New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-06-07 05:15:35

smurf975
Website

Re: Shields UP! - Star Trek Like Shields

What are the chances for something even remotely similair to ST shields?

What are your ideas on implementing these?

I'm thinking stuff like:

1. Creating a cushion of plasma (like the space shuttle uses now)

2. For aircraft, ionizing air and then repel it to lower sub-sonic drag. Problem is then how those the aircraft gets its air to make the turbines turn and lift?

3. My limited knowledge of Quantum Physics tells me that all elements have some kind of magnetic properties at the right temperature, pressure and magnetic force. Hence the metallic properties of the inner core of Jupiter’s hydrogen core. Take advantage of this to create some kind of magnetic based shield. For example something that can repel hydrogen atoms.

4. Structural integrity enforcer. Something like how a microwave works except of heating hydrogen atoms it will enforce the molecular bonds. Like how each molecule has a sweet spot in the way it reacts to light absorption and rejection (giving it its unique color).

There must be a way to enforce the bonds of molecules using electromagnetism. Maybe by absorbing an EM field that changes at a certain frequency (of the molecule) and makes the electrons more determent to stay in the molecular bond as long as the EM field relatively is stronger then the external energy force. (But this is almost like the microwave theory)

5. <Insert you ideas here>

Waht? Tehr's a preveiw buottn?

#2 2004-06-07 07:10:44

Shaun Barrett

Hi Smurf975!
    Are you talking about the internal molecular (intramolecular) bonds of, say, H2 or are you talking about external (intermolecular) bonds like the hydrogen-bonds between water molecules?
    Also, if we're talking about intermolecular bonds, where do you get enough molecules out in interstellar space (a la Star Trek) to form any kind of coherent shield? Or are you only speaking of shields which operate within a planetary atmosphere?

In quantum mechanics, a force is carried by a kind of messenger particle, e.g. photons carrying the electro-magnetic force.
    Perhaps we should be trying to imagine some way of projecting such messenger particles (perhaps gluons, which mediate the extraordinarily strong, though short-range, strong nuclear force) out into a spherical region around us or our vessel?
    I have no idea how to go about such a thing but you can sort of imagine something like that interfering very powerfully with any form of matter trying to pass through it ... or at least, I can!
                                                  big_smile   smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#3 2004-06-07 07:59:19

smurf975
Website

Hi Shaun,

I was talking about intermolecular and in the point that you got this from I was thinking of not a shield like in ST but the ships hull.

As I got from http://www.visionlearning.com/library/m … id=55]this site you got a lot of forms of chemical bonding.

But again I don't know much about chemistry nor physics. So my question is if I would base my idea on "Polar and Non-Polar Covalent Bonding" (on which H2O is based) as according to the above-mentioned site. An example on http://www.nmsea.org/Curriculum/7_12/el … s.htm]this site

You might have expected that H2O would break up into an H and an OH (the same atoms but with neutral charges) instead, but this doesn't happen because the oxygen atom more strongly attracts the electron from the H - it steals it (we say the oxygen atom is more "electronegative" than hydrogen). This theft allows the resulting hydroxide ion to have a completely filled outer shell, making it more stable.

But the H+, which is just a naked proton, is now free to pick up an electron (symbolized e-) from the cathode, which is trying hard to donate electrons, and become a regular, neutral hydrogen atom

Meanwhile, the positive anode has caused the negatively charged hydroxide ion (OH-) to travel across the container to the anode. When it gets to the anode, the anode removes the extra electron that the hydroxide stole from the hydrogen atom earlier, and the hydroxide ion then recombines with three other hydroxide molecules to form 1 molecule of oxygen and 2 molecules of water

Instead of making the oxygen molecule steal the electron and weaken the bond make the bond stronger. With a reverse electrolyses process.

For instance if the (space) ships hull is made of a metal alloy it should have some unique electromagnetic properties. So instead of using amps to destroy a molecule use a field to enhance them.

#4 2004-06-07 14:09:10

Euler

The Earth's magnetic field is able to stop most radiation from reaching the Earth's surface.  If you generate a strong enough magnetic field around your ship, it should be effective against most weapons.  I don't think that there are very many things that could get through a magntar-stregnth magnetic field.  The only weak points would be at the poles of the magnetic field.

#5 2004-06-09 07:41:30

John Creighton
Website

The only weak points would be at the poles of the magnetic field.

