New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2003-10-09 22:37:18

Free Spirit
Banned

Re: New Space Commercialization Bill - HR 3245

HR 3245

I thought some of you might be interested in the above bill which seeks, for better or worse, to make regulations more favorable to commercial space activities, including human spaceflight (refer to Section 3(b)]  Perhaps the question we should be asking now is whether space should be open to those who are motivated only by profit.  Not surprisingly, the bill was authored by Rep. Rohrabacher who referred to the opponents of genetically modified foods as lunatics, slammed the suggestion that citizen juries should decide whether new technologies are fit to enter society, and supports ANWR oil drilling.  :angry:

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

#2 2003-10-09 23:36:21

sethmckiness
Banned

Well,  this is something that I believe will help us in the long run.  By making space more profitable, it will become less expensive to get there.

We are only limited by our Will and our Imagination.

#3 2003-10-10 06:23:37

Ad Astra

Space is a place for everybody.  If we restrict space access to only governments, that ideal will never be fulfilled.  This goal will be met when buying a ride into space is as simple as buying an airline ticket, and a trip to the moon is about as exciting as a trip to New York City.

Who needs Michael Griffin when you can have Peter Griffin?  Catch "Family Guy" Sunday nights on FOX.

#4 2003-10-10 08:52:40

Bill White

HR 3245

I thought some of you might be interested in the above bill which seeks, for better or worse, to make regulations more favorable to commercial space activities, including human spaceflight (refer to Section 3(b)]  Perhaps the question we should be asking now is whether space should be open to those who are motivated only by profit.  Not surprisingly, the bill was authored by Rep. Rohrabacher who referred to the opponents of genetically modified foods as lunatics, slammed the suggestion that citizen juries should decide whether new technologies are fit to enter society, and supports ANWR oil drilling.  :angry:

Can you summarize HOW this bill assists commercial space flight? Do you believe it would actually help anything?

#5 2003-10-10 23:29:27

Free Spirit
Banned

Well, it is a sign that the government is aware that space technologies are developing rapidly and that people maybe going into space sooner than later in a non-government capacity.  At least it appears that the government is willing to allow private spacefarers to go into space in the first place since the bill specifically mentions adding private human spaceflight to some other regulations.  The bill IS an indication of that.

My people don't call themselves Sioux or Dakota.  We call ourselves Ikce Wicasa, the natural humans, the free, wild, common people.  I am pleased to call myself that.  -Lame Deer

Board footer