New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#226 2023-07-07 15:12:42

tahanson43206

Re: ChatGPT

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/open … 43109.html

In my first visit with GPT-4 since upgrading to the paid version, I found it identical to 3.5, except that it advertised itself as 4.

The announcement below may or may not apply to the subscription I opened.

I'm still waiting for books about how to work with ChatGPT as a developer.

TechCrunch
OpenAI makes GPT-4 generally available

Image Credits: Bryce Durbin / TechCrunch
Kyle Wiggers
Thu, July 6, 2023 at 3:44 PM EDT
OpenAI today announced the general availability of GPT-4, its latest text-generating model, through its API.

Starting this afternoon, all existing OpenAI API developers "with a history of successful payments" can access GPT-4. The company plans to open up access to new developers by the end of this month, and then start raising availability limits after that "depending on compute availability."

"Millions of developers have requested access to the GPT-4 API since March, and the range of innovative products leveraging GPT-4 is growing every day," OpenAI wrote in a blog post. "We envision a future where chat-based models can support any use case. "

GPT-4 can generate text (including code) and accept image and text inputs -- an improvement over GPT-3.5, its predecessor, which only accepted text -- and performs at “human level” on various professional and academic benchmarks. Like previous GPT models from OpenAI, GPT-4 was trained using publicly available data, including from public web pages, as well as data that OpenAI licensed.

The image-understanding capability isn’t available to all OpenAI customers just yet. OpenAI’s testing it with a single partner, Be My Eyes, to start with. But it hasn't indicated when it'll open it up to the wider customer base.

It's worth noting that, as with even the best generative AI models today, GPT-4 isn't perfect. It “hallucinates” facts and makes reasoning errors, sometimes with confidence. And it doesn't learn from its experience, failing at hard problems such as introducing security vulnerabilities into code it generates.

In the future, OpenAI says that it'll allow developers to fine-tune GPT-4 and GPT-3.5 Turbo, one of its other recent but less capable text-generating models (and one of the original models powering ChatGPT), with their own data, as has long been possible with several of OpenAI's other text-generating models. That capability should arrive later this year, according to OpenAI.

Since the reveal of GPT-4 in March, the generative AI competition has grown fiercer. Recently, Anthropic expanded the context window for Claude -- its flagship text-generating AI model, still in preview -- from 9,000 tokens to 100,000 tokens. (Context window refers to the text the model considers before generating additional text, while tokens represent raw text -- e.g. the word "fantastic" would be split into the tokens "fan," "tas" and "tic.")

GPT-4 held the previous crown in terms of context window, weighing in at 32,000 tokens on the high end. Generally speaking, models with small context windows tend to "forget" the content of even very recent conversations, leading them to veer off topic.

In a related announcement today, OpenAI said that it's making its DALL-E 2 and Whisper APIs generally available -- DALL-E 2 being OpenAI's image-generating model and "Whisper" referring to the company's speech-to-text model. The company also said that it plans to deprecate old models available through its API to "optimize [its] compute capacity." (Over the past few months, thanks in large part to the exploding popularity of ChatGPT, OpenAI has struggled to keep up with demand for its generative models.)

Starting January 4, 2024, certain older OpenAI models -- specifically GPT-3 and its derivatives -- will no longer be available, and will be replaced with new "base GPT-3" models that one would presume are more compute efficient. Developers using the old models will have to manually upgrade their integrations by January 4, and those who wish to continue using fine-tuned old models beyond January 4 will need to fine-tune replacements atop the new base GPT-3 models.

"We will be providing support to users who previously fine-tuned models to make this transition as smooth as possible," OpenAI wrote. "In the coming weeks, we will reach out to developers who have recently used these older models, and will provide more information once the new completion models are ready for early testing."

(th)

#227 2023-07-07 19:51:48

tahanson43206

A test of the revised data input program was encouraging but not perfect today.  It is possible it was working correctly, and my efforts to increase runtime documentation by setting a switch on the MainForm may have caused a misfeed.

I'll study the logs and try again tomorrow.

(th)

#228 2023-07-10 13:18:23

tahanson43206

Today's test of automated course material delivery to ChatGPT (3.5) seemed to go well....

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7zif4azj … n2j63&dl=0

I'll have to study the run log to try to determine if the program was actually working, or if the success was just due to dumb luck.

(th)

#229 2023-08-05 07:12:09

tahanson43206

It's been a while since my last session with ChatGPT on the Chromebook.

Today I got Oops! An error occurred!

(th)

#230 2023-08-05 07:13:26

tahanson43206

I cleared the cache and that made no difference.

I changed to a different login on the Chromebook and ** that ** made no difference.

(th)

#231 2023-08-05 07:14:51

tahanson43206

According to a writer found by Google, this error is not unusual with ChatGPT, and indeed, it appears to occur with other applications as well.

(th)

#232 2023-08-05 17:42:20

tahanson43206

ChatGPT was alive and well later in the day.  I decided to toss a programming question to ChatGPT 4 ... The language of choice is Python.

Here is a link to a very long transcript.  If you follow it all the way to the end, you'll have a program that will generate an orbit for a satellite of Earth.