That is why on star track the shields are modulated? ???

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#6 2004-07-08 17:15:40

smurf975
Website

http://www.cheniere.org/books/ferdelance/index.html]An interesting site / book relating to this topic.

#7 2005-07-17 18:50:25

Mace
Banned

If you keep the poles spinning around your ship really really fast, then any weapons would be caught in orbit. Then when you suddenly switch them off, the weapons will go flying off away from your ship.

What about lasers? magetic fields won't work on them. A whole frequency of light can be used.

What about plastic bullets? They will go right through the magnetic shield.

Why not just cover your hull with a very very thick syrup solution. Believe me, it is really hard to move things through syrup. A missle or something would have trouble too. Also, the best part is, your shields will reform over the weapon because it is liquidish.

#8 2005-07-18 00:46:31

Trebuchet
Banned

I'm agreeing with Mace, sort of... 'shields' will likely be physical. Utility fog - a cloud of microbe-sized robots - is envisioned for many interesting uses, but it would be a great defensive tool too, turning into opaque and reflective layers to absorb, ablate, or deflect lasers; cushioning explosions; or absorbing heat.

#9 2005-07-18 16:56:09

Mace
Banned

interesting, but it will be expensive and lost robots will have to be replaced from a storage supply. It seems a waste to use these against "weak" weapons. I still think some sort of re-forming shield would be best for most cases. nano-bots to protect against extreme dangers.

I had an interesting idea while looking at fiber optics, let me know what you think. These fibers bend light via changing mediums. The change is so extreme that the light completely bends and thus stays in the thin fiber (or something like this) So, what if we find two liquid, solids, or even gases that do this to surround our ship. All light weapons would be worthless.

#10 2005-07-18 21:31:16

Commodore

http://space.com/businesstechnology/tec … conducting Magnetic Bubble May Protect Astronauts From Radiation

Just thought I'd through that in there.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#11 2005-07-21 11:07:26

srmeaney

That should sterilize Mars Colonists nicely...

#12 2005-07-21 12:39:39

Cobra Commander

That should sterilize Mars Colonists nicely...

So. . . what would be the point of sending colonists then?  wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#13 2005-07-21 20:23:06

Mace
Banned

Is there a cheap way to put this to use on Mars? A huge magnet could be very expensive to ship there. Maybe all the iron oxide on Mars could be used as a natural magnet to divert all the radiation at least from the colony?

#14 2005-07-22 17:45:05

srmeaney

Why not. Build some big tesla coils on Mars, Discharge the static build through coils to ground and generate huge amounts of electromagnetic radiation.

#15 2005-08-10 20:38:33

Mace
Banned

I know this may sound a bit crazy, but with all the population tranfer to Mars, there is bound to be some waste. So, why bother to recycle? Just leave all the garbage in space and pretty soon, there will be a nice shield. With a lot of fast moving pieces of waste, radiation will have a hard time getting through (and maybe light too) because the trash will aborb or reflect a lot, also micrometoers would likely hit the trash and thus the trash will keep the colony safe.

#16 2005-08-11 08:47:19

reddragon
Banned

The trash would also keep ships carrying colonists or supplies from getting through. If it was thick enough to block some of the sun's light, then it will also cool Mars -- probably the last thing the planet needs if people want to live there.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
              by Douglas Adams

#17 2005-08-31 13:10:19

Mace
Banned

First, we can make gaps in the garbage. Second, we are trying to protect the people. Without an atmosphere, the light will have radiation with it, so blocking it would be good. Assuming our domes have good insolation, extra heat from the Sun would make no difference.

#18 2005-09-14 12:18:13

publiusr
Banned

I think they have transparent concrete--which would be a good matrix to put shielding material in.

#19 2024-04-13 00:57:16

Mars_B4_Moon

Not Star Trek but

NASA is Building an Electrodynamic Shield to Deal with all that Dust on the Moon and Mars
https://www.universetoday.com/166615/na … -and-mars/
Exploration of the Moon or other dusty environments comes with challenges. The lunar surface is covered in material known as regolith and its a jaggy, glassy material. It can cause wear and tear on equipment and can pose a health risk to astronauts too. Astronauts travelling to Mars would experience dust saucing to everything, including solar panels leading to decrease in power. To combat the problems created by dust, NASA is working on an innovative electrodynamic dust shield to remove dust and protect surfaces from solar panels to space suits.

Board footer