New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2023-06-23 07:27:49

RGClark
Website

Re: A fast route to a European low cost, reusable, manned launch vehicle.

kbd512 wrote:

RGClark,

You keep repeating this line about the rocket equation, as if it means something in this particular context, but it doesn't.  The empty weight of the P120C motor casing is 11t, and it's staged-off as soon as it burns out.  The rocket isn't lugging the empty motor casings into orbit.  The pair of P120Cs provide almost all of the thrust at liftoff.  The weight of 4 Vulcain 2.1 engines alone is 6.6t.  The core stage probably weighs more than an empty P120C casing.  Ariane-5's 5.4m diameter empty core stage weight is 12,600kg.  The new Vulcain 2.1 engine is about 350kg heavier than Vulcain 2, so a reasonable guess would be that Ariane-6's core stage is even heavier since it's using a heavier engine and the rocket is also producing more thrust and therefore has greater loads to resist.  Anyway, Ariane-6's core stage carries 140t of propellant and each P120C casing carries 143.6t of propellant.  That means the core stage of the Ariane-6 weighs 11.3t, excluding the engine, so slightly more than each P120C motor casing.  Adding 3 more Vulcain 2.1 engines won't make the core stage any lighter, either.  Your plan is to cut 287.2t of propellant and then act as if that will have no effect on Delta-V or the rest of the rocket equation, because the motor casings are "heavy" (but somehow lighter than the core stage without any Vulcain engines attached).  Good luck with that.

Sorry, we’re not going to agree on this. The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation is the most important equation in orbital rockets. It can legitimately be said it is the equation that made orbital rockets possible.

Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolko … t_equation

Robert Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#52 2023-06-23 07:47:44

kbd512
Administrator

RGClark,

Math doesn't require agreement.  Show your numbers.  I've shown mine.  It's time for you to do the same.

Edit:
I recently found the sea level thrust and specific impulse figures for Vulcain 2, so 935kN / 95,807kgf and 318s, respectively.  The documentation for Vulcain 2.1 asserts that the new engine produces identical thrust and specific impulse to Vulcain 2, but "with improved reliability".  I'm now using the average of the sea level and vacuum specific impulse and thrust figures.

Last edited by kbd512 (2023-06-23 08:54:06)

#53 2023-06-23 12:09:26

tahanson43206

For RGClark re topic ....

I have the distinct advantage of not having a dog in this fight!

On behalf of forum readers (whether they are members or not) please take up kbd512 on his offer to look at numbers for your proposal.

It is not clear to me that you actually have a background that would help you to convert what I'm sure you know into a flow that would be meaningful to readers of various backgrounds.

Your invocation of the Rocket Equation over and over again tells me you are (quite possibly) struggling with the challenge of expressing your ideas in a way that will stand up to scrutiny.

Instead of looking at this as a competitive situation, I'd like to see you succeed in working through the idea you've chosen to endorse.  The idea itself will either succeed or it will fail.  You are in a position to serve as an advocate for the idea, and if the process leads to understanding then you will have succeeded, even if the idea itself fails.

GW Johnson has shown how to use Imgur.com to show equations, and Dropbox to deliver text complete with tables and details not suitable for this forum.

You are welcome to ask for guidance on how to use these tools.

I ** just ** learned that LibreOffice offers a Math package for the presentation of equations in a professional manner.

You can (if you are so inclined) use that tool to prepare pdf documents to serve from Dropbox.

I ** just ** learned (as well) that wolfram.com has an equation evaluation service that you can use to verify your equations are valid.

Please consider giving your idea (about all liquid version of the EU rocket) a chance to sink or swim in the environment this forum provides.

(th)

#54 2023-06-23 13:06:22

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

I like the premise of the idea of having a much lighter / cheaper rocket that is more fuel efficient.  Getting to that end goal will not be as easy as strapping a couple more engines to an Ariane-6 core stage.

The main problems I see are as follows:

1. The pair of solids provide 87.3% of the thrust at liftoff.  Getting rid of them makes the entire rocket 309.2t lighter, but it also reduces total thrust, total impulse, and therefore total acceleration.  Since the rocket is now much lighter, we don't need too many additional liquid engines to bump that thrust-to-weight ratio back up to mimic the A62 configuration, but we're not getting any more propellant to play with unless we make the core stage bigger and heavier.  We've just reduced the amount of total propellant available to the booster stage by just over 2/3rds.  That's not a great starting point.

Using the example of the Delta-IV Medium / Delta-IV Heavy, we hurt payload mass fraction by switching to 3 LH2-fueled booster cores from 1 LH2-fueled core and 4 solid strap-on boosters, even though 3 liquid cores approximately doubled the payload.  Doing that also more than tripled the cost.  Was that a good trade?  ULA retired the vehicle because it wasn't cost-competitive.  It seemed great on paper, except it wasn't.  Would Ariane-6 be different?  Maybe, but this looks like another expensive solution in search of a problem to solve.

2. If we start adding liquid engines, we start adding a lot more thrust to a thrust structure and tank dome structure that wasn't designed to take it.  Could we recover weight from the tank stiffeners / thrust structures used to absorb the thrust loads from the pair of solids?  Possibly.  I certainly hope so.  I think we should be able to, but I can't say for sure.  SpaceX went the other way with this, but they ended up redesigning the entire Falcon Heavy core stage as a result.  It didn't work out the way they wanted it to.  Randomly adding or subtracting engines isn't something most rocket propellant tanks and thrust structures are amenable to.  Their design margins are 5% to 10%, but they'd be 0% if the engineers could figure out how to account for all load factors at all times.

3. We are, in point of fact, completely redesigning this rocket.  That process is not going to be cheap or fast, since ESA and ArianeGroup will be the ones doing it.  It would be foolish to think it won't take years of additional development work and more billions of Euros.  Will the revised rocket then be cost competitive with Falcon 9?  Hell no.  We can't spend billions upon billions and make a competitive product with one that cost $300M to develop, in total, which has a marginal re-flight cost of $20M at most.  That's like suggesting we could make SLS cost-competitive with Starship.  Anyone with "horse sense" knows that's never going to happen.  We still have the wrong design concept.  Reusing the part of the rocket that represents 80% of the total launch cost is a big deal.

I don't see this as any form of competition.  I see this as, if you're dead-set on doing this, then putting some basic numbers to your assertions to know you're in the right ballpark is being minimally realistic about what's theoretically possible.  If I were to assert that a steel airframe airliner could fly as well as a CFRP airframe airliner, then at some point aerospace engineers would demand to see what figures I'm using as the basis for that assertion.  I can't simply say, "look at the lift equation" or "look at the tensile strength equation".  That won't be accepted as evidence that my assertions have a rational basis backed-up by basic math.

