New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#51 2022-09-27 14:42:38

GW Johnson
Website

Re: GW Johnson Postings

Hi Spacenut:

Yep,  there' a lot,  and the North Houston ISS wants another,  probably over the internet.  Not sure when. 

Just to let folks know,  I just had minor cancer surgery all this morning.  Successful,  they got it all.  That's the 3rd time,  so I'm a 3-time survivor now.  Not much pain,  but I have been bleeding quite a bit.  Wasn't really expecting that. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#52 2022-09-27 14:53:50

kbd512
Administrator

GW,

I hope you get to feeling better.  If you're still bleeding from the surgery and that hasn't stopped, then you need to go back to your primary physician or to your surgeon.  Seriously, have your wife drive you back to see the doctor again and let them know approximately how much.  At the very least, you need to call your physician and surgeon to let them know.

#53 2022-09-27 20:29:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

Good to hear but do not let it linger, as we need you to get well for sure. My stepdad he is 98, has had skin cancer removed several times and most recently a month ago from the years of exposure to diesel fuels to his hands.

#54 2022-09-28 13:48:21

GW Johnson
Website

Bleeding was no serious problem,  just a hard mess to deal with.  I got it all stopped yesterday afternoon late.  Changed bandage today.  Healing has begun,  but it will take a while.  My face looks like I was run over by a bus.

As for risks,  this is the 3rd skin cancer I have had removed in the last few decades.  Each time they get it all,  but another one sooner or later pops up.  Plus,  I have been exposed to many fuels and solvents over my life,  and to the very harsh chemistry of making composite solid propellant.  None of that bodes well for the future.  Not at age 72.

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2022-09-28 13:48:54)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#55 2022-10-01 20:37:21

tahanson43206

Dr. Johnson sent this updated list of presentations and papers by email ... alignments look good in the Edit window but not in the post view

List of Presentations 3            as of 1 Oct 2022                G. W. Johnson
Title                                                      what it is about
*How To Successfully Colonize Mars    using the lessons of history to guide how this should be done
*Engineering Lander/Rover for Mars    robot site evaluator for buried ice and soil bearing strength
*Orbital Propellant Depot                spin ullage makes transfer of cryogenics feasible in a depot
*“Starship” at Mars                            evaluations as Earth-Mars transport and as Mars “landing boat”
*Suit and Habitat Atmospheres        avoid long- and short-term hypoxia,  no pre-breathe low-P suits
Killer Asteroid Threat                    status of detection efforts and multiple deflection means
Big Ship Propulsion Studies                present and future propulsion for large orbit-orbit transports
Early High-Speed Experimental Planes    a look at the experimental planes that enabled supersonic jets
Mars Landing Boats                    rough-out 1-stage surf-LMO-surf chemical transports
Rocket Engine Calculations                estimates for from-scratch designs or reverse-engineering
Using Lunar Station Orbits                highly-elliptical lunar orbit enables cheaper propellants in LEO

These 11 exist as slideshow + presentation notes + submittable paper + abstract;  those 5 marked * were accepted for the 2022 convention of The Mars Society,  at ASU in Tempe AZ

Title                                             what it is about
Ceramic Heat Shields            robust low-density ceramic composites,  presented in 2011
Ethanol Experiments (2016)        cars and tractors and lawn equipment using E-85 or blends
Global Warming (updated 2022)    why it is real and what to do about it
How Things Burn (2009)            beyond the fire triangle;  takes on pool fires and flameholding
Mars 2016                        update to “clean sheet” Mars mission plan,  no presumptions
Spacecraft Orbit and dV Sizing    2022 update to how rocket vehicle performance gets estimated
“Warm Brick” Research Testing    documents small combustor and IR emitter work from 1984
Towed Hardbody Decoys        design analysis & criteria for stability & trim,  plus tow position

These 8 exist as slideshow + presentation notes only,  no paper or abstract.  Ceramic Heat Shields was given at the 2011 Mars Society convention in Grapevine (Dallas) TX.  It derives from a part of the Warm Brick work from 1984.  The Towed Hardbody Decoy work also dates from that time.

(th)

#56 2022-10-19 09:59:21

tahanson43206

If all is going to plan, Dr. and Mrs. Johnson will travel from Waco to Tempe, Arizona today.