You can adjust the parameters for velocity, to change the orbit.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nu9yoms6 … e5c4s&dl=0

I'd definitely be interested if we have anyone who follows up on this.

Update the next day ... In reviewing the transcript above, I note that ChatGPT often omits code that has not changed from the code it sends back.  I used Visual Studio Code to insert the new code into the working copy of the program.  Thus, the transcript does not contain a complete copy of the final version of the working program.  It ** does ** contain complete copies of several of the intermediate stages.

For completeness, I will post the complete program later today.

The purpose of this study is to attempt to find an optimum configuration of a ballistic launcher to minimize the difference in vectors at the point of interaction of an object in circular orbit and an object launched from the surface of the Earth on a ballistic path.  My hypothesis is that the force of gravity will act to bend the path of the ballistic object so that it approaches the velocity of the orbiting object. 

the "traditional" solution to the problem of matching orbit with a satellite in circular orbit is to provide horizontal impulse in addition to the vertical impulse needed to get the payload to the altitude of the orbiting object.

The investigation I am attempting to carry out will (hopefully) find an optimum angle of launch of a ballistic object so that as gravity bends it's path, it will intersect the path of the orbiting object at a point such that the relative velocities are minimal.  Thus, the horizontal impulse will be less than would be required in the traditional approach.  Calculus would be able to solve this problem handily, but calculus is not available to me as a tool.

Update: Here is a link to orbit7.py, which is the working version in need of improvement

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hq1i22xl … xmzh6&dl=0

The command to execute this program is: python3 orbit7.py

If your system does not already have python3 installed, you'll need it.
In addition, this program needs the pygame library so install that.

When the program starts, it drops the satellite directly into the Earth.  That is because X is set to 2 and Y is set to zero.

To rerun the program with current values, press Enter key.

To adjust the values, press space bar.

Prompts will appear in your command window (or terminal window if Linux)
Click on the window to move focus there.
Enter 2 for x and press return
Enter .7 for y and press return

Return to the orbit7 program and you will see the satellite in orbit around "Earth"

This particular version of the program is unfinished, so if you hit keys in a certain order you'll get an error message.

(th)

#233 2023-08-08 06:38:42

tahanson43206

Yesterday I spent several hours with ChatGPT 4 ... we continued working on an orbit simulator using Python and specifically Python3.

The result is inconclusive.

We started the day with the program available at the link in Post #232 (orbit7.py)

That program works, but input is supplied by entering values in the terminal window instead of in the game window.

The change required to make the transition from terminal input to game form input is significant, in that a GUI library must be installed and integrated with the existing program.

We appear to have made progress, but I noticed that ChatGPT-4 was trying to improve the program as we went along, so the functionality of orbit7 got lost, while the bells and whistles of the GUI interface were added. 

At the end, ChatGPT recommended and I agree, that the best bet is to start over with working orbit7, and add GUI components one at a time until we find one that causes the existing event handling of orbit7 to stop working.

ChatGPT's hypothesis is that the GUI library event handling may be interfering with the pygame library event handling.

We ran some debugging tests, and confirmed that space bar, enter key and mouse clicks are all being detected by the event manager, but the processing of the events is not proceeding normally.

One lesson that comes through loud and clear is the importance of text alignment inside the program code.  That is a feature of Python that differs from other languages.  Visual Studio Code is able to show out of alignment conditions to an extent, so that is helpful, but the programmer must still know how to align the code sections so that control flow occurs as desired.  For example, if an "if" statement begins on column 20, and an elseif statement is supposed to start on column 20, Visual Studio Code cannot necessarily tell if the elseif is out of alignment if it is on column 24, and in the range of another if statement.

Another enhancement that ChatGPT-4 made as we went along was coding of constants.  In the orbit7 program, colors are defined as simple math expressions, such as (0,0,0) representing BLACK.  In orbit9, I noticed that ChatGPT was coding colors with explicit declarations such as BLUE = (0,0,255).

In addition, orbit7 has temporary values for the masses of the Earth and the Satellite, but by orbit9 those had been corrected to the actual mass of the Earth, and the Moon had been selected as the satellite.  While these changes are reasonable, the selection of the Moon as the satellite departs from my intent, which is to work with a satellite of a few tons.

The ultimate goal of this initiative is to simulate the intersection of two ellipses ...

An orbital refueling station would reside in a nearly circular orbit.

A ballistic launched payload would travel along a stretched ellipse with high eccentricity.

The intent of the exercise is to find the one and only solution that puts the payload in the vicinity of the refueling station at the minimum cost of energy to achieve vector equivalence.

The traditional approach is to include a solid rocket motor in the payload package, and to fire that motor as the payload reaches the apogee of it's ballistic path, so that the payload accelerates in the horizontal direction to match the orbital velocity of the refueling station.

My hypothesis is that by firing the payload with greater velocity, and allowing it to travel beyond the orbit of the refueling station, the velocity change required for orbit matching will be less if the payload intersects the refueling station path at the back side of the Earth from the launch point.

For those who are skilled in calculus, this would be recognized as a trivial exercise, but since I have forgotten everything I learned about calculus, it is not available to me as a tool.   I retain an understanding of the power of calculus for solving problems like this one.