I don't doubt for a second that RGClark could do the math, but he won't put numbers to his idea.  I think he won't do it because the result is not as stellar as he originally hoped it would be.  I was excited for about a minute until I went and looked at the stats on Ariane-6 and Delta-IV, because I wanted to see a new-build / best-of-breed pure-LH2 rocket as well.  Maybe Delta-IV was just a bad design or badly dated compared to what modern engines and materials are capable of.

Edit:
I should've said "tank walls", not "tank dome".  The load path for the thrust applied to the bottom of the core stage is through the tank walls.

Last edited by kbd512 (2023-06-23 13:14:49)

#55 2023-06-23 14:50:18

RGClark
Website

kbd512 wrote:

RGClark,

Math doesn't require agreement.  Show your numbers.  I've shown mine.  It's time for you to do the same.

Edit:
I recently found the sea level thrust and specific impulse figures for Vulcain 2, so 935kN / 95,807kgf and 318s, respectively.  The documentation for Vulcain 2.1 asserts that the new engine produces identical thrust and specific impulse to Vulcain 2, but "with improved reliability".  I'm now using the average of the sea level and vacuum specific impulse and thrust figures.

Copied below is the abstract to the blog post:

Towards a revolutionary advance in spaceflight: an all-liquid Ariane 6.
Abstract.

Most orbital rockets have payload fractions in the range of 3% to 4%. The Ariane 6 using 2 and 4 SRB’s, because of the large size of the SRB’s and because solids are so inefficient on both mass ratio and ISP, the two key components of the rocket equation, it will count among the worst rockets in history at a payload fraction of only 2%.

In contrast a two Vulcain Ariane 6 could have a payload fraction of 7% and a three Vulcain Ariane 6 could have a payload fraction of 7.5%. This is well-above what any other rocket has ever achieved in the history of space flight.

So how is an all-liquid Ariane 6 able to accomplish this? First, this version is based on the Ariane 5 core. The mass ratio for the Ariane 5 it turns out is quite extraordinary for a hydrogen+liquid oxygen(called “hydrolox”) stage at 16.3 to 1. This is in the range commonly seen by dense propellants. To use a colorful analogy, it’s like the ArianeSpace engineers in designing the Ariane 5 core found a way to make liquid hydrogen as dense as kerosene!

Obviously, this is not what happened. But they must have found a way to achieve extreme lightweighting of a hydrolox stage. To put this in perspective, the mass ratio of the famous Centaur hydrolox upper stage is at 10 to 1, achieved back in the 1960’s. And the Delta IV hydrolox core is at a quite ordinary 8.7 to 1 mass ratio. So the Ariane 5 core is about twice as good as the Delta IV core on this key mass ratio scale.

Because the Ariane 5 core has the high Isp of a hydrolox stage while achieving (somehow!) the high mass ratio of a dense propellant stage, it calculates out to have the highest delta-v of any rocket stage in the history of spaceflight.

Since delta-v is the single most important parameter for orbital rockets, you can legitimately argue the Ariane 5 core is the greatest rocket stage ever produced in the history of spaceflight.

The high 7.5% payload fraction of the all-liquid Ariane 6 would mean SpaceX would have to be chasing ArianeSpace rather than the other way around.

To put this advance in perspective, it would be like SpaceX using the very same Merlin engines and the very same propellant tanks, and the very same size Falcon 9, suddenly being able to change the Falcon 9 payload from 22 tons to 40 tons.

It will represent a paradigm shift in terms of the payloads that rockets will be expected to deliver to orbit.

Usually, when we think of a radical shift in rocket capability we imagine some great advance in engines such as nuclear, or some great advance in materials to greatly reduce tank weight.

Quite extraordinary is the the fact this radical increase in rocket capability can come from using currently existing engines and tanks.
https://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2023/ … ce-in.html

Here’s a delta-v calculation for the two Vulcain case:

The rocket equation uses the ISP of a rocket stage and uses the propellant mass and dry mass of the stage. For the two stage vehicle the calculation looks like this:

434*9.81Ln(1 + 158/(12 + 13 + 14)) + 465.5*9.81Ln(1 + 11.8/(1.2 + 14)) = 9,500 m/s .

Commonly the delta-v to orbit for a hydrolox rocket is taken as 9,300 m/s to 9,400 m/s. This is somewhat more than a dense propellant stage since dense propellants are more efficient for a first stage.

However, there is a big caveat for this delta-v calculation. For the two Vulcain solution, I lowered the upper stage mass and supposed the Vulcain sea level thrust could be ramped up in the 9% range. This was to insure enough take-off thrust-to-weight ratio without SRB’s. The result does give a TWR greater than 1, but it is still low. A low TWR results in a higher delta-v required to orbit because there are higher gravity losses.

So I used instead the payload estimator on the SilverbirdAstronautics.com page. I’ve found this generally accurate to within plus or minus 10%.

Another solution of the low thrust of the two Vulcains is to use SRB’s but of the usual 1/10th the core size. The high cost of the Ariane 6 SBR’s is coming primarily from their large size. If we used SRB’s at 1/10th the size they would be weigh about 15 tons each. They would still provide sufficient thrust for take-off and we could then also use a larger size upper stage.

The result would be a higher payload to orbit than just using the two Vulcains. Keep in mind the entire difficulty with the Ariane 6 is it’s high cost due entirely to those large SRB’s planned to be used. Using instead SRB’s at the normal 1/10th of core size might add instead of $40 million, only $4 million to the price. This would likely result also in a launcher still cheaper than the Falcon 9.

But note well, the ESA like NASA is a highly political organization. The ESA member states making the SRB’s want the high cost for those SRB’s. That means more revenue coming to them for each launch of the rocket. If you cut down the size of them to 1/10th size that would be a great reduction in the revenues coming to them from those solids.

Robert Clark

Last edited by RGClark (2023-06-25 06:57:40)

#56 2023-06-23 15:12:35

RGClark
Website

tahanson43206 wrote:

For RGClark re topic ....

It is not clear to me that you actually have a background that would help you to convert what I'm sure you know into a flow that would be meaningful to readers of various backgrounds.
Your invocation of the Rocket Equation over and over again tells me you are (quite possibly) struggling with the challenge of expressing your ideas in a way that will stand up to scrutiny.