For those who are interested in the well being of KT the Cat, he will be visited by a care giver regularly.

To see the latest schedule for talks by GW Johnson (5) and by BeerMan (1) see: www.marssociety.org

(th)

#57 2022-10-25 09:53:16

tahanson43206

This is a follow up on publication of the video record of the 25th Mars Society Convention...

For 30 days from the end of the convention, the videos of participants will be available for viewing by Virtual Ticket holders.

The following is taken from a summary of presentations by GW Johnson (there were five selected from a pool of 11 offered)

Gary Johnson
Biography
Dr. Johnson was born in east Texas in 1950. He grew up in Grand Prairie, Texas, graduating in 1968. He then attended the University of Texas at Austin, earning a BS in 1972 and an MS in 1974, both in aerospace engineering. As a graduate student, he tested Space shuttle noses in the hypersonic wind tunnel, and spent 1 summer at LTV Aerospace working on their “Scout” launcher.

He then went to work in the aerospace defense industry (back in the slide rule days) in new product R&D, and met and married wife Ellen. They have one son, James. He did rocket and ramjet propulsion work, and advanced aircraft and ballistic missile decoy work. This career involved design and analysis, testing, test facilities design, and flight tests in jet aircraft. Plant closure during a severe industry contraction forced a change after 2 decades.

Dr. Johnson then went into teaching in two tenures, separated by a stint in civil engineering doing fire protection design, water/wastewater permitting, foundation inspection and design, and cleanup and disposal of hazardous materials. The teaching included automotive and manufacturing technology,

aviation sciences, evening-adjunct engineering, math, and physics instruction.

It was during this second career that he earned a PhD late in life, in general engineering. His dissertation determined why and how ethanol fuel in piston aircraft engines increases power but decreases hardware temperatures.

Dr. Johnson is now retired, living on his ranch near McGregor, with his wife. He still occasionally builds and sells custom farm implements that kill prickly pear cactus out of farm and ranch pasturelands.

See Less
Appearing In
Session ended
04:00 - 09:00 PM
Analog Research & Facilities
Dr. Jonathan Clarke
Session ended
Humanity's Future
Eric Bethke
Session ended
Tech R&D A
Bernard Foing
Session ended
Tech R&D B
Doug Plata
Session ended
Tech R&D C
Oleg Mansurov

In days ahead, I will attempt to locate all five in the online archive.  I saw two live, and would like to see the other three.

So far, my observation is that the quality of audio and video produced by the Zoom Webinar is excellent.

A nod goes to the staff and volunteers of Mars Society, who demonstrated cool mastery of the technology involved.

(th)

#58 2022-10-25 09:55:33

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson ...

Please consider asking Executive Director James Burk for permission to copy the videos of your presentations to your personal YouTube channel.

While I could made the request, it would be third hand.  Your request would likely carry more (or perhaps a ** lot ** more) weight.

(th)

#59 2022-10-26 10:50:15

GW Johnson
Website

Tom:

I don't have a personal you-tube channel.  Never have figured out how to deal with it. I'm pretty sure published video files off the Mars Society site can be copied.  Sooner or later those 5 of mine will be up there.  My presentation on low density ceramic composite heat shield material at the Boulder convention is up there,  and that some years ago.   

All 5 presentations were well-received.  I had people stopping me in the halls,  on campus,  and even in the hotel,  telling me so. 

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2022-10-26 10:51:40)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#60 2022-10-26 11:13:22

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #59

Thanks for considering the YouTube channel idea.

Mars Society might be willing to help make it super-easy for you to publish on YouTube.

I can't do this part ... please drop a note to Executive Director James Burk and ask him:

Would you be willing to help me publish my five presentations on my own YouTube Channel?  This would include setting up the Channel.

What I'll do now is investigate to see if a GW Johnson channel already exists.

There are (it turns out) numerous folks the the name Gary Johnson.

(th)

#61 2022-10-26 11:18:37

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re YouTube ....

I found your video easily enough, using YouTube Channel GW Johnson as the search argument ...

You are right up there with the Right Reverend G. W. Johnson ...