Today, my tentative plan is to move the entire project to a computer with two monitors, so I can compare the orbit7 code to the orbit9 code, and make tiny changes to orbit7 until it breaks, and the cause of loss of event handling becomes clear.

(th)

#234 2023-08-08 18:39:17

tahanson43206

While waiting for an opportunity to move ahead with the orbit Python program, I decided to report on arrival of three slim books about ChatGPT.

The authors freely admit they enlisted the help of ChatGPT to compose the text in the three books.

I don't  begrudge the authors any income they may earn by enlisting ChatGPT to put related information on the market sooner rather than later.

The first that arrived was "80 Ways to Use ChatGPT in the Classroom"

This is by an educator, or at least he has Ed.D after his name.

I'm interested in this gent's ideas (blended with input from ChatGPT) because I am hoping to enlist ChatGPT to help with outreach to thousands of young people who might be willing to tackle the mental challenge of the material prepared by GW Johnson.

Thanks to the generous support of the Mars Society, NewMars is able to provide access to the course material via web links to Dropbox.com and Imgur.com.

I am hoping that there might be a way to enlist ChatGPT as a learning companion.  I gave up on the idea that ChatGPT might be able to serve as a teaching assistant, but Stan Skrabut, Ed.D seems to think it may be possible.

Copyright is 2023 ISBN (paperback) is 979-8-9855537-4-1

There are 127 pages in this slim package.

I ordered the next two books because I am doubtful of the value of the official OpenAI web site.  It may be valuable to a great many people, but my first brush with them was so discouraging I never went back.  My hope is that at least ** one ** of the next two books may contain the magic spell that clears away the cobwebs and provides a step-by-step procedure to set up a web site assisted by ChatGPT to "serve" Dr. Johnson's course with more of a positive spirit than might be available if the student is limited to self-discovery.  For the small part of the human race who thrive on self-directed learning, it seems to me that GW Johnson's material is written about as well as it could be. 

However, if Elon Musk is going to be able to ship a million people to Mars, he is going to need the support of thousands of well qualified space ship navigators (for service on the ground) and a small number of actual pilots for manned missions.

I am persuaded that Dr. Johnson's course provides an essential foundation of learning that can be extended all the way to knowing what star to select for a burn, and how long and strong to make that burn, to put the space craft in the right path.

The first book is: "Linking ChatGPT to Your Website"

ISBN: 9 798 374288957

The credit page shows: By KH Programming Contributed by ChatGPT

Copyright is 2023
There are 93 numbered pages

The last gamble on my part was for: "Linking ChatGPT To a Website"

This book is even slimmer ... it is barely above "pamphlet" size.... There are 44 pages.

The author credit is: By PJ Skipper Contributed by ChatGPT.

Copyright is 2023 as well. 

Both the technical books are printed in Orlando, Florida. Both were printed August 4, 2023, and both arrived together on August 8. 

In contrast, Dr. Skrabut's book was printed in Monee, Illinois, on 30 July 2023.

(th)

SearchTerm:LibraryChatGPT
SearchTerm:ChatGPTLibrary

#235 2023-08-13 10:10:20

tahanson43206

This post offers a link to a conversation with ChatGPT about guidance for a young person who might be considering a career as a CEO.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4b24emcx … m0bia&dl=0

I am hoping an opportunity to try out some of these ideas will become available this evening.

(th)

#236 2023-08-16 18:52:47

tahanson43206

Just for fun, I'll attempt a full transcript ... this session was about Blender.

User
tahanson43206
GPT-4

User
Hello Again on Wednesday 2023/08/16 at 20:35 local time - can you design with Blender?
ChatGPT
Hello! As of my last update in September 2021, I don't have the capability to directly interact with software like Blender, nor can I create or manipulate 3D models directly. However, I can assist in guiding you through various Blender tasks, answer questions about Blender's features and functionality, provide tips, and even offer tutorials.

If you have a specific question or need guidance on a topic related to Blender, please let me know, and I'll do my best to assist you!

User
I understand you cannot work with Blender directly, but it sounds as though you are familiar with the language for creating 3d objects, including generating animation. I am attempting to assess how we might be able to work together to accelerate my productivity. If I were to set up Blender on a companion PC, and run a session with you on this one, do you think we could design something together?
ChatGPT
Absolutely! While I can't directly interact with Blender or see its interface in real-time, I can definitely guide you step by step based on your descriptions and questions. Here's a proposed approach:

Objective Setting: Start by telling me what you want to create or achieve. It could be as simple as modeling a coffee cup or as complex as creating a short animation.

Step-by-Step Guidance: Once we have a clear objective, I can guide you through the process, step by step. For instance, if you want to model a coffee cup:

I'd guide you on starting with a cylinder.
Then, we might discuss how to scale, extrude, or use other modifiers.
Finally, I'd provide guidance on adding materials and rendering.
Troubleshooting: If you run into issues or errors, describe them to me, and I can help troubleshoot or provide alternative methods.

Optimization: If you're looking to streamline or optimize a process, let me know. I can provide shortcuts, best practices, and tips.

Feedback Loop: As you work, provide feedback or ask questions as needed. The more specific and detailed your feedback, the better I can assist. Screenshots or precise descriptions of issues can be particularly helpful.