(th)

The rocket equation is the base equation rocket engineers use to estimate payload to orbit. But it does have limitations. A major limitation is it does not take into account thrust-weight ratio. A low TWR rocket like the two Vulcain case I was proposing, would require higher delta-v than what an only rocket equation calculation would suggest. Better is to use payload estimators such as on SilverbirdAstronautics.com. However, that is also only an estimator at perhaps 10% accuracy.
Best would be to use an actual rocket trajectory simulator such as NASA uses. Such are ITAR controlled however, and are not just given out willy nilly.

Robert Clark

Last edited by RGClark (2023-06-23 15:20:33)

#57 2023-06-23 17:32:14

tahanson43206

For RGClark re #56

ITAR is an excuse to avoid doing the work needed to support your initiative.

I would like to point out that the ITAR regulations came AFTER the entire Moon Landing program!

I expect that if you used 1960's software, you'd be able to solve the problem.

Modern microcomputer hardware is more than powerful enough to solve these problems.

What software do you need?

About 783,000 results (0.32 seconds)
The AECA and ITAR were enacted in 1976 during the Cold War with USSR and were intended to implement unilateral arms export controls that reflected those imposed on Eastern Bloc countries by the multilateral Coordinating Committee for Multilateral Export Controls.

(th)

#58 2023-06-23 19:49:32

kbd512
Administrator

The newton-second (also newton second; symbol: N⋅s or N s) is the unit of impulse in the International System of Units (SI). It is dimensionally equivalent to the momentum unit kilogram-metre per second (kg⋅m/s). One newton-second corresponds to a one-newton force applied for one second.

MNs = MegaNewton-second, or 1,000,000 Newton-seconds

Ariane 6 launcher requirements for solid rocket motor

From Page 3 of the above linked document:

P120C Minimum total impulse in vacuum (MN.s): 380

380MNs = 380,000,000 Newton-seconds of total impulse per P120C motor, so 760MNs for both motors

Vulcain 2.1 has a mass flow rate of 326kg/s and a vacuum thrust of 1,371kN / 1.371MN (obviously thrust will be lower than this at sea level)

140,000kg of propellant / 326kg/s of total propellant mass flow through the engine = 588.77s of total firing time

1 Vulcain 2.1: 588.77s * 1.371MN = 807.2MNs
2 Vulcain 2.1: 294.385s * 2.742MN = 807.2MNs
3 Vulcain 2.1: 196.257s * 4.113MN = 807.2MNs
4 Vulcain 2.1: 147.1925s * 5.484MN = 807.2MNs

ESA / ArianeSpace lied about Vulcain 2.1.  They increased the efficiency of the Vulcain 2.1 engine by quite a bit, which is why they need less propellant in the core stage.  Vulcain 2.0's mass flow rate is noticeably higher.

This is apples-to-apples, BTW.  Newton-seconds of force are what all launch vehicles require to accelerate to orbital velocity.  I will 100% agree with RGClark that solids look pretty awful in terms of efficiency when compared to LH2 engines, but if you read the booster requirements from the document linked to above, you'll see that the solid boosters are doing multiple things for Ariane launch vehicles, namely keeping vehicle acceleration rates inside a very carefully drawn set of lines.  Could LH2 do the same thing with less weight?  I know it would, but at what cost?  You're not going to strap a couple more LH2 engines to the core stage and throw the same payload to orbit.  That will not happen.

Thrust goes up by adding engines, but if all engines are burning the same amount of propellant per second, then the total impulse remains unchanged.  In other words, the total amount of force applied to the back-end of the rocket does not change, not even by a little bit.

Now I know why I get a little more than half as much payload as the A62 configuration.  I'm giving up a little less than half of the potential force I can use to accelerate the payload into orbit.  I can potentially make the core stage and upper stage propellant tanks even lighter with CFRP, but that's the extent of what I can do to meaningfully improve payload performance.  Upper stage matters the most, but it's already pretty light when empty.

You cannot throw away half of your total impulse and accelerate the same tonnage of payload to the same final velocity.  Basic physics forbids that.  You will have reduced gravity and potentially reduced drag losses by accelerating a bit faster to clear the thick lower atmosphere faster, but those are relatively minor, given the acceleration rates involved here.  A bigger question is, "Can the payload handle the increase in acceleration rate to clear the lower atmosphere faster, and can the rocket survive the increased aerodynamic and thermal loads associated with a faster acceleration rate?"

See these manuals for answers to those questions:

ARIANE 6 USER’S MANUAL ISSUE 2 REVISION 0 FEBRUARY 2021

Ariane 6 User's Manual for Multi-Launch Service (MLS) Issue 0, revision 0 July 2021

#59 2023-06-23 19:56:14

tahanson43206

This post follows #68 by kbd512 ....

For what it may be worth ...

Hello Again, 2023/06/23
User
tahanson43206

User
Hello Again on 2023/06/23
ChatGPT
Hello! It's nice to see you again on June 23, 2023. How can I assist you today?

User
This is a request for help finding open source software to design a rocket system.  The folks involved are discussing possible configurations of the European Union Ariane launchers. A member of the group has proposed replacing solid fuel booster rockets with liquid ones. Other members of the group have attempted to convince the first member that the all liquid idea is not superior to the current hybrid combination of solids around a liquid core.  Everyone involved is familiar with the Rocket Equation, but what we are looking for is software available to the general public that would permit reasonably accurate predictions of performance for various configurations of the Ariane launcher.  Are you familiar with any resources that might be available?

ChatGPT
Certainly! There are several open-source software tools available that can help in the design and performance analysis of rocket systems. Here are a few options that you can explore:

OpenRocket: OpenRocket is a free, open-source rocket simulation software. It allows you to design and simulate rockets of various configurations. While it may not be specific to the Ariane launchers, it provides a flexible platform to analyze rocket performance based on different parameters and components.

RASAero: RASAero is an open-source aerodynamic analysis and flight simulation software specifically designed for rockets. It can be used to analyze the aerodynamic characteristics of different rocket configurations and predict their flight performance.

CEARUN: CEARUN (Combined Environment for Autonomous Rendezvous and Uncontrolled Noncooperative) is an open-source software package that focuses on simulating launch vehicle ascent trajectories and guidance systems. It provides a comprehensive environment for analyzing and optimizing rocket performance.

Systema: Systema is an open-source rocket trajectory optimization tool. It allows you to simulate and optimize the trajectory of launch vehicles. While it may require some customization for specific rocket configurations, it can be a valuable tool for performance analysis.

These software tools can provide you with a starting point to analyze and predict the performance of various rocket configurations, including those related to the Ariane launchers. Keep in mind that the accuracy of the predictions will depend on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made during the simulation.

