Odyssey's Gamma Ray Spectrometer has almost proven conclusively that there's tons of water on Mars. Vast vast amounts of water. It's really quite great.

It's really hard to speculate, but many things are possible. For instance, it's not that far fetched to think that there do in fact exist underground watersheds. In a way, on a planet like Mars, it would be far fetched to think that there aren't any. You just have so many unique geologic formations (many that we in fact don't actually fully understand).

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#9 2004-01-07 16:18:18

Rxke

Yes, i didn't want to suggest 'we' doubted the 'being there' of water, only that it's uncertain where and how etc

(the more tired i become, the more bad my english (this sentence is proof of that! can't think of the right way to say more bad (oh yes: worse))

#10 2004-01-07 18:00:55

lmvdr
Banned

just to catch the idea of my posting: when there is so much water and carbon dioxide, which are the basics of every plant, why do we think about growing them in high-tech greenhouses instead of turning the mars in a great greenhouse and manipulating them to work out there???

regards,
lmvdr

#11 2004-01-07 18:07:51

clark

super-oxidized mars 'dirt' makes for a very poor growth medium. There is a lack of nitrogen, and other bio-mass that would allow more complex organic plants to thrive.

We might possibly GM various plants into a 'super weed' sometime in the future that could live in a martian environment, but such an undertaking is decade's away (we're still mapping the genomes of most plants and animals, after that, we have to get into the role of protein formation/encoding from RNA)

#12 2024-04-14 12:13:54

Mars_B4_Moon

an old topic maybe dreams will be discussed again which link to space

What do bird dreams sound like?
https://phys.org/news/2024-04-bird.html

Since the "code" behind how this information gets processed is unknown, it hasn't been possible to map a pattern of nocturnal activity to song, until now.

Writing in the journal Chaos, a team of researchers from the University of Buenos Aires reports a method to translate the vocal muscle activity of birds during sleep into synthetic songs.

Carl Jung and the Psychology of Dreams – Messages from the Unconscious
https://academyofideas.com/2023/06/carl … conscious/

'Scientific discoveries in dreams: Sleeping while the mind works'
https://hekint.org/2023/12/19/scientifi … ind-works/

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2024-04-14 12:14:26)

Board footer