New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-12-27 04:16:49

Rxke

Re: 2003, the year that shaped exploration of space - Overview and way ahead...

MarsDaily

The Columbia break-up
ISS  questioned
NASA questioned
Deep Space discoveries
A flurry o probes to Mars
China...

This will prove to be a pivotal year in space exploration...

Here's to 2004!

#2 2003-12-27 06:40:26

Shaun Barrett

Rxke:-

Here's to 2004!

You said it, pal!!
    2004 has the potential to be a champagne year for space cadets. There's Mars Express (and Beagle 2 ?), the two MERs, and the arrival of Cassini and Huygens at Saturn.

Yeeehaaaawww!!! Now that's what I call a year to remember ... we hope!
                                      :;):    smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2003-12-28 02:43:00

Mark
Banned

It definately does seem like 2003 was/is the year where some re-newed interest in space exploration has taken place. I think 2004 will be the year where we will be getting some truly tasty stuff, from Mars Express(and hopefully Beagle 2), not to forget Cassini which is due to enter the Saturnian system 01 July 2004, but by end of June it will be passing by Phoebe(Saturn's outer-most moon), then January 2005 will have the Huygens probe landing on Titan's surface, giving us over 1000 images and all kinds of data. I think 2004/2005 will be the year of Saturn exploration for us, but also Mars exploration too if all the probes succeed(along with Mars Express). I think it's safe to say that 2004 will be a big year in terms of space exploration.

#4 2003-12-28 05:31:25

Rxke

Sure will be... "Space" will be in the news non-stop...

Beagle, Mars rovers, orbiters, Cassini/Huygens, Stardust, SpaceShipOne (!), MESSENGER, Space Shuttle back to flight, The new big telescope (Spritz or whatever, can't seem to remember it's name, though it's a GREAT observatory) some ESA stuff... Maybe some Russian-launched tourists (2 tickets sold, already, 2 other tickets left), XCOR private low-cost launcher...

I guess i forgot a few, but you get the picture!  smile

Board footer