Please note that it's always important to consult domain experts and validate the results obtained from these tools before making any critical design decisions.

User
Thank you ** very ** much, once again!  Best wishes for success in serving your thousands of fans world wide!  Catch you next time!
ChatGPT
You're very welcome! I'm glad I could assist you. Thank you for your kind words and best wishes. I'll be here whenever you need assistance. Take care and have a great day!

Regenerate response
Send a message

Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 24 Version

(th)

#60 2023-06-23 20:03:51

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

Thanks for hunting down better resources for us to use to model the performance of this proposed launch vehicle.

#61 2023-06-24 06:16:12

tahanson43206

For All ...

GW Johnson sent a new document and image to address the specific question posed in this topic.

This post is reserved for a link to the document, and for a link to the image.

The document clearly shows that both kbd512 and RGClark are right, if the launch is divided into first stage and second stage.

The first stage must provide massive thrust, and lower ISP is acceptable for that mission.  The upper stage must provide maximum acceleration, and high ISP is essential for that mission.

Below is a link to the paper:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcdi8gp192omf … f.pdf?dl=0

Next, I'll be adding a link to the image...
4RjvzZV.png

(th)

#62 2023-06-24 13:21:17

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

This thread is quite clearly about replacing the solid rocket boosters on the first stage with more LH2-fueled Vulcain 2.1 engines on the core stage, and somehow maintaining Ariane-6 A62's payload performance.  It has nothing to do with replacing / modifying / altering the upper stage, which is already LH2-fueled.  No claims were made by RGClark or myself about replacing the upper stage.  We both agree that we should keep some kind of LH2-fueled upper stage.  I'll wager that even GW agrees with that sentiment.

RGClark's essential assertion is that we can put more Vulcain 2.1 engines on the first stage and achieve payload performance similar to what the solid rocket boosters provide, for less cost.  I have shown in no uncertain terms why we cannot do that.  You cannot throw away half of the total force used to accelerate your rocket during its boost phase and expect to achieve the same or similar payload performance, merely because LH2 is a more efficient propellant than solids (rocket fuel economy).  That's basic physics 101.  RGClark is an astrophysicist, from what I understand, which means he should know better than to make such claims.

RGClark's claim about the total mass vs thrust inefficiency of solids vs LH2 is very correct, but misses the point entirely.  Each P120C solid rocket booster weighs an almost identical amount to an Ariane-6 core stage, which is powered by 1 LH2-fueled Vulcain 2.1 engine, yet provides half as much total impulse.  I agree that the solids are quite inefficient by way of comparison with Vulcain 2.1, but that's not really the point of having them.  They provide 87% of the total thrust at liftoff, throttle back sharply during Max-Q, then throttle up sharply to maintain acceleration, and also contribute almost half of the total impulse during the boost phase of flight.

To replicate payload performance, you need a completely redesigned core stage with almost twice as much propellant and 9 Vulcain 2.1 engines.  There goes all of your supposed cost savings.  You will get a weight savings, but that's more modest than you'd think it would be.  You have then successfully re-created Ariane-6 A62 with its pair of P120C solids or a Delta-IV Medium with its 4 GEM-60 solids.  You'll do a little better than both, in point of fact.  Your 9 Vulcain 2.1 engines give you thrust almost identical to 3 RS-68A engines, but now you're dragging a much heavier and somewhat greater diameter core stage through to the very end of the boost phase of flight.  Your payload performance to LEO will likely be almost identical to a Delta-IV Medium, which is better than the Ariane-6 A62.

Each Vulcain 2.1 costs 10M euros.  Each P120C costs 30M to 40M euros.  Now you need 9 Vulcain 2.1 engines.  The extra engine was added by me, because now you're dragging all that additional weight through the entire boost phase of the flight, instead of staging most of it off the way the Ariane-6 A62 configuration does when it dumps the pair of P120Cs after they burn out 135s into the boost phase.  Now you have both met and exceeded the cost of the pair of P120Cs.  Now you have the thrust capability of the 3 LH2-fueled RS-68As of the Delta-IV Heavy, using decidedly more efficient engines.  Unfortunately, you also have far less propellant to play with, therefore less total impulse available to accelerate the vehicle during its boost phase of flight.  All that had to be done, in order to get rid of the solids, and produce a modest performance improvment.  We created a LH2-fueled Falcon-9 2.0 booster that costs about twice as much as a Falcon-9 booster core.

Doing this will make Ariane-6 even less cost-competitive with Falcon-9.  It's the wrong concept.  I've said that before, and this is why.  Short of a completely redesigned booster using RP-1 or LCH4 fuel / engines, and making the booster fully reusable on top of that, there is nothing else you can do to Ariane-6 to make it cost-competitive with the Falcon-9, nevermind Starship.  Using LH2 fuel, which is derived from CH4 at great energy cost, doesn't magically make rockets cheaper to build and fly.  It does grant vastly more energy / total impulse to upper stages to accelerate payloads into orbit, after the booster stage has delivered the upper stage and payload to space.  As a booster propellant, it tends to make the entire vehicle much larger and therefore more costly to fabricate.

ESA and ArianeGroup still provide a valuable service to global space flight endeavors, and they're very creative in their own way, but they're operating on concepts that made more sense 20 to 30 years ago.  America, China, and other nations are already moving on to more practical launch vehicle concepts that reduce the total cost of space flight, even if none of them are as mass-efficient as LH2 theoretically should be.

If the underlying problem is the cost of your individual rocket components, then you figure out how to solve those problems.  SpaceX figured out how to make a Raptor rocket engine for $1M to $2M per copy.  All 39 engines on the Starship cost about the same as the pair of P120C solid rocket motors on the Ariane-6.  If Ariane-6 had enough 1MN Vulcain 2.1 engines to replace the P120C solids, they'd still cost more than dozens of 2MN Raptor engines installed on Starship.  This is the problem ArianeGroup actually needs to solve.

Perhaps VW Group can help solve that problem by using an automotive-style assembly line.  I don't know enough about Vulcain 2.1 manufacturing practices to know why a 1MN thrust gas generator engine costs 5 times more than a 2MN thrust full-flow staged combustion engine.  Both engines purportedly use extensive additive manufacturing to make the most complex and therefore costly parts.  Europeans have workers who are every bit as intelligent and industrious as American workers, so something else is driving manufacturing costs through the roof.  Figure that out, and ArianeGroup can build cost-competitive rockets.

#63 2023-06-25 07:18:37

RGClark
Website

tahanson43206 wrote:

This post follows #68 by kbd512 ....

