New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-07-02 06:42:40

karov

Re: Temperatures inside?

Please, who has it to provide data and/or estimations abnout the temperature values and/or gradients within the bodies of SolSys?

Say, what`s the temperature and pressure in 1000km depth in Titan? 100km in Ceres, in the center of Pluto or Eris???

#2 2007-07-05 15:52:35

RickSmith
Banned

Hi Karov,
  For Ceres, Pluto and Eris, they are so small that their temperature at depth is likely only a couple hundred degrees K warmer than their surfaces.  For Ceres (wild guess here) it might be 300 K.  For Pluto and Enis it might be 100 K.

For Titan, it has a radius of 2575 km.  Luna is 1738 km. The rate that a world loses heat is inversely proportional to the square of the radius.   

Luna at 1000 km is about 1800 K.  Titan is larger, so this might be over 2000 K.  Additionally Titan is not tide locked so it will get some heat by tidal warming.  My GUESS would be from 2000 K to 2500 K at 1000 km depth.

Warm regards, Rick.

#3 2024-02-16 14:01:49

Mars_B4_Moon

Evidence for hydrothermal or metamorphic activity within the icy dwarf planets Eris and Makemake
https://www.swri.org/press-release/swri … rf-planets

#4 2024-02-16 19:38:15

Calliban

Interesting find.  Eris is some 23% more massive than Pluto, but has slightly smaller diameter.  It therefore contains more rock, which means more potassium-40, uranium and thorium, to generate heat through radioactive decay.  One would expect Eris to be even more dynamic than Pluto.  Maybe this will capture enough interest from NASA to justify sending a probe to Eris.

"Plan and prepare for every possibility, and you will never act. It is nobler to have courage as we stumble into half the things we fear than to analyse every possible obstacle and begin nothing. Great things are achieved by embracing great dangers."

#5 2024-02-16 20:24:22

Void

I am intruding and perhaps not welcome just now, but I note this: https://phys.org/news/2023-02-radioacti … e_vignette  Quote:

FEBRUARY 20, 2023

Editors' notes
Radioactive isotopes reach Earth by surfing supernova blast waves, scientists discover
by University of Hertfordshire

I am puzzled as to how this stuff fights the solar wind and gets to us.  I am wondering if in the contest between the output of exploding stars, and Neutron Stars collisions, vs. the solar wind, might Kuiper belt objects get more radioactive substances delivered to them than the Earth?

Just a thought.  Maybe such worlds are driven by fission instead of fusion.

The shock wave where the wind stops may collect such materials?  The Heliopause?

The Heliopause may be further out than the Kuiper belt though.

Maybe.

Done

Well that just might work a bit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_(dwarf_planet)
Quote:

Aphelion    97.457 AU (14.579 Tm)
Perihelion    38.271 AU (5.725 Tm)

Distance of the Heliopause?

OK, I may be close: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliosphere
Quote:

The termination shock is the point in the heliosphere where the solar wind slows down to subsonic speed (relative to the Sun) because of interactions with the local interstellar medium. This causes compression, heating, and a change in the magnetic field. In the Solar System, the termination shock is believed to be 75 to 90 astronomical units[16] from the Sun. In 2004, Voyager 1 crossed the Sun's termination shock, followed by Voyager 2 in 2007.[3][5][17][18][19][20][21][22]

So, Eris may orbit within the terminator shock in a significant part of its orbit.  I cannot prove that that gives it more radioactive materials, but it might be considered that it might be so.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-02-16 20:40:36)

Done.

Board footer