New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2023-04-25 14:44:17

Terraformer
Website

Bluesky Social (Twitter replacement)

Wiki Article

New social media... site I recently joined. The aim is to make social media more decentralised, more like the original web, with users having control over who hosts their content and what algorithms determine what they see.

Right now it's still in beta, without even a blocking function (it's harder to implement than in a centralised system) and a somewhat limited muting option. User curation hasn't arrived on-app yet, but since two weeks ago there's been an active developer community, as a result of a "dense subgraph of twitter power users" migrating over, that includes a lot of developers. Which... is nice, but there are *too many* software developers now. It seems everyone introducing themselves is a software dev.

Still spending a lot of time there. There's just a disappointing lack so far of people building actual things (atoms, not bits), or authors. A lot of Linkedin types, and now some actors and producers since someone invited James Gunn.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing since two weeks ago.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2023-04-25 18:20:47

tahanson43206

Re: Bluesky Social (Twitter replacement)

Thanks for adding this interesting new development to the NewMars environment!

Posts by others who may be trying this new network would be welcome.

(th)

Board footer