For what it may be worth ...

Hello Again, 2023/06/23
User
tahanson43206

User
Hello Again on 2023/06/23
ChatGPT
Hello! It's nice to see you again on June 23, 2023. How can I assist you today?

User
This is a request for help finding open source software to design a rocket system.  The folks involved are discussing possible configurations of the European Union Ariane launchers. A member of the group has proposed replacing solid fuel booster rockets with liquid ones. Other members of the group have attempted to convince the first member that the all liquid idea is not superior to the current hybrid combination of solids around a liquid core.  Everyone involved is familiar with the Rocket Equation, but what we are looking for is software available to the general public that would permit reasonably accurate predictions of performance for various configurations of the Ariane launcher.  Are you familiar with any resources that might be available?

ChatGPT
Certainly! There are several open-source software tools available that can help in the design and performance analysis of rocket systems. Here are a few options that you can explore:

OpenRocket: OpenRocket is a free, open-source rocket simulation software. It allows you to design and simulate rockets of various configurations. While it may not be specific to the Ariane launchers, it provides a flexible platform to analyze rocket performance based on different parameters and components.

RASAero: RASAero is an open-source aerodynamic analysis and flight simulation software specifically designed for rockets. It can be used to analyze the aerodynamic characteristics of different rocket configurations and predict their flight performance.

CEARUN: CEARUN (Combined Environment for Autonomous Rendezvous and Uncontrolled Noncooperative) is an open-source software package that focuses on simulating launch vehicle ascent trajectories and guidance systems. It provides a comprehensive environment for analyzing and optimizing rocket performance.

Systema: Systema is an open-source rocket trajectory optimization tool. It allows you to simulate and optimize the trajectory of launch vehicles. While it may require some customization for specific rocket configurations, it can be a valuable tool for performance analysis.

These software tools can provide you with a starting point to analyze and predict the performance of various rocket configurations, including those related to the Ariane launchers. Keep in mind that the accuracy of the predictions will depend on the accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made during the simulation.

Please note that it's always important to consult domain experts and validate the results obtained from these tools before making any critical design decisions.

User
Thank you ** very ** much, once again!  Best wishes for success in serving your thousands of fans world wide!  Catch you next time!
ChatGPT
You're very welcome! I'm glad I could assist you. Thank you for your kind words and best wishes. I'll be here whenever you need assistance. Take care and have a great day!

Regenerate response
Send a message

Free Research Preview. ChatGPT may produce inaccurate information about people, places, or facts. ChatGPT May 24 Version

(th)

I’m glad they started adding that disclaimer to the ChatGPT responses.

Openrocket and Rasaero are used by amateur solid rocket makers to estimate the altitude their rockets can reach. They can only calculate altitude for a rocket going straight up. They can’t do a rocket that must follow a curved trajectory to reach the needed horizontal, i.e., tangential velocity for orbit.

I looked at CEARUN and the only use I found on the web site is for calculating performance of rocket engines given propellant, chamber pressure, etc. I’d like to use a trajectory optimization option if anyone can find it on the web page.

For “Systema” I haven’t been able to find it after a web search. ChatGPT has been known to literally invent references that don’t exist. Several researchers have noticed this odd bug in the program. And in one case a lawyer was censured by a judge for citing references in a legal filing he got from ChatGPT that didn’t actually exist.

Robert Clark

Last edited by RGClark (2023-06-25 07:29:08)

#64 2023-06-25 07:32:22

RGClark
Website

This page gives a good explanation of the importance of the rocket equation for orbital rockets:

Rocket Science.
https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/rocket_science/

See also the two videos at the end by astronaut Donald Pettit and Scott Manley.

Robert Clark

#65 2023-06-25 08:01:45

tahanson43206

For RGClark ... thanks for your follow up ....

I have GMAT installed but haven't done much with it.  It requires MATLAB which requires a license.  It also requires an older version of Python, and I have not taken the time to install the older Python.  I think it is feasible for NewMars members to begin investigation of GMAT.  It might be possible to persuade Mars Society to pay for a MATLAB license if a sufficient number of Mars Society members would be interested in using it.  MATLAB is also licenses to universities, so a university student might have access to the package. 

The key there would be to find a university student who is interested in design of a two stage rocket.

Alternatively, if we have a NewMars member who can afford the MATLAB license, then we could cheer that person on, and study the results they present.

This alternative future is NOT out of the question ....If ** I ** can install GMAT anyone can intstall GMAT.

I am willing to ask GMAT some questions if you would like to have me do that.  I opened a topic about GMAT ...  a fair amount of information is posted there, and I can provide more, or a member can contribute to the topic.

(th)

#66 2023-06-25 08:02:06

tahanson43206

From RGClark:

For “Systema” I haven’t been able to find it after a web search. ChatGPT has been known to literally invent references that don’t exist. Several researchers have noticed this odd bug in the program. And in one case a lawyer was censured by a judge for citing references in a legal filing he got from ChatGPT that didn’t actually exist.

Hello Again 2023/06/25

User
tahanson43206

User
Hello again on 2023/06/25
ChatGPT
Hello! It's nice to see you again on June 25, 2023. How can I assist you today?

User
We have a follow up question. In an earlier session, you kindly provided the names of software that might be used to calculate rocket trajectories.  We have investigated the names you provided, but one name did not show up in a search. I'm hoping you can look again, and this time provide a reference for "Systema".   Here is a quote from a team member "For “Systema” I haven’t been able to find it after a web search."

ChatGPT
I apologize for any confusion caused. However, I must clarify that "Systema" is not a specific software program for calculating rocket trajectories. It seems there might have been a misunderstanding or a miscommunication.

When it comes to calculating rocket trajectories, there are several software applications commonly used in the aerospace industry. Some of these include:

STK (Systems Tool Kit) by AGI (Analytical Graphics Inc.): STK is a widely used software for modeling, analyzing, and visualizing aerospace systems, including rocket trajectories.

FreeFlyer by a.i. solutions: FreeFlyer is another popular software tool for mission planning, analysis, and simulation, which can be used to calculate rocket trajectories.

GMAT (General Mission Analysis Tool) by NASA: GMAT is an open-source software designed for space mission analysis and spacecraft trajectory optimization.

These are just a few examples of software commonly used in the field. If you are looking for a specific software program or have further questions, please provide more details, and I'll do my best to assist you.

User
Thanks for the reminder of GMAT .... I've installed the package but found that it depends upon MATLAB which is available for a fee.  Thanks for the additional suggestions of STK and FreeFlyer, which we had not heard of previously.  Thanks too, for your graceful withdrawal of "Systema". That is a name which someone might well want to use at some point, and your training material might well have included the name left over from something else.

