New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-10-26 18:19:31

Mars_B4_Moon

The Martian Trade Grid

there are many words triggering the filter

This topic for now a small series of colony, assuming humans want to expand but then going into rapid expansion in year 2101 and beyond

* topic and thread not working will return later *

A new set of colonies on Mars will be high tech with robots and AI but might establish a traditional economy model and be like the formation of towns in the early settlement of the USA, with colony like Jamestown, Virginia, Santa Fe, farming region on Argentina, mining in the Australian outback. A soft form of Mercantilism would still be a 'Mars First' economic policy. There would be no original Native population to exploit, humanoid robots would only be functional and it would be unwise to teach robots to be like emotional teenagers like we see in our Chatbots, the system would be based more on machinery and logic however that is not to say some chatting AI watch or Tv or hologram would not provide emotional support, it would however be a bad idea to build robots that get emotional like humans and might one day seem themselves as a Slave-Class and revolt. Mars would have a traditional Mercantile and Robot system that is designed to keep the humans on Mars alive within their small colonies and maximize the exports and minimize the imports for an economy. In a series of original small colonies expanding to larger colonialism it seeks to maximize the accumulation of resources within the  Mars Station / Region and use those resources for one-sided trade more for expansion. In some ways the merchant robot system promoted finding more stuff and it would promote imperialism, colonialism perhaps protectionism of the first colonies or base colonies or currency manipulation, and tariffs and subsidies on outside traded goods to achieve that goal. The expanding economic policy would aims to reduce debts and limit deficit o but it would also includes measures aimed at accumulating reserves be they minerals, Dollar Yen Euro reserves, precious waters, valuable metals, long term food stuff, processed plant resources, iron-ores and collect such items  by a positive balance of trade, especially of finished goods. There would be advertisement to start a life on a new world and encouragement of a 'Gold Rush' of sorts but not for items like Tobacco or Gold like the Spanish did but to collect more material that can be processed and used for more planetary expansion, such policy might contributed to more people on Mars and more colonial expansion.

One Biosphere might already be established like early Earth colonies in its age of exploration, on Mars you might have a Nuclear Reactor or one set of Biodomes might have access to some steady power from Nuclear reactors. Farms might already exist with fast growing planets, different types of quick growing trees that are resistant to radiation, shrubs and farms of algae, mushrooms and insect and lizard and other mammals. Inside these domes the plants might be processed to make more chemicals, to make Ethanol and Methanol are both types of alcohol and other types of medicine, a farm might also have human dwelling and a chemical processing site. Robots and People and Cyborgs going to Mars would be encouraged to make more 'Farms' and more Mines whatever that resource would be water or metals and create more 'Power' through Solar Power or whatever method. Certain Animals might be more suited to Mars like Troglobites and some animals might be more radiation resistant, one task might be simply living off the permaforst without causing too much damage and movement, it is possible some sites will have to be on stilts. It could be discorded a type of engineered Moss or Lichen or Honey Locust Tree or Pagoda Tree Plant. The makers and caretakers of plants and algae can become producers of fuels the Ethanol and methanol are both types of alcohol
an industry might exist around making the next plastic item, about creating a Design Colony Kitchen Appliances or Housing and 3-d printed furniture, Arts and Sculptures and Museums and Entertainment might come after. There might be a contest within colonies for Food items and even a local show for Mars G Cooking methods en route to Mars and what foods in what location a wealthy Space-tourist should come visit, there will be the latest in food technology, a robot Chef or Cook perhaps, 3D printed food. The foods and trees and plants selected for early colonies will be resistant to diseases, cold, radiation and drought, they will also survive periods of weather blocked by long dust storms or partial shade. The Trees and Plant and Animal might first be selectively bred on Earth or engineered on Earth to survive areas close to the snow line or natural tree line of our Polar Climates 10 to 12 °C (50 to 54 °F)  the North Polar and South Polar the tundra biome, Sub Polar Oceanic, the Sub Arctic, the plant or animal might even be engineered for hostile life conditions for extremophile prehistoric life conditions. Farms might become breeds then having knowledge of the best plants and the best breed of animals for the next expanding colony.

*deleting words*

This post will also be a good test of 'gremlins in the machinery'.
Any robot delivery system or supply from machine car that is essential to for the workings of colonies will be backed up by alternative systems, software 1 will be backed up by a secondary system operating and a third system, they will 'vote' in case of a robot making a decision and where 2 can overrule the one brain that operates in error.

A developed Mars might have a dwelling, tourism, digital exchange and product exchange market.

In some ways the system on Mars might operate a level of protectionism, hustlers will be locked out but minimal protection and applications wanted to allow friction-less trading, there will be an opportunity for people from the outside for example Earth be they Cyborg corporation or AI or human company to 'get in'.

North homes and South homes for the human might be in state of exchange, give up and rent their colony and housing to other people wanting to come from South and the South swap their home to the North, this might be done through private exchange people wanting to escape cold winters or maybe arrive in winter for sport games and to see visual spectacle of snow falling on another region, a long winter vacation they had no access to. A group or person or family on Mars could move, give up and rent their colony and housing to other people wanting to come from South and the South swap their home to the North,
This might be done through private exchange people wanting to escape cold winters or maybe arrive in winter for sport games and to see visual spectacle of snow falling on another region, a long winter vacation they had no access to.