Animation & Advanced Features: If you want to delve into animation, I can guide you through keyframing, rigging, physics simulations, and other animation tools.

Remember, I can also provide guidance on the Python scripting interface in Blender, which can automate or customize various tasks, if you're comfortable with programming.

In essence, think of me as a real-time guide or manual. I can provide explanations, techniques, and answer questions, while you execute the steps in Blender. With effective communication between us, this method can be a powerful way to accelerate your learning and productivity in Blender.

User
You have been helping me recently with a Python project.  I have not worked with Python before, but with the prospect of your assistance, I launched into a project with you, and we achieve the first mini-milestone in just a couple of hours of my time. My guess is that something similar will happen with Blender.  I've been using Blender for several years, but have only touched the power of the language.  The specific project I'd like to work on is visualization of a space habitat.  The specific idea that associates and I came up with is building spheres inside the torus of the habitat, so that if pressure is lost in one of the spheres, all the other spheres will continue to operate normally.  The width of the torus is 19 meters, and the diameter between the centerline of the torus on one side and the centerline of the torus on the other is 80 meters. Please rephrase the proposal in terms that you like better. 
ChatGPT
Certainly! It's great to hear about your positive experience with Python, and I'm excited to embark on this new project with you involving Blender. Here's a revised proposal based on your project description:

Blender Collaboration Proposal: Visualization of a Space Habitat

Objective:
Create a detailed and accurate 3D visualization of a space habitat, focusing on a unique design feature: individual spherical living spaces located within the habitat's torus. The aim is to effectively represent the safety measure of isolating spheres so that a pressure breach in one sphere doesn't jeopardize the others.

Specifications:

Torus Structure:

Torus Width: 19 meters
Diameter (from one centerline to the opposite centerline): 80 meters
Habitat Spheres:

Multiple individual spheres will be positioned inside the torus.
Each sphere serves as an independent living space or functional area.
A design priority is to visually represent the isolation of these spheres for the viewer to understand the safety advantage.
Approach:

Modeling the Torus: Begin by modeling the torus structure adhering to the specified dimensions.

Integrating the Spheres: Model individual spheres and place them within the torus. Focus on spacing, positioning, and ensuring they fit harmoniously within the torus structure.

Details & Textures: Incorporate details such as entry/exit points, viewports, or any structural supports. Apply appropriate materials and textures to give a realistic representation of the habitat's construction materials.

Safety Visualization: Emphasize the isolated nature of the spheres. This could involve creating a hypothetical scenario where one sphere has a breach and visually showing how others remain unaffected.

Rendering & Animation (Optional): Produce high-quality renders of the model. Consider creating an animation that tours the habitat, highlighting its key features and the safety measures in place.

Feedback & Iteration: Continuously seek feedback on the model and its representation. Make necessary adjustments to ensure the vision is accurately and effectively depicted.

Collaboration Process:

Use ChatGPT as a real-time guide, answering questions, providing modeling techniques, and offering visualization suggestions.
As with the Python project, maintain an open feedback loop for troubleshooting, optimization, and feature suggestions.
Explore the possibility of using Python scripting within Blender to automate or enhance certain visualization aspects.
I hope this refined proposal captures the essence of your project. Feel free to adjust or provide further input as you see fit. Once we have a solid plan, we can dive right in!

User
I'm encouraged we might be able to pull this off!  I'll print our transcript and show it to associates.  In the mean time, best wishes for success with all the thousands of fans you serve, world wide!
ChatGPT
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm excited about the potential of our collaboration on the space habitat visualization. Whenever you're ready to proceed or have any other questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Best wishes to you and your associates as well! Enjoy your Blender journey and take care!

Regenerate
Send a message

ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT August 3 Version

(th)

#237 2023-08-28 06:19:17

tahanson43206

Sal Khan is the founder and guiding director of Khan Academy.  He was interviewed recently by Guy Raz, for his program "How I Built This" on NPR.

The broadcast is available for free from ...
https://wondery.com/shows/how-i-built-t … n-academy/

Mr. Khan was a member of a select group invited to preview ChatGPT 4 before it's release. He describes a future in which every child will have a personal AI tutor.  Studies (apparently) indicate that children with personal (human) tutors progress much faster than in groups as is done in the American system of public education, and probably elsewhere.

Per Google:

Showing results for national public radio sunday broadcast how i built it interview with khan of khan academy

Khan Academy: Sal Khan - NPR
www.npr.org › 2020/09/18 › khan-academy-sal-khan
Sep 21, 2020 · How I Built This with Guy Raz. In 2009, Sal Khan walked away from a high-paying job to start a business that had no way of making money.

When AI is your personal tutor with Sal Khan of Khan Academy
wondery.com › shows › how-i-built-this › episode › 10386-when-ai-is-you...
Jul 27, 2023 · When AI is your personal tutor with Sal Khan of Khan Academy. How I Built This Podcast with Guy Raz • Episode 537.