ChatGPT
You're welcome! I apologize for any confusion regarding "Systema." As an AI language model, I don't have direct access to my training data or know the specifics of how the training data was curated. However, I can assure you that "Systema" was not intended to refer to a specific software for calculating rocket trajectories. It's possible that it was a miscommunication or a misunderstanding.

I'm glad to hear that you found the suggestions of STK and FreeFlyer helpful. Both of these software packages are widely used in the aerospace industry and can provide robust capabilities for calculating rocket trajectories, mission planning, and analysis. If you have any further questions or need assistance with anything else, feel free to ask. I'm here to help!

Regenerate response
Send a message

(th)

#67 2023-06-25 10:41:26

tahanson43206

For RGClark re topic ...

I asked Google about Open Source Rocket Design, and it came back with a lot of model rocket design offers.

However, ** this ** one looks a bit different:

RockSim Information

Apogee Rockets
https://www.apogeerockets.com › RockSim › RockSi...
RockSim is a computer program that allows you to design any size rocket then simulate its flight to see how high and fast it will fly! Even before you start ...

OK ... apogee ** is ** a model rocket company ...

ut 1,270,000 results (0.44 seconds)

Apogee Rockets
Apogee Rockets
https://www.apogeerockets.com
Item 9 - 38 — Apogee Components is dedicated to helping you achieve your model rocketry goals and taking you as far as you want to explore. Whether it be your ...
Model Rocket Kits
Easy assembly is a major goal whenever we at Apogee ...
Building Supplies
Body Tubes - Nose Cones - Parachutes - Centering Rings
Rocket Motors
Looking for the largest selection of rocket engines with same-day ...
High Power Rockets
Apogee Rockets : High Power Rockets - Model Rocket Kits ...
More results from apogeerockets.com »

As a follow up, I sent an inquiry through their contact form.  The capcha interface is more challenging than some I've encountered.

A group of members of the Mars Society is discussing variations on the EU Ariane rocket. The discussion has progressed beyond hand waving.  There is a program called GMAT that might be suitable. I don't know enough about it.  Google found your company when I asked for rocket simulation software.  Model rockets are important and I'm glad there are folks building them. Hopefully an interest in model rockets will lead to a professional career in some cases. I am a (Junior) Moderator at NewMars.com/forums.
tahanson43206

(th)

#68 2023-06-25 12:03:20

tahanson43206

For RGClark ...

I asked Google how much fuel / propellant SpaceX holds back to return a Falcon 9 booster to launch pad or landing platform. 

According to SpaceX, they require about 30% fuel reserve to return the first stage of Falcon 91. The first stage incorporates nine Merlin engines and aluminum-lithium alloy tanks containing liquid oxygen and rocket-grade kerosene (RP-1) propellant. Falcon 9 generates more than 1.7 million pounds of thrust at sea level2.

Now taking that as a reasonable estimate for your all-liquid Ariane idea, and adding a requirement that all first stage elements must be recoverable, I am imagining that the most boosters that could be clustered would be five.

If you ever find software able to run ** those ** numbers, I'd definitely be interested in knowing how ** that ** configuration would perform.

(th)

#69 2023-06-25 12:55:41

kbd512
Administrator

Delta-IV Heavy weighs 710t and is entirely LH2-fueled.  Max payload to LEO is 28.79t.  Payload to fully fueled rocket mass ratio is 4.055%.  My earlier figures were off somehow.  The last Delta-IV Heavy launch cost the American tax payers $350M (what NASA paid ULA to launch Orion).  NRO pays $440M to launch spy satellites.

Ariane-6 A64 weighs 860t and has a LH2-fueled core stage and 4 solid P120C strap-on boosters.  Max payload to LEO is 21.65t  Payload to fully fueld rocket mass ratio is 2.52%.  Cost is purported to be $115M.

Delta-IV Heavy 5M diameter CBC managed to get a payload performance improvement of 1.535% using LH2 only, over Ariane-6 A64's LH2 and solid strap-on boosters.  However, Delta-IV Heavy also costs more than 3 times what Ariane-6 A64 does, and ArianeGroup intends to launch far more often than Delta-Anything ever managed to launch.  For the same money spent, ESA can launch 3 Ariane-6 A64 rockets and deliver 64.95t to LEO, so 3X better than Delta-IV Heavy.

Delta-IV Medium 4M diameter core stage with 2 GEM-60 solid boosters could deliver 12t to LEO.  It weighed 317.846t.  Payload to fully fueled rocket mass ratio is 3.775%.  The most performant 5M triple CBC, all-LH2-fueled variant named Delta-IV Heavy showed a payload (to LEO) to total rocket mass ratio improvement of 0.225% over the Delta-IV Medium 4M diameter core stage with 2 GEM-60 solids.

Vulcain 2.1 offers a 22s vac Isp improvement over RS-68A, but a 47s decrease at sea level, assuming sl Isp of Vulcain 2.1 is identical to Vulcain 2.0.  Vulcain thrust optimization makes sense to me, because Ariane-6 A62 and A64 (2.05:1 at liftoff for A62) both have a better TWR than Delta-IV Heavy (1.35:1 at liftoff).  Ariane-6 gets out of the lower atmosphere faster as a result (what I previously referred to as "getting out of its own way"), so optimizing Vulcain Isp / thrust for upper atmosphere operation over sea level operation buys more payload performance for Ariane-5 and Ariane-6 than it does for Delta-IV Heavy (why it made sense to optimize RS-68A more for sea level than vacuum thrust), which has rather anemic initial acceleration.  Short of going to much higher chamber pressures or full-flow staged combustion, I don't know how much more specific impulse improvement they could possibly get, in comparison to the current Vulcain 2.1 engines.

RS-25 (LOX/LH2): Isp 366s (sl), 452s (vac); thrust 189,602kgf (sl), 222,714kgf (vac); weight 3,527kg
RS-68A (LOX/LH2): Isp 365s (sl), 410s (vac); thrust 319,783kgf (sl), 362,874kgf (vac); weight 6,686kg
Vulcain 2.0 (LOX/LH2): Isp 318s (sl), 434s (vac); thrust 95,343.5kgf (sl), 137,662kgf (vac); weight 1,686kg
Vulcain 2.1 (LOX/LH2): Isp unknown (sl), 432s (vac); thrust unknown (sl), 139,803kgf (vac); weight 1,650kg
Raptor 2 (LOX/LCH4): Isp 327s (sl), 378s (vac); thrust 230,000kgf (sl), 358,338kgf (vac); weight 1,600kg

RS-25's staged combustion obviously buys the most performance improvement, and full-flow staged combustion absolutely maximizes it.