Cars, Robotic Rovers and Trucks must travel great distances each month, the records for now are Opportunity driven a grand total of 25 miles or 40 kilometers, breaking the previous off-Earth distance record of 24.2 miles, which was held by the Russian lunar rover Lunokhod II. Every month on the Moon and Mars a local net a communication inter virtual reality web will exchange bidding to deliver goods, the first colonies on Mars will already have their bunkers and resources stored. However future colonies will go out and find and expand to find more of their essential food, air and water must be delivered but also perhaps a type of Dutch Auction for buying or selling goods and service, most commonly it means the Astronaut Company or Robot will be part of an auction in which the auctioneer begins with a high asking price in the case of selling, and lowers it until some colony space participant accepts the price as good and fair.
The Cars and Robots themselves might have a system to keep them warm through the long winters, wearing a type of teacosy foil and the Robot-car restarts itself when its temperature drops to low, there might be a type of warmed housing that keeps vehicles warm during the winter period.
An entire industry might build up around repair and maintenance and recycling of the cars, robots, helicopters, balloons, aircraft, trucks and trains of Mars.

Mars will be a technological frontier clusters of information and product operating like a freeway, when you prove your design for working a farm in outer space or prove ability on the Moon you can get automatically qualified to trade within the Mars economy.
A developed Mars might have a dwelling, tourism, digital exchange and product exchange market, it might generate income through sporting events and other entertainment spectacles. Perhaps Mars  next frontier experiment and information and product operation like a when you prove your system on a Space Station or Lunar Surface or a Mars Analogue you might be allowed bid automatically qualified to within the Mars bidding system.

In some ways the system on Mars will look out for their own people they might operate a level of protectionism, maybe with hundreds of people arriving on Mars the local politics will good and bad, it perhaps have hustlers and some regulation and controlled scenario of some for safety reason will be almost locked out, there might be a regulation authority for human safety. Most companies might have access to compete so economics follows less resistant, like water and electricity the economic force will find the easiest path. Certain activist might be frowned upon but perhaps it will be a plant of less government control, minimal protection and applications wanted to allow friction-less trading, there will be an opportunity for people from beyond Mars for example Earth be they Cyborg corporation or AI or human company to 'get in'.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-10-28 17:08:32)

#2 2023-10-26 18:30:02

tahanson43206

Re: The Martian Trade Grid

For Mars_B4_Moon re new topic ....

The title of your new topic suggests it will be quite interesting when you get it going.

The other topic with "trade" in the title was Terraformer's about Ceres.  Terraformer has a particular interest in Ceres, and registered as Cerean at Dr. Dartnell's Knowledge Forum.

If you are hitting a snag with the forum software, please report details in Housekeeping.

kbd512 is working on the forum software, primarily to bring it up to current standards, but he might be able to take a look at problems that might exist.  The Apache Internal Server error seems too elusive to be pinned down to any one issue.

(th)

#3 2023-10-28 07:14:39

Mars_B4_Moon

That line should read - 'perhaps it will be a planet of less government control' ... not plant but I can no longer edit the text

A post on the Mars trade grid still fails to be posted. I will put maybe a bold or underline or an italic between letters to try pass the filter North Home and the phrase 'get in' surround by a  a quotation mark symbol seems to trigger the filter along with many other words, I am trying preview for now but I might have to break the post into parts.  I wonder if there is a filter on programming code words like Get  In interpreted as a Code command.

also having trouble with CryptoCurrency MarsCoin

Keeping the Car Warm?

Mars batteries, moving liquids and fuel line? How to keep your battery from dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2dk7wG6awo

Starting it up regular back on Earth...Mars might also need a place to store its Car in Winter to stop it getting too cold.

Edit

I might keep trying the original text for now, I also and posted a duplicate thread of the same title which I decided to delete

the post should be thread id=10596 (a link which I can not post)

so I also wonder if this triggered a spam filter

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-10-28 17:29:01)

#4 2023-10-28 07:23:26

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon .... Thanks for additional details about the problem you've encountered ... I've found it helpful to store large documents on Dropbox and post a link to the document here in the forum.

I just triggered Apache Internal Server Error with a very small post!  I wonder if there is something about the topic itself that is giving Apache fits?

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Martian Trade Grid topic evolves.

As an experiment I'll put the text that Apache doesn't like in the Housekeeping topic.

(th)

#5 2023-10-28 07:30:37

tahanson43206

For Mars_B4_Moon ...
Here is the text I was unable to post in the new Grid topic ...

You can set up a free Dropbox account to serve long documents via read-only links.
In addition, Google offers some storage for free if you create a document using their Google Workspace.  I think the size of the free space might be as high as 8 Gb, but whatever it is, it is generous.

The Share feature in Google Docs is easy to use, and it is a bit less of a hassle to use because you're already logged into Google.

(th)

#6 2023-10-28 17:20:02

Mars_B4_Moon

Might return to the thread later, I think the economy of Mars might also be comparable to some sites in desert regions, very high altitude hostile regions and regions of business in the Sub-Arctic and Tundra economies.

Board footer