How I Built This with Guy Raz - Stitcher
www.stitcher.com › show › how-i-built-this
Guy Raz interviews the world's best-known entrepreneurs to learn how they built their iconic brands. In each episode, founders reveal deep, intimate moments ...
Sal Khan of Khan Academy and Anya Kamenetz of NPR ... - YouTube
www.youtube.com › watch

Oct 1, 2020 · Sal Khan, Founder & CEO of Khan Academy and Anya Kamenetz, Education Correspondent ...
Duration: 15:36
Posted: Oct 1, 2020

Khan Academy - How I Built This with Guy Raz (2016) - IMDb
www.imdb.com › title
Khan Academy: Sal Khan: With Guy Raz.

People also ask
Who is the Khan Academy math guy?
Who is the speaker in the Khan Academy videos?
Does Khan Academy have a podcast?
How do I start Khan Academy?

(th)

#238 2023-09-07 06:56:21

Mars_B4_Moon

We asked ChatGPT what life on Mars will look like and the answer will surprise you

https://www.ohmymag.co.uk/explore/earth … 19016.html

As the AI reminds us:

The first Martian colonists will have to live in habitats specially designed to protect them from the planet's hostile conditions, including a lack of breathable air, extreme temperatures and dust storms. These habitats could be underground or equipped with advanced technologies to maintain stable living conditions.

As in The Expanse and Total Recall, you won't be able to walk freely on the surface, like you would in a city park on Earth, in a T-shirt and Bermuda shorts... ChatGPT adds:

The inhabitants of Mars will have to wear spacesuits at all times to protect themselves from solar radiation, cold temperatures and the absence of oxygen in the atmosphere. These suits will be essential for outdoor activities.

Unless we terraform Mars, daily life on our neighbouring planet is likely to prove very uncomfortable. What's more, the bot informs us that :

It is important to note that terraforming Mars remains a theoretical hypothesis and a science fiction idea for the time being. The technical, financial and ethical challenges associated with such an undertaking are enormous, and we do not yet have the technologies needed to begin a project of this scale

#239 2023-09-18 11:28:06

tahanson43206

The long chat from which this excerpt is a part was inspired by kbd512's interesting analysis of the need for Lithium if an attempt were made to convert all existing diesel and gasoline trucks on Earth to Tesla trucks.  I asked ChatGPT to review the process by which various stellar processes make Lithium, and after we ran out of ideas in that space, I decided to follow the sea water track, to see where that might lead. While the quantity of Lithium in sea water is low, it is NOT zero.  I asked ChatGPT to write a work plan for investigation of the economic payback potential to use nuclear fission to separate atoms and molecules found in sea water.  The economic value of materials found in sea water is low if the molecules are simply separated, but the value of the atoms increases as energy is added to separate the atoms from other atoms to which they are bound in molecules. The primary current use for nuclear fission power in the commercial space is to make electricity. The primary use (that I am aware of) for governmental use of nuclear power is for transportation (primarily submarines but now a few carriers). My hypothesis is that nuclear power currently sold on the open market for electricity is not realizing it's full economic potential. The work plan I will attempt to paste below is designed to yield an economic estimate, to show if the concept makes sense:

investigator might go about conducting the necessary research and analysis:
Project: Assessing the Feasibility of Using Nuclear Power to Extract Valuable Elements from Seawater
Phase 1: Literature Review and Preliminary Research
Phase 2: Market Research
Phase 3: Economic Analysis
Phase 4: Feasibility Report & Next Steps
Next Steps
Further Research and Development
Pilot Projects
Seeking investment and/or grants

By systematically working through these phases, you could assemble a comprehensive understanding of the project's viability. It will likely require a multi-disciplinary team, including experts in nuclear engineering, chemical engineering, economics, and environmental science, among others.

The Apache Internal Server Error showed up when I tried to paste the full plan. I'll put it on Dropbox later today.

Here is a PDF version of the work plan:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/nd6rspj8 … 2g4pu&dl=0

(th)

#240 2023-09-23 07:28:59

tahanson43206

This post is intended to attempt to find out if there are traits of a successful General Manager of a Large Project...

GPT-4

User
Hello Again! I have news of more reports of your successes, and a question about the skill set of a particular leadership role.

ChatGPT
Hello! It's great to hear from you again, and I'm glad to hear that you've found my assistance helpful! I’m here to assist with any inquiries you have. What would you like to know about the skill set required for a particular leadership role?

User
I'll open with a report that you have been enlisted to help students to learn languages, and the feedback is glowing.  I am already familiar with your near infinite patience and generosity, so I am not surprised you are successful in helping a student to learn new languages! So! here is the question: Please summarize the personality traits of a successful General Manager, in the context of a very large highly technical project with many unknowns, where the General Manager is completely ignorant of the details of many of the specializations that are needed for the project. In this context, the GM has a firm vision of the goal to be reached, but very little idea of how to achieve the goal. Thus, the GM is dependent upon enlisting talented and experienced specialists and helping those individuals to concentrate on achieving the GM's goals. It should be noted that such talented individuals are highly likely to attempt to introduce ideas that are out of scope for the project at hand.  A successful GM must (somehow) help the specialists to focus on the GM's goals. At the same time, the GM must be able to modify conceptions of how things should be done, when the opinion of the specialists is correct, and the GM's preconception is wrong.

ChatGPT
Thank you for sharing the report! It’s rewarding to know that I’ve been able to aid students in their language learning journeys.