The only way to add more LH2 power to Ariane-6 is to further increase the diameter of the core stage.  Otherwise, the rocket won't fit in the high bay at Kourou.  Look at the link I posted to the user manual.  However, this should leave plenty of room for the 9 Vulcain 2.1 engines and additional propellant required to address the loss of 48.5% of the first stage's total impulse.

If Ariane-6 A64 only costs $115M (I think the actual cost of the A62 configuration is now up to $200M), then 9 of those $10M Vulcain 2.1 engines will make the launch even more expensive than it already is ($10M more than the pair of P120Cs on the A62), unless the rest of the rocket is of very nominal cost as a result of the required changes.  This will obvious incur additional billions of Euros for rocket redesign, since the core / booster stage needs to carry about 48.5% more propellant (207.9t; a bit more than the 5M diameter Delta CBC) and 8 more engines, the upper stage or at least the adapter requires redesign, and the flight control software requires redesign.  You're starting from scratch with an unknown quantity.  The Vulcain 2.1 engines are well-proven, but the rest of the vehicle is completely new and untested.

What do we get for all of this total redesign trouble?

A reprise of Delta-IV Medium with a modestly better payload mass fraction, modestly more payload, and equal or slightly worse economic viability.

Why is that a "good deal"?

Someone has an agenda they wish to pursue.

#70 2023-06-25 13:14:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

The Delta rocket family came about due to the first shuttle fail as the military had no other means to launch any of their satellites but it's the ULA combining of parts from Atlas and Delta that caused the real rise in costs to launch.

#71 2023-06-25 14:05:26

kbd512
Administrator

SpaceNut,

Delta-IV was still far less costly than a Space Shuttle launch.  The only parts that were combined, so far as I'm aware, were the RL-10 powered upper stages (used across multiple families of satellite launchers due to their performance) and the GEM solid rocket boosters.  Back when Atlas-V and Delta-IV initially became operational, they were 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a STS launch, or less.  Falcon-9 is about 1/3 the cost of the Atlas-V, and Falcon Heavy is less than 1/3 of what NRO was paying for Delta-IV launches before ULA retired the vehicle because it couldn't compete with Falcon Heavy.  SpaceX offered NRO and NASA an even better deal than that, but they won't pay for launch insurance, so the cost of Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy launches remains much higher than necessary.  SpaceX's cost to refly a Falcon-9 rocket is purportedly around $20M, so with each launch they make about 200% profit, free and clear.  Since they launch like rockets are going out of style, the profits on the balance sheet add up rather quickly, which is how they've been able to sustain so much development on shoestring budgets.  All of the profits get reinvested into the company, so over the past 5 years or so, amazing things have happened.

ULA and ArianeGroup are beholden to their shareholders.  SpaceX and Blue Origin are not.  That's why we get new engines, new rockets, and new spacecraft from them on a routine basis.  Granted, Blue Origin has been toying with stuff more than putting it into operation, but since they don't have to show a profit every single year, and more profit than the last year, they can do development work that would bankrupt publicly traded companies after the new investments dry up.

This is why owner-operator companies are a good thing.  They foment real change.  Governments are theoretically capable of doing the same thing, but unless some external motivating factor like a war is dragging them along, kicking and screaming, they develop tech for "scientific curiosity's sake", and then do little to nothing with it, except handing it off to a private company that will then figure out how to use it to do something people are willing to pay money for.

Anyway, bets have been placed and the dice are rolling.  When they stop, only then will we know the final impact of the decisions made.  I'm betting on fully reusable rockets.  Others are betting on a mix of lower-cost expendable and partially reusable rockets.  Various forms of engine / propellant / concept of operations tech have been rolled out to muddy the waters a bit.  It should be interesting, to say the least.

#72 2023-06-25 14:52:20

tahanson43206

For RGClark re topic ...

kbd512 asked an interesting question in a recent post ....

Is there an agenda that goes with this topic?

I had thought there was, but now I'm less sure.

(th)

#73 2023-06-25 15:55:08

kbd512
Administrator

tahanson43206,

The explicitly stated agenda behind this topic is as follows:

"We're going to get rid of the P120C solid rocket motors and somehow arrive at an Ariane-6 derivative vehicle that's roughly comparable with Falcon-9 in terms of cost and payload performance.  At a minimum, it must be more affordable and at least as performant as the Ariane-6 A62 configuration."

Unfortunately, we are not going to do that, because such a thing is not possible.  Hydrogen provides no "greater magic", merely because it's a bit more performant than solids or kerosene or methane.  ArianeGroup needs to figure out how to make Vulcain 2.1 engines cost about as much as Raptor 2 engines cost for that to happen (a 5X cost reduction over whatever they're doing right now), on top of that we need a completely redesigned rocket, and then it still won't compete with Falcon-9 in terms of cost because the booster, the most costly part of the rocket in the case of Ariane-6 and Falcon-9, is still not reusable.  That's the nature of the problem.  Ariane-6 and this proposed derivative of it that eliminates the P120C solids are the wrong concept to compete with the existing Falcon-9 and Falcon Heavy series of rockets.  They have no hope of competing with Starship over the long term, nor does Falcon-9 have any hope of competing with Starship.

The bar to compete internationally on total launch cost has been set so high that ESA needs entirely different rocket concepts to do it.  As of right now, Russia and China cannot compete.  That is what prompted China to design and begin testing, amongst other things, a reusable LCH4-fueled rocket.  Russia no longer has the funding to do much with their space flight program.  If the rest of the players in the market space hadn't already seen the writing on the wall, why else would China do such a thing?  Why would ULA and Blue Origin also focus on reusable boosters?  Everyone else is about 10 years behind the development power curve.  They weren't paying attention to SpaceX at first, but now that company has their undivided attention when it comes to the commercial launch vehicle market, because they will cede that business to SpaceX without providing competitive launch options.  China aims to compete with SpaceX on launch costs, and if possible, to beat SpaceX at their own game.  To do that, they need a resuable booster, at a minimum, and a very cheap fuel.