All
NewsImagesVideosShoppingMore
Tools
About 2,370,000 results (0.59 seconds)

Apostle Dr. G.W. Johnson..... Wait on the Lord - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch

3:56:22
Apostle Dr. G.W. Johnson. ... If you would like to make a donation you may do so to our PayPal account : brownstownaapc@gmail.com.
YouTube · Apostolic Ark Headquarters · Nov 19, 2020

Stir up the Gift, Apostle Dr. G. W. Johnson - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch

PREVIEW
2:38:20
Stir up the Gift, Apostle Dr. G. W. Johnson ... would like to make a donation you may do so to our PayPal account : brownstownaapc@gmail.com.
YouTube · Apostolic Ark Headquarters · Oct 3, 2020
9 key moments in this video

Apostle GW Johnson - Praise Break - Part 2 - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch

PREVIEW
8:44
Apostle GW Johnson - Praise Break - Part 2 ... Apostle GW Johnson, Brown's Town Jamaica Part 1 ... Jonathan DesVerney Gospel Channel.
YouTube · gelsport01 · Mar 26, 2009

**** The "aerospace engineer" GW Johnson
Reusable Ceramic Heat Shields - 16th Mars Society Conventionhttps://www.youtube.com › watch

21:31
GW Johnson - Reusable Ceramic Heat Shields - 16th Mars Society Convention. 961 views961 views. Sep 4, 2013.
YouTube · The Mars Society · Sep 4, 2013

*** Back to the Right Reverend

Apostle G W Johnson At Bridgeport Apostolic Ark Convention ...https://www.youtube.com › watch

PREVIEW
1:15:16
Apostle G W Johnson At Bridgeport Apostolic Ark Convention 2018 Sunday Night. 11,263 views11K views. Jun 22, 2018.
YouTube · Kirky Bless Media · Jun 22, 2018

BugHouse SPIN Live Storytelling: Metro North by GW Johnsonhttps://www.youtube.com › watch

16:34
The BugHouse SPIN, where stories are told and ideas unfold, was a storytelling show produced by BugHouse Media/Martha Williams in New York ...
YouTube · Culture Shift Agency · Apr 10, 2015

GW KICKED Me Out of Warhammer World After I Messed Uphttps://www.youtube.com › watch

PREVIEW
18:51
INTRO SONG: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P1qW... New to miniature painting? Start here: http://beginner.miniac.co New to the channel?
YouTube · Miniac · Jun 20, 2022

5 key moments in this video

G.W. Jim Johnson, III - Extremity Trauma Grant Awards ...https://www.youtube.com › watch

PREVIEW
4:51
Jump into a Paldean Journey | Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet. The Official Pokémon YouTube channel. The Official Pokémon YouTube channel.
YouTube · AirliftResearchFD · Feb 10, 2010

JOHNSON BEST EPIC COME BACK - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › watch

PREVIEW
10:59
Hlo guy's ☺️ please support ROLEX 1k subscriber IM NOT A PRO GUYS. IM DOING MY BEST TO MAKE MY GAMEPLAY LOOKS GOOD I HOPE YOU ENJOY ...
YouTube · R O L E X gaming · 1 week ago

The Johnson Fam - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com › thejohnsonfam
FOREVER is Available Now and can be downloaded everywhere! Download "Forever" Here: https://song.link/i/1459670878 Subscribe to Our Channel!
Missing: GW | Must include: GW
Related searches

The thing that I notice is that the Mars Society seems to have a channel, which would make sense.

(th)

#62 2022-10-26 11:26:30

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re YouTube

You're really up against the big leagues (in the form of Apostle GW Johnson)...

One way that might make sense is to create a channel with the name: Engineer GW Johnson

It would be a ** lot ** easier for your audience to find your work on YouTube than on the blog.

Do you have any objection to someone (Mars Society or other) setting up a channel for you?

Once it is set up, the keys (ie, password) can be turned over to you and you can upload anything you want to publish.

Later update:

This might be a perfect example of how to use Zoom for collaboration

Here is a little video that shows how to get started...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKydtOXW8mI

If you are interested in collaboration, you can request a Zoom session so that NewMars members can watch as you go through the setup process.

That way, the password is yours from the start.

(th)

#63 2022-11-03 06:40:05

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re YouTube Handle....

Please visit YouTube and request a Handle.

That appears to be a first step towards creating your own channel.