As for your question about the personality traits of a successful General Manager (GM) in a large and technically sophisticated project with many unknowns, it is indeed a challenging role, requiring a balance between vision and adaptability, leadership and learning. Below are the crucial personality traits and skills required for such a role:

1. Visionary Leadership:
Clear Vision & Goals:
Able to articulate a clear and compelling vision and set attainable goals for the team to follow, even when not having a full understanding of the technical details.
Inspirational:
Can inspire and motivate team members by creating a positive and inclusive environment and aligning team efforts with organizational goals.
2. Effective Communication:
Active Listener:
Must listen intently to specialists and value their input, being open to feedback and new ideas.
Clear Communicator:
Able to clearly convey expectations, timelines, and objectives to individuals with varying expertise.
3. Strategic Decision-Making:
Balanced Judgment:
Weighing advice and data from different sources to make informed and timely decisions, and being willing to modify plans when proven incorrect.
Risk Management:
Assessing and managing risks effectively, taking necessary precautions and making strategic adjustments when required.
4. People Management:
Empathetic:
Demonstrating understanding and concern for team members' needs and feelings.
Conflict Resolution:
Able to mediate disputes and facilitate resolutions, maintaining a harmonious working environment.
Empowering:
Enabling team members to take initiative, encouraging innovation, and providing opportunities for growth.
Talent Identification & Development:
Can identify and enlist skilled specialists and help them grow and contribute effectively to the project.
5. Adaptability & Learning Agility:
Flexible:
Adapting plans and strategies as needed, being responsive to changing circumstances and new information.
Continuous Learner:
Eager to acquire new knowledge and skills, willing to learn from others and adjust preconceptions when necessary.
6. Focus & Discipline:
Prioritization:
Managing competing demands and ensuring that resources are allocated effectively towards the attainment of the goals.
Scope Management:
Maintaining focus on the project’s objectives and preventing scope creep by respectfully pushing back on ideas that don’t align with the project’s goals.
7. Customer & Result-Oriented:
Customer Focus:
Attentive to the needs and expectations of the end-users or clients, aiming to deliver value and exceed expectations.
Result-Driven:
Persistent in pursuing the project’s objectives and committed to achieving high-quality outcomes.
Conclusion:
The GM in such a scenario must create an environment where skilled specialists feel valued and are willing to align their efforts with the project’s goals. They should maintain a balance between holding the vision and being open to learning and adjusting their preconceptions based on specialists’ insights. The overall aim is to harmonize diverse talents and ideas to navigate complexities and achieve the intended goals successfully.

User
Thank you ** very ** much!  I will publish your recommendation in a forum, in hopes that it might help to resolve a clash we've experienced recently.
ChatGPT
You're very welcome! I hope that the information can provide some clarity and assist in resolving any conflicts that have arisen. Facilitating understanding and fostering cooperative environments, especially in settings with diverse expertise and perspectives, is crucial. If there is more specific advice or further detail you need, feel free to ask. Good luck with your publication and discussions in the forum!

ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT August 3 Version

(th)

#241 2023-09-30 07:29:19

tahanson43206

The transcript at the link below covers discussion of propulsion options for RobertDyck's Large Ship (5000 Metric tons)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CfS … sp=sharing

(th)

#242 2023-10-01 12:02:10

tahanson43206

The transcript at the link below covers key facts about the Space Shuttle Main Engine:

This first link is to the ODT formatted version.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jxhmixm7 … o6tr1&dl=0

I'll upload the pdf version shortly.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/b9bxlu9f … choma&dl=0

(th)

#243 2023-10-02 13:57:30

tahanson43206

The transcript at the link below covers calculating ISP for a helicopter (difficult) and flows into considering the challenge of finding a continuous throw system as requested by GW Johnson.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c4B … sp=sharing

The session concludes with suggestions for study of a number of existing continuous water throw systems developed for a wide variety of applications on Earth.

(th)

#244 2023-10-02 21:41:34

tahanson43206

The transcript below covers Newton's Third Law as applied to a garden hose...

to be added ... the file is on a different computer.

(th)

#245 2023-10-03 12:24:17

tahanson43206

The transcript below shows an example of ChatGPT(4) going astray due to a reference that included a chemical term that was inappropriate to the request.

it took a bit of digging to find the problem, but ChatGPT(4) recovered quickly and gave what I think is the correct result.

If you read the transcript, you will see conclusions that are clearly wrong. It is up to the human to identify those mistakes, and then to courteously work with this fragile entity to find the correct conclusion.  I have found that praise and encouragement and patience are valuable to help ChatGPT to do it's best work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wbn … sp=sharing

(th)

#246 2023-10-04 08:15:29

tahanson43206

The transcript at the link below is a demonstration of the ability of ChatGPT to accept a challenging scenario and produce a plausible looking letter to potential investors:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5J … sp=sharing

As you will see if you read the transcript, I tried to make clear how difficult the challenge would be, but Calliban's realistic assessment of the difficulty is helpful. See the new Centrifugal Pump topic for Calliban's assessment of the challenge.