That's how I see current-state-of-play in this market space.  You need reusable boosters and cheap fuels to be relevant.  You ultimately must have fully reusable rockets and cheap fuels to remain relevant, long-term.  America has put everyone on notice.  If you have a special machine with special capabilities and we have a bonafide need for its capabilities, then we'll throw some money your way.  In all other cases, you're either going to compete or fail on your own merits.  In the space launch industry, right now there's mostly been a lot of failing going on because none of the requisite innovation was occurring until SpaceX / Blue Origin / Rocket Lab changed the nature of the game.  Having ULA or Boeing or Lockheed-Martin or ArianeGroup or ROSCOSMOS emblazoned on your team's jersey is no longer sufficient to play the game.

Despite assertions to the contrary, America is not the least bit shy about purchasing aerospace and defense items from foreign countries if they truly do have the most competitive piece of machinery available.  We use European rockets for their payload insertion accuracy, German cannons, Belgian and German small arms, various Swedish or Italian naval and medium caliber cannons and missiles, and we use vehicle protection systems from Israel.  That's why JWST launched aboard Ariane-5.  Ariane-5 was the best tool available for that job, so NASA gave it the nod.  What we won't tolerate is non-performing solutions that cost a lot more money than other available options.  This is an entirely sensible approach to procurement.  If all of our histoical defense-related procurement was subjected to the same level of scrutiny as it's been subjected to in very recent times, then there would be plenty of defense dollars left over for moon bases and Mars exploration.  Gold-plated solutions are no longer practical.

#74 2023-06-25 15:55:40

RGClark
Website

kbd512 wrote:

Ariane-6 A64 weighs 860t and has a LH2-fueled core stage and 4 solid P120C strap-on boosters.  Max payload to LEO is 21.65t  Payload to fully fueld rocket mass ratio is 2.52%.  Cost is purported to be $115M.
Delta-IV Heavy 5M diameter CBC managed to get a payload performance improvement of 1.535% using LH2 only, over Ariane-6 A64's LH2 and solid strap-on boosters.  However, Delta-IV Heavy also costs more than 3 times what Ariane-6 A64 does, and ArianeGroup intends to launch far more often than Delta-Anything ever managed to launch.  For the same money spent, ESA can launch 3 Ariane-6 A64 rockets and deliver 64.95t to LEO, so 3X better than Delta-IV Heavy…

The comparison to be made is to the Falcon 9, not to the Delta IV or Delta IV Heavy. If ArianeSpace only had to worry about those two Old Space launchers they would be quite happy since they are also overpriced.

The currently cited prices of the Ariane 6 are €75 million($80 million) for the Ariane 62 and €115 million($125 million) for the Ariane 64. Those prices are 2 to 3 times the price of the Falcon 9 used price. There is no way ArianeSpace will be able to survive offering commercial launches at those prices. They’ll either go bankrupt outright or, like ULA, offer themselves up for sale to prevent bankruptcy.

Robert Clark

Last edited by RGClark (2023-06-25 22:29:57)

#75 2023-06-25 18:15:10

kbd512
Administrator

RGClark,

Falcon-9 has a 4.153% payload mass fraction to orbit in expendable mode, and total payload is slightly greater than the Ariane-6 A-64 configuration, so RP-1 alone is already producing payload mass fractions on par with LH2 and solid fueled vehicle designs from 10 to 30 years ago, but at a drastically lower cost, even when you pay full price for the single-use expendable version.

The Isp of RP-1 and LCH4 is mid-way between solids and LH2, but it's cheaper than both as a booster propellant and increasingly making the other two propellant options irrelevant for medium to heavy lift.  LH2 provides a clear mass advantage for upper stages where the propellant tank volumes are more modest but most of the delta-V is contributed by the upper stage (where lots of thrust is far less important than thrust over time), which directly translates into increased payload and payload mass fraction, if not reduced cost.  LH2 causes tank volume and cost for the first / core / booster stage to balloon upwards to an unacceptable degree.  The solids are expensive to develop and make reliable at the sizes required, even if the propellant materials are still rather cheap.

This is why I stated that Ariane-6, so long as it remains powered by Vulcain and/or solids, is the wrong concept to compete with Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy.  Vulcan and New Glenn are both trending towards the right direction, but probably still won't compete.  In Vulcan's case, it's still throwing away most of the booster stage.  In New Glenn's case, Blue Origin will tinker with the design for another 5 to 10 years while SpaceX is engorging itself on most of the potential market share that New Glenn might otherwise have captured.  Rocket Labs may actually compete for business in the commodity commercial launch market.

I'm not a member of the SpaceX fan club, and would very much like to see real / true competition between all the various players to maintain a competitive market, if only to keep all the players honest and innovating.  Stagnation is where business goes to die.  The problem is that none of the other players seem to want to stay relevant by innovating.  They seem to blindly pursue whatever they think is interesting to work on or whatever someone is paying them to work on, without bothering to "look up" and notice that whatever they're building is unlikely to remain competitive in the near future.

The only real game changers I see for commercial launch are radical new concepts.

1. SpinLaunch for raw materials.  It's hard to see anything being cheaper than this for delivering metals and propellants to LEO.
2. RDE / Rotating Detonation-wave Engines.  Isp can potentially climb to as much as 3,000s, though not necessarily that high in a practical rocket engine suitable for a booster stage.
3. RAMGEN is supersonic inlet flow turbomachinery, which can grant drastic performance improvement to turbomachinery.
4. SABRE or similar combined cycle engines just might finally deliver on the promise of LH2.
5. Hybrid solids are another variation of combined cycle, and can potentially deliver the Isp of RP-1 in an even smaller package that uses cheaper fuel.

Those are the only innovative places left to go for chemical / conventional rocket engines.  Everything else is a race to the bottom of the cost barrel.  As it pertains to the latter case, Falcon-9 is the trend-setter.  You'll be fighting an uphill-all-the-way battle to achieve what SpaceX has had in the bag for about the past 10 years.  Block V is a fully mature launch vehicle that has availed itself of every possible performance advantage short of full-flow staged combustion.  If Merlin had that going for it, then beating it would be even more difficult.

If you tell me you want a brand new commercial launch vehicle that's going to be cost-competitive with Falcon-9, but it's booster is not burning kerosene or methane, and the booster stage isn't fully reusable on top of that, then I'm going to ask if you either have a revolutionary new engine that's mostly working as intended, or if you've been smoking something that's not legal in Texas.  As of right now, the list of not-quite competitive alternatives to Falcon-9 is Soyuz and Long March.  Both of those rockets still cost more than Falcon-9 by enough that you can buy 2 to 3 Falcon-9 launches for the same price as a Soyuz or Long March launch.  20 to 30 years ago, you couldn't get a launch for any less money than Soyuz or Long March.  Times have changed.  China has recognized this, and are perhaps the only ones to take it seriously enough to develop true competitor products.

Board footer