New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2022-08-14 10:37:15

tahanson43206

Operating System Updates Apple Linux Microsoft Raspberry Pi Other

For SpaceNut ... you had a topic somewhere that dealt with operating systems, but wherever it is, it did not include the word "system" in the title.

This topic is available for anyone who might be so inclined to post news ab out updates of any of the many software operating systems that exist and are in actual use by members....

(th)

#2 2022-08-14 10:42:05

tahanson43206

Re: Operating System Updates Apple Linux Microsoft Raspberry Pi Other

Unbuntu is out with version 22.04.1 LTS for 64 bit systems.

I have numerous machines that use that OS, so am having to spend multiple hours baby sitting the upgrades.

Unlike with my experience with Microsoft upgrades, Linux ones (and specifically Ubuntu) are error free, and everything "just works" after the upgrade.

I do not have experience with Apple, but understand (from comments by those who do use Apple) that their experiences are generally positive as well.  I understand that Apple long ago converted to a flavor of Linux.

Web Browser upgrades occur frequently, and generally without incident.

In fact, the main way I know that a web browser update is needed is when a customer facing entity (like a bank) refuses to accept login by an obsolete browser.

(th)

#3 2022-08-14 17:01:56

tahanson43206

Because the current investigation of pixel properties is leading toward XML as a format for delivery of captured data to a spreadsheet, I was curious to know if an XML viewer is available.  It turns out that Chrome is able to support a free extension.

Home/
Developer tools/
XML Viewer
XML Viewer
XML Viewer
Olgierd Borowski
(0)

60 Users
Developer tools

Update 2022/08/17 ... there are a number of XML "pretty print" utilities ... some are online and some run locally

Google found a convenient option available to Ubuntu users (and probably users of other flavors of Linux) ...

xmllint is a utility that can be given the command: xmllint --format (your xml file) > outputintext.xml

The result is a text file that contains the XML output of a spreadsheet in human readable forrm

(th)

#4 2022-08-17 12:36:54

tahanson43206

This post is intended to (try to) increase public awareness of work done by a member of the Columbus Computer Society, to help new owners of Raspberry Pi computers to load the Raspberry Pi flavor of Debian.

Mr. Wright is (now retired) from a career in Information Processing that included serving as an instructor at a local community college.

An Unofficial Raspberry Pi - Craig Wright's Home Page

https://www.craig-wright.us › piFiles › RaspberryPiS...PDF

Dec 19, 2020 — Copy a Raspberry Pi OS image onto a microSD card via Raspberry Pi Imager ... Note that during the initial setup, you might want to connect a ...

At last night's Zoom meeting of the Columbus Computer Society, Craig demonstrated the process of loading a brand new Raspberry Pi right out of the box, all the way through waking up on the local Intranet as a fully configured Linux box ready to accept logins and to perform such tasks as the owner might request.

If there is interest in the book, or the process of configuration, I am willing to ask Mr. Wright if he would be available to give a (small) class to NewMars members.

As most readers of this forum would know, the Raspberry Pi is a compact but surprisingly powerful computer system designed and manufactured in the UK.

(th)

#5 2024-01-23 19:40:39

tahanson43206

The Raspberry Pi documentation site has been down for a while, due to a combination of changes not in the host's control.  It took a while to work through the steps needed to adjust to the changes.

The site is back up: https://craig-wright.us/raspberry_pi.html

If anyone is interested in working with a Raspberry Pi, Mr. Wright is available once a month for online consultation.

I can (and will) forward any inquiries that might come in from NewMars members.

Plus, there is a contact option on the web site itself.

(th)

#6 2024-02-09 16:20:21

tahanson43206

This post is about the new VR device from Apple.  They call it something else.

I stopped in at the local Apple store today, to see the helmet.  I had not made a reservation, so had to wait for a slot to open up. There are (were) two teams of staff working with this product.  There is a sales person/demonstrator out front, and a support person in the back, for each of two tables. 

When I was waved over to meet my guide, we went through some preliminaries before I could start the demo.  The procedure involves taking a camera view of the visitor's head.  I note with interest that if Apple wanted to, they could save that data.  However, I did not think to ask.  In any case, the readings finally took, and the helmet was brought out from the back on an oval serving tray.  The demonstrator then spent more time explaining how to hold the device, and how to fit the headband.  There is a dial on the head band that the wearer can adjust for tightness. I liked that design feature, and used it.

What I had come into the store to find out is whether this device could be used for teleoperation, and I came away convinced that it most definitely could.

The "see through" feature of the screen is ** very ** nice, and far superior to anything I have seen previously.

The image quality is outstanding.  All in all, I feel safe in recommending this experience to anyone who might have the least interest.

Just be sure to call ahead to make an appointment.

(th)

#7 2024-03-23 08:26:23

tahanson43206

This post is about differences between Windows and Linux. The specific focus is installation of FluxBB software on the two different platforms.

In ongoing development of improvements to the FluxBB software used by NewMars, we have instances running on Windows and on Linux. The challenge for the Admins was to recreate the Linux environment on a development machine separate from the Mars Society production environment.  I asked ChatGPT4 to think about the differences in the two environments, and suggest a procedure that would allow the developer on Linux to enjoy the same success as the developer on Windows. 

Apache Internal Server Error objected to the content of this post, because it contained names internal to FluxBB

The secret is to use this command in the directory where the forum files are stored:
s u d o space p h p space i n s t a l l . p h p

(th)

Board footer