(th)

#247 2023-10-05 19:43:04

tahanson43206

The transcript at the link below demonstrates ChatGPT's ability to conceptualize a complex 3 dimensional shape. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ThW … sp=sharing

The context is an inquiry into a possible shape for a centrifugal pump for space propulsion.

(th)

#248 2023-10-07 07:47:01

tahanson43206

The transcript at the link below covers discussion of a stretched centrifugal pump, Blender and OpenFOAM.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hIs … sp=sharing

I had not realized OpenFOAM has progressed so far since I first investigated it some years ago.

I'll open a topic for OpenFOAM

(th)

#249 2023-10-08 11:39:37

tahanson43206

The transcript at the link below covers discussion of erosion inside the walls of pipes inside a centrifugal pump.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G7g … sp=sharing

The loss of energy due to interactions between water molecules travelling this pathway had not occurred to me, but it makes perfect sense so that loss would detract from the kinetic energy to be delivered by the system, just as occurs in the Space Shuttle main engine, or any comparable chemical rocket engine.

(th)

#250 2023-10-09 06:31:08

Mars_B4_Moon

a post on social media

quoting

'I asked Microsoft's Bing Chat, which uses OpenAI's GPT-4 language model, to write a short essay from the perspective of an unbiased historian about the history of the Israel and Palestine conflict.'

https://twitter.com/KanekoaTheGreat/sta … 4309547271

What do you think about the results?

A Short Essay on the History of the Israel and Palestine Conflict

The Israel and Palestine conflict is a long and complicated conflict that started in the late 19th and early 20th centuries when Jews and Arabs in the Middle East wanted their own states. The conflict has many causes and factors, such as history, religion, politics, and society, as well as regional and international involvement.

The British Mandate of Palestine (1920-1948)

The first major turning point was when Britain got control of Palestine from the Ottoman Empire after World War I. Britain promised to make a Jewish homeland in Palestine but also to protect the Arabs who lived there. This caused conflicts and violence between the Jews and the Arabs.

The United Nations Partition Plan (1947) and the First Arab-Israeli War (1948-1949)

The second major turning point was when the United Nations decided to split Palestine into two states: one Jewish and one Arab, with Jerusalem as an international city. The Jews agreed, but the Arabs did not. This led to a civil war in Palestine, and then a regional war in 1948, when Israel declared its independence and was attacked by Arab countries. 

The war ended in 1949 with a ceasefire that gave Israel most of the land that the UN plan gave it, plus some more land that it took during the war. The rest of the land was taken by Egypt (Gaza) and Jordan (West Bank), and Jerusalem was divided between Israel and Jordan. The war also made many Palestinians leave their homes and become refugees, while many Jews came to Israel from other countries.

The Six-Day War (1967) and the Israeli Occupation

The third major turning point was when Israel fought another war with its Arab neighbors in 1967 after they had some disputes and threats. The war lasted for six days and ended with a big Israeli victory that gave it more land: Sinai, Gaza, West Bank, East Jerusalem, and Golan Heights. The war also started Israel’s occupation of these lands, which has been a problem ever since.

The Oslo Accords (1993-1995) and the Palestinian Authority

The fourth major turning point was when Israel and the PLO, which represented the Palestinians, signed some agreements in 1993-1995. The agreements tried to make peace by recognizing each other, exchanging land for peace, and making a two-state solution. The agreements also made the PA, which had some control over parts of Gaza and the West Bank.

However, the agreements did not work well because they did not solve all the issues: borders, security, settlements, refugees, Jerusalem, and water. The agreements also had enemies on both sides: some Israelis did not want to give up any land to the Palestinians, while some Palestinians did not want to accept Israel. The agreements also caused more violence from groups like Hamas and Islamic Jihad, who attacked Israelis with bombs and rockets.

The Second Intifada (2000-2005) and the Separation Barrier

The fifth major turning point was when Palestinians rose up against Israel in 2000-2005 because they were angry and oppressed by Israel. The uprising started after an Israeli leader visited a holy place in Jerusalem that is important to both Jews and Muslims. The uprising killed and hurt many people on both sides and damaged many things.

The uprising also made Israelis and Palestinians stop talking and trusting each other and change their actions and plans. Israel reacted to the uprising by using force against Palestinian fighters and buildings, building a wall along its border with the West Bank, growing its settlements in occupied lands, blocking and checking Palestinian movements, and killing Palestinian leaders. The Palestinians reacted to the uprising by making armed groups and weapons, firing rockets and missiles at Israeli places, asking for help and respect from other countries, and suing Israel at international courts.

The Gaza War (2008-2009) and the Hamas-Fatah Split

The sixth major turning point was when Israel fought another war with Hamas in 2008-2009 after Hamas took over Gaza from Fatah in 2007. Fatah is another Palestinian party that leads the PA and rules the West Bank. The war happened after a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas broke down. The war stopped with a ceasefire by both sides, but not before killing and hurting many people, mostly in Gaza, which was hit hard by Israel’s air and ground attack.

The war also made Israelis and Palestinians more divided and distrustful of each other, as well as Fatah and Hamas. The war also showed the weakness and failure of the international community, which could not stop or end the war, or make a lasting peace deal.