You already have plenty of content to post their.

The Wordpress blog is fine for those who like words, and certainly many folks do.

However, expanding your presence onto YouTube is a way to reach a wider audience.

(th)

#64 2022-11-23 10:56:44

GW Johnson
Website

I didn't know where else to post this,  since it addresses multiple different topics.  GW

From 11-23-2022’s Daily Launch

Orion Soars Past The Moon

Aviation Week (11/21) reported that five days “into the Artemis I flight test, the Lockheed Martin-built Orion spacecraft soared past the Moon, successfully conducting a 2-min. 30-sec. firing of its shuttle-era maneuvering engine on Nov. 21 to set up a slingshot maneuver into deeper space.”

CBS News (11/21) reports NASA’s unpiloted Orion spacecraft “is operating in near-flawless fashion, mission managers reported Monday, out-performing expectations on a flight to pave the way toward the first piloted mission in 2024.” The Space Launch System rocket “that boosted the Orion capsule on its way early Wednesday showed it performed almost exactly as expected, taking off atop 8.8 million pounds of thrust and producing a ground-shaking shock wave that literally blew the doors off launch pad elevators.”

Aviation Week (11/22) reports NASA’s frontline personnel “are giving their Artemis I test flight high marks so far. Launched early Nov. 16, the uncrewed Orion spacecraft occupied by sensored mannequins to evaluate the deep-space environment is to complete its propulsive maneuvering into a Distant Retrograde Orbit.”

Space Avionics Built By L3Harris Helped Propel Artemis I Launch. Aviation Today (11/22) reports that Northrop Grumman “successfully launched NASA’s Artemis I on Nov. 16 with the help of L3Harris’s space avionics.” In order to help “the unmanned spacecraft hit 17,000 mph within the first eight minutes of the flight, L3Harris provided over 30 advanced space avionics systems.” These were used “in the core, upper stage avionics, and booster for Artemis I to enable remote control, help determine the trajectory of the flight, and provide a rocket booster jettison.”

Artemis I Rocket Damaged Mobile Launcher On Lift Off. Florida Today (11/22) reports that upon liftoff last week, Artemis I damaged a mobile tower with the rocket’s sheer power. At pad 39B, “the nearly 400-foot mobile launcher not only routed communications, propellants, and hardware support for SLS ahead of liftoff, but it also had to deal with the forces that came with supporting the world’s most powerful operational rocket. Elevator doors were blown off; the deck was scorched by heat; gas lines were dislodged; and even a swath of grass at the pad was burned to a yellow hue.” Teams on the ground are still assessing the damage and figuring out how to repair it.

My take on it: It appears the initial troubles with thrust instabilities in the 5-segment SRB’s has been licked well enough.  The later flights of the old Saturn-5 took place at about 8 million pounds of thrust,  triggering similar effects,  but there’s no one left at NASA old enough to remember what to do about it.  These effects increase very rapidly with thrust level,  which is why none of the “Nova” designs of 10+ million pounds thrust were ever built and flown. Wait till the try to launch a SpaceX Superheavy,  and see what those effects are!

Also from 11-23-2022:

NASA Delays Dangerous Asteroid-Search Mission

Bloomberg Government (11/21) reported that NASA’s search for dangerous asteroids is “preparing for a year-and-a-half delay after lawmakers and the Biden administration sought a budget cut.” The agency’s Near-Earth Object Surveyor mission, “a plan to launch a telescope into space to search for asteroids that could strike the Earth with more force than a nuclear bomb – ... [is faced with] a budget of only $80 million to $90 million in fiscal 2023 rather than the $170 million they asked for, mission director Amy Mainzer said in a phone interview.”

My take on it:  delaying this is a mistake.  It’s not a huge cost like SLS,  and unlike SLS,  it may actually contribute to protecting the Earth from an asteroid strike.  There is no better reason for a space mission or a space program than protecting the Earth.

Again from 11-23-2022:

New FAA Guidelines To Address Manual Flying Deficiency
FlightGlobal (11/23) reports that the Federal Aviation Administration “has issued wide-ranging recommendations aimed at ensuring airline pilots are properly trained to effectively manage highly-automated modern aircraft, without relying too much on technology.”

My take on it:  this is way overdue!

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

Board footer