The Arab Spring (2011-2012) and the Regional Turmoil

The seventh major turning point was when people in many Arab countries rose up and changed their governments in 2011-2012 because they wanted more freedom and justice. The Arab Spring affected the Israel and Palestine conflict because it changed the region and the relations. The Arab Spring removed some of Israel’s friends, like Egypt’s Mubarak and Tunisia’s Ben Ali, and challenged others, like Jordan’s Abdullah and Saudi Arabia’s Salman. The Arab Spring also helped some of Israel’s foes, like Iran and its allies Hezbollah and Hamas, and made new enemies, like the Islamic State and other radical groups. The Arab Spring also moved the Palestinians to ask for more democracy and dignity from their own leaders, and from Israel.

The US-brokered Peace Talks (2013-2014) and the Diplomatic Deadlock

The eighth major turning point was when the US tried to make peace talks between Israel and Palestine in 2013-2014, by sending its top diplomat John Kerry to meet with Israel’s Netanyahu and Palestine’s Abbas. The talks wanted to restart the peace process and to make a full agreement on all the issues in nine months. However, the talks fell apart in April 2014, after Israel did not free some Palestinian prisoners as promised, and after Palestine joined some international treaties and groups as a protest. The talks also had many problems and difficulties, such as the lack of trust and goodwill between the sides, the split within each side, the resistance from extremists and spoilers, the meddling from regional actors, and the lack of support from the public.

The Gaza War (2014) and the International Outcry

The ninth major turning point was when Israel fought another war with Hamas in 2014, after some events that made them more angry and violent with each other. The events were the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli teens by Hamas members in the West Bank, the revenge killing of a Palestinian teen by Israeli radicals in Jerusalem, and the exchange of rockets and airstrikes between Gaza and Israel. The war lasted for 50 days and ended with a ceasefire made by Egypt, but not before killing more than 2,000 people, mostly Palestinians, and destroying many things in Gaza.

The war also made many people around the world feel sorry for the Palestinians and angry at Israel’s actions and policies. The war also showed the weakness and uselessness of the PA, which had no power or role over Gaza or the peace process. The war also pointed out the part and duty of Egypt, Qatar, Turkey, and other regional players, who tried to help or interfere in the conflict.

The US Recognition of Jerusalem (2017) and the Diplomatic Isolation

The tenth major turning point was when the US said that Jerusalem was Israel’s capital in 2017 and that it would move its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. This was said by then-US President Trump, who also said he wanted to make peace in the Middle East. The decision was very bad for most of the world, who thought it was against international law and a challenge to the Palestinians, who want East Jerusalem as their capital. The decision also made protests and fights in Jerusalem, the West Bank, and Gaza, as well as in other Arab and Muslim countries. The decision also hurt the US's role as a peacemaker and friend in the peace process, as it was seen by many Palestinians as unfair and biased towards Israel.

The Abraham Accords (2020-2021) and the Normalization of Relations

The eleventh major turning point was when Israel made peace deals with four Arab countries in 2020-2021: the UAE, Bahrain, Sudan, and Morocco. The deals were made by then-US President Trump, who said they were big wins for peace and stability in the Middle East. The deals were also good for Israel, which saw them as a chance to improve its safety and business ties with its old enemies, as well as to fight Iran’s power in the region. The deals were also liked by some Palestinians, who saw them as a way to restart the peace process and to push Israel to give up some things. However, the deals were also hated by many Palestinians, who saw them as a betrayal of their rights and a break of the Arab Peace Initiative of 2002, which said that the Arab states would make peace with Israel only after it left the occupied lands and agreed to a two-state solution. The deals also made questions and worries about what would happen to the Palestinian cause and how much the Arab world would help it.

The Gaza War (2021) and the International Solidarity

The twelfth major turning point was when Israel fought another war with Hamas in 2021, after some events that made them more tense and violent with each other. The events were the Israeli police attack on the Al-Aqsa Mosque area in Jerusalem, which is very holy for Muslims, during the holy month of Ramadan, the Israeli court order to kick out some Palestinian families from their houses in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in East Jerusalem, and the exchange of rockets and airstrikes between Gaza and Israel. The war lasted for 11 days and ended with a ceasefire helped by Egypt, but not before killing more than 250 people, mostly Palestinians, and ruining many things in Gaza.

The war also made many people around the world feel sorry for the Palestinians and angry at Israel’s actions and policies. The war also showed the weakness and division of the international community, which could not stop or end the war, or make a lasting peace deal.

Conclusion

The history of the Israel and Palestine conflict is a history of fight and pain, but also of hope and strength. The conflict has many reasons and factors, both inside and outside, both good and bad. The conflict has seen many turning points and changes, some of which brought them closer to a peaceful solution, while others pushed them further away from it. The conflict has also touched the lives and futures of millions of people, both Israelis and Palestinians, as well as their neighbors and friends.

The conflict is not over yet, but it is not sure either. The conflict can be solved, but it needs bravery and wisdom from both sides, as well as help and pressure from the international community. The conflict can be changed, but it asks for justice and dignity for both peoples, as well as respect and recognition for their rights and hopes. The conflict can be ended, but it depends on the will and vision of the leaders and the people, who have the power and the duty to shape their future.

Last edited by Mars_B4_Moon (2023-10-09 07:07:41)